Missionary Numbers plummet

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Missionary Numbers plummet

Post by Shulem »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:44 am
People die. It’s a fact of life. This pandemic has been horrific. But to hold Pres. Nelson accountable for these deaths is just plain silly. Yes, he called on believers to petition God for relief. That relief is coming. albeit slower than we would like. Much of it due to common sense and science. I wouldn’t hesitate to suggest that along the way there have been miracles.

Oh ye of little faith.

Regards,
MG

I'm actually of ZERO faith when it comes to Mormonism. For example: I have ZERO faith that there is a King's name in the writing of Facsimile No. 3, as it says in Mormon canon. I have absolutely NO faith in that scripture or claim.

Did not Moses lift up a brazen serpent and produce miraculous healing? Did he not lift up his rod and cause the waters to move? What has Nelson done other than have a worldwide hunger fest? Nothing! No miracles in sight. Oh, you suggest that maybe there has been some miracles all along that we don't know about -- kind of like the King's name in Facsimile No. 3, that we don't know about, right?

President NelSatan is a false prophet. He has no power other than the power of suggestion to lead his people into thinking he's a prophet just like Joe did when he led his people in Kirtland and Nauvoo to believe he could translate Egyptian and point out a royal King's name in hieroglyphic writing when all along he could not.

Right, I have No faith in Mormonism. It's been proven false. So, don't tell me that I'm of little faith because that does not accurately reflect the truth because I'm of NO faith when it comes to Mormonism.

There.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:08 am
mentalgymnast wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:22 am

The one you ignored...or can’t answer without sounding like a fool.

Regards,
MG
*bump...last time.

You’re a fool then, by default.

Regards,
MG

Only a fool in Kirtland and Nauvoo would have believed Joseph Smith when he said: "King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head."

That is a classic example of foolishness had in Mormonism and it continues today. Isn't that right?
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

IHAQ wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:24 am
huckelberry wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:11 am
Plummet, sounds like something that happens falling out of a tenth story window.That is a bit dramatic,
Take a look at the trajectory of the graph on the webpage. I'd say "plummet" is a pretty good word to use to describe it.
As I’ve mentioned earlier, I don’t think we should be surprised by the current data for reasons I’ve already expressed.

Regards,
MG
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

IHAQ wrote:
huckelberry wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:11 am
Plummet, sounds like something that happens falling out of a tenth story window.That is a bit dramatic,
Take a look at the trajectory of the graph on the webpage. I'd say "plummet" is a pretty good word to use to describe it.
It’s almost surprising that graphic is on the lds page. usually they put a little more effort into disguising such negative facts.
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Lem wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:22 pm
IHAQ wrote:
It’s almost surprising that graphic is on the lds page. usually they put a little more effort into disguising such negative facts.
I really don’t think there’s anything there to hide.

Regards,
MG
Last edited by mentalgymnast on Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

IHAQ wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:38 am
At the end of 2019 there were a reported 67,021 Missionaries.
The reported number for 2020 has now been posted on the Church's website and is stated as 54,000.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... statistics

It appears that this number is the only one so far on that page updated with 2020 figures.
It’s interesting, the graph shows 54,000, but if you click on the “learn more” link beneath it, you get this:

More than 67,000 full-time missionaries are serving missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
:roll:
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

IHAQ wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:15 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:38 pm
Another comment,

Let's let it sink in that the missionary count is roughly half of what these prophets, seers, and revelators expected it to be right now. Really...what happened? How were they so off?
"We're projecting out probably within four years," apostle Jeffrey R. Holland told a radio interviewer, "the base-line number for the missionary force will be something around 100,000."
https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php? ... type=CMSID

Jeffrey R. Holland, Prophet Seer & Revelator 2015
It's interesting that the exact opposite of what was projected has happened. Was this a case of people telling The Brethren what they thought they wanted to hear at the time? Has Holland ever explained how he got things so badly wrong?
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:44 am
Shulem wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:19 am

There were no signs or miraculous events led by the false prophet, Rusty-NelSatan. Moses lead the children of Israel through the Red Sea and escaped from the Egyptians but Rusty led the saints to terrible death and destruction.

Utah = 1,970 dead
Idaho = 1,876 dead
Arizona = 16,269 dead
For that to be true you would also have to hold one person accountable for these deaths (2019 stats). Do you hold God responsible for these deaths?

Heart disease: 659,041
Cancer: 599,601
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 173,040
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 156,979
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 150,005
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,499
Diabetes: 87,647
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 51,565
Influenza and Pneumonia: 49,783
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,511

So in 2019 we had, in the United States:

Number of deaths: 2,854,838
Death rate: 869.7 deaths per 100,000 population

People die. It’s a fact of life. This pandemic has been horrific. But to hold Pres. Nelson accountable for these deaths is just plain silly. Yes, he called on believers to petition God for relief. That relief is coming. albeit slower than we would like. Much of it due to common sense and science. I wouldn’t hesitate to suggest that along the way there have been miracles.

Oh ye of little faith.

Regards,
MG
This is all very interesting, MG. I'd be curious on your thoughts regarding the point raised--the Church projected near twice as many missionaries as there are today, just 5 or 6 years ago. I get the pandemic threw them for a loop, but even the year before they were far lower in terms of number of missionaries than they had projected. I would suggest something went wrong for such a miscalculation. I mean severely wrong. How could they have been that far off?

As it is the failed projection fits really well with the no God behind this position. It doesn't fit well with a God is behind it and speaking to the brethren position. we can look at the data and draw out expectations.

But since it was brought up....why are you on the defensive with regards to the pandemic? Are you saying without the saints, and others who might have joined, fasting on two occasions last year, there would be no relief coming for the pandemic? That'd be quite a claim. Are you basing that conclusion on your faith? The Pandemic and how it's played out fits snuggly with a no God position. I don't see how it fits well with a God. You seem to be saying if one just believes in God then you know there must have been miracles associated with the pandemic and God responded well to the saints offering a fast. You seem intent to chide people who lack faith, but it appears you are full of superstition or gullibility or both and are displaying your faith is but one of those. Why should anyone be superstitious as you describe, or why should anyone be gullible?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Maybe it's time to give wrong roads dodo a break? He was trying to sell kids and parents on a crap job that entails selling crap to the world. It's tough to do especially when the product being sold is so false. So, he exaggerated a little. 10 new stakes a week is just around the corner. Why not 200,000 missionaries tracting through the snow? Hyping numbers is a tried and true method until it isn't. But can we really blame the dodo for trying to save a sinking ship?

I think we can, but ..... help M.G., I got a little lost here .....
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Lower missionary #s for 2020 isn't too surprising. I recall being told at one point last summer that missionaries who had completed >1 years of service, were allowed to go home early and honorably. So it will take some time to work through that comparable.

Missionary counts exiting 2021 and at mid 2022 will be most telling.