Suggestions For Peter$on's Next Film

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Suggestions For Peter$on's Next Film

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Over at the discussmormonism.com obsession board, Priestcraft Peter$on makes the following announcement:
Peter$on wrote:I’ll let you in on a secret: Especially if this one does reasonably well and has an impact, we would like to do another film. We already have a specific subject in mind, though I won’t be disclosing that any time soon. We hope to put any and all funds generated by Witnesses toward that new film project, about which (candidly) I’m rather excited.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... qus_thread

I'm rather excited for Peter$on too. Here are a few suggestions for his next film:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: Suggestions For Peter$on's Next Film

Post by Doctor Scratch »

It's interesting to think about what a sophomore effort from "Interpreter Studios" might look like. Would it be better than the first film--sort of like how The Empire Strikes Back is better than the original Star Wars, or how The Dark Knight is better than Batman Begins? I think it depends on how ambitious they want to get, and knowing their legendarily out-of-control egomania, you had better believe that they'd be shooting for the moon--or slinging a macuahuitl at a ziggurat, rather. My instincts tell me that they would try to do an on-location depiction of ancient Book of Mormon stories: like, they would film it down in the Yucatan, and try to show how the Book of Mormon could have literally taken place there. The movie would attempt to address every criticism that's ever been leveled at the LGT and would show that, once you weigh all the evidence, there is a powerful reason to believe that the Book of Mormon could have taken place in Latin America.

Really, though, the possibilities are endless. Perhaps Dr. Peterson would want to do an autobiographical film? Maybe they want use the "powerful medium of film" to try to tackle issues related to the Book of Abraham. Frankly, I think it would be awesome to see them do a "hit piece" type film--i.e., a dramatic movie where horrible things happen to, e.g., flimsily disguised versions of Jeremy Runnells or John Dehlin. Maybe they could do an "alternative history" movie where the U.S. is like Nazi Germany, and the Mormons are treated like Jews. They could have Dehlin dressed up like one of the Nazi officers, and then, in a climactic scene, the hero could bash his head in with a baseball bat....Wait, didn't they already make this film? Or was that FAIRMormon?

The competition in the world of Mopologetic cinema keeps getting stiffer....
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Seven Brides For One Brother - one man’s story of multiple monogamy in the Wild West.

Gee Spot - one man’s search for recognition

The Maleficent Seven - a group of Mopologists shoot down a deaf kid with questions

Now You See It 3 - a band of magicians conjure up a third Watson letter

Around The World In Hatey Ways - a literacy-challenged munchkin tours the globe trying to split up successful marriages
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Love in the Time of Trump and COVID

I know, those are verboten subjects for Dr. Peterson, but it would make for an interesting movie.
I suppose we can make do with The Papyri That Touched the Sky.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

"Ghost Committees in the Sky: The Early Modern English Story"

See how two sons of prominent LDS concoct a sketchy story of a supposed pretranslation of the Book of Mormon and the people they sucked into the delusion.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

DCP's hope for another film is pretty slim imho! If the FP endorses the current film he might get enough TBM's to pony up the money for a ticket.
However the downsides are non-Mormon movie critics will give it a bloody review and also some TBMs might see the film and go to the internet and check for truthfulness on specifics on the weight of the plates, the credibility of the witnesses etc. More people will leave the church than TBMs see the film imho!

k
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

This is a pretty interesting development. Think about it, a non-profit took in over a million dollars of donations, which were then moved into a separate, for-profit LLC that is handled by an lds lawyer whose specialty is lds copyright issues. I'm sure the tax laws were technically followed, but now Peterson et al have a way to secure that any profits from the movie are privately handled, with no obligation to report to the non-profit that solicited the original donations. Sound familiar?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Lem wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:41 pm
This is a pretty interesting development. Think about it, a non-profit took in over a million dollars of donations, which were then moved into a separate, for-profit LLC that is handled by an lds lawyer whose specialty is lds copyright issues. I'm sure the tax laws were technically followed, but now Peterson et al have a way to secure that any profits from the movie are privately handled, with no obligation to report to the non-profit that solicited the original donations. Sound familiar?
Ah! That glorious Prosperity Gospel of for profit prophet Mormanity...... where the Mormon God blesses with money, because that's the only God that gits things done in the world...
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:48 am
Seven Brides For One Brother - one man’s story of multiple monogamy in the Wild West.

Gee Spot - one man’s search for recognition

The Maleficent Seven - a group of Mopologists shoot down a deaf kid with questions

Now You See It 3 - a band of magicians conjure up a third Watson letter

Around The World In Hatey Ways - a literacy-challenged munchkin tours the globe trying to split up successful marriages
Bravo! These are good. :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.