FAIR Mormon Adopts A New Name And A More Gentle Approach To Apologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Re: FAIR Mormon Adopts A New Name And A More Gentle Approach To Apologetics

Post by Bought Yahoo »

FAIR has misfired on these videos and other matters. Its like nobody there is (1) investigating the backgrounds of persons they're pushing out to be public spokespersons and (2) thinking about the optics of what they are doing. Anybody looking at those videos must have known that they were absurdly inappropriate. I was stunned beyond comprehension when FAIR added Bill Reel as one of their worker bees/spokesman. He had long been on the other board and lacked any kind of filter to control his misbehaving self-promotion. I remember following the thread of a conversaton where he boasted a high IQ (I can't remember the number -- 156?) and explained how it was he was able to accomplish so much with his high IQ. Push came to shove and he admitted completing an internet IQ quiz. But he wouldn't desist.

And the way FAIR personnel are responding to my criticism is rather mystifying. Basically, attack the messenger.

The Church has never been confortable with apologists. I've heard Elder Oaks say it directly in a speech at Claremont: "Don't pretend to guide us." For every apostle or general authority enthusiastic about FAIR and MI apologia, there are ten who are not.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:41 pm
The Church has never been confortable with apologists. I've heard Elder Oaks say it directly in a speech at Claremont: "Don't pretend to guide us." For every apostle or general authority enthusiastic about FAIR and MI apologia, there are ten who are not.
Yahoo: can you elaborate on this? What was the context in which Elder Oaks made this statement?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:41 pm
FAIR has misfired on these videos and other matters. Its like nobody there is (1) investigating the backgrounds of persons they're pushing out to be public spokespersons and (2) thinking about the optics of what they are doing. Anybody looking at those videos must have known that they were absurdly inappropriate.
What Church anywhere would like a snuff film to its credit?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
master_dc
Star B

Post by master_dc »

Yahoo,

so it is okay to go after Bill Reel but not Dr. Peterson? I think this quote of yours also fits the good Dr.
He had long been on the other board and lacked any kind of filter to control his misbehaving self-promotion.
The Interpreter will not change like FAIR has now stated they will. The only differences between most of these apologists and "critics" is what side of the divide they fall on.
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

master_dc wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:57 am
Yahoo,

so it is okay to go after Bill Reel but not Dr. Peterson? I think this quote of yours also fits the good Dr.
He had long been on the other board and lacked any kind of filter to control his misbehaving self-promotion.
The Interpreter will not change like FAIR has now stated they will. The only differences between most of these apologists and "critics" is what side of the divide they fall on.
I like Dr Peterson because he is a good writer. He knows his material. He is highly educated and erudite. An LDS Michael Coe. Interesting to read. Deep knowledge of a broad array of subject matters.

I don't believe everything he writes about.

Bill Reel? I'm surprised Consig consorts with him.
master_dc
Star B

Post by master_dc »

I hear you, no fan of Bill's style in his podcasts, don't know much about him though.

Dr. P's writing, at least on his blog, is too calculated for me. He posts on certain topics just to get in ridiculous comment wars. He is the charismatic leader for the blog fanboys, always dangling the carrot of manuscripts and books he is in the process of writing. It seems he is/was in desperate need of someone, an ally/mentor, to hold him responsible for these things he wants to do. We all need that in life. Someone or something to hold us accountable. He posts these things in a public forum so they are open discussion and ridicule. Plus, Lem has shed some light on the negative side of his writing habits that are abhorrent, if true, especially for his occupation as a professor.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

If true??

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:16 am
If true??

- Doc
I think he's just being polite. We are well past the stage where Peterson's plagiarism is theoretical.

http://mormondiscussions.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47236
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

master_dc wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:43 am
I hear you, no fan of Bill's style in his podcasts, don't know much about him though.

Dr. P's writing, at least on his blog, is too calculated for me. He posts on certain topics just to get in ridiculous comment wars. He is the charismatic leader for the blog fanboys, always dangling the carrot of manuscripts and books he is in the process of writing. It seems he is/was in desperate need of someone, an ally/mentor, to hold him responsible for these things he wants to do. We all need that in life. Someone or something to hold us accountable. He posts these things in a public forum so they are open discussion and ridicule. Plus, Lem has shed some light on the negative side of his writing habits that are abhorrent, if true, especially for his occupation as a professor.
I don't see any of that. I don't expect authors to meet book deadlines. Stephen King famously does not.

Bill Reel works at a pawn shop. He is uneducated in his writing and speech. He is troll like in his writing and podcasts. While he was at FAIR he called general authorities liars. He is a parody of apostates. He believes in squelching free speech of opponents. He is into personally embarrassing opponents. He invades the private lives of people who are not public figures. Other than that he is a nice guy.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:01 am
master_dc wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:43 am

I don't see any of that....
Of course not. And yet, there it is ...
http://mormondiscussions.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47236