Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by Dr Exiled »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:18 am
And let's be real here, Nelson didn't get a good look at the action. He'd have had to lean over the aisle for a better look, right? First, okay, how very rude to pull such a move with that hysterical woman he felt so sorry for. Can you picture that? "Excuse me ma'am, I know you're freaking out a little, but I need a better look." Uh, no. Second, he was totally calm, remember? Calm people don't go bobbing all over the cabin for a better look. Third, he already knew he was going to die, remember? He was busy seeing his life flash before his eyes while reflecting on the afterlife.
Maybe Nelson accidentally groped the poor woman during the ruckus/doors of death incident while he was trying to get a glimpse of the damage? He remembers it as fear from the impending doom when it was really a reaction to his improper touching?

A Frank Costanza move? I think our crack investigators need to explore this angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQmtOkO6ajc
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
honorentheos
God

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by honorentheos »

Lem wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:49 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:09 am
Speaking of death spiral tropes, my wife and I are watching Star Trek Insurrection because it’s better than ESPN the Ocho. In the first act, Picard and Warf secure a shuttlecraft to Data’s runner causing Data to react poorly, and he ends up throwing both of them into a Death Spiral! And better yet, they manage to ‘restart the engines’ and pull out of it at the very last moment!

The only thing missing was Dr. Beverly Crusher screaming hysterically and JLP looking out the window calmly, secure in his knowledge that Q is real.

- Doc
It was Data’s doppleganger screaming “we’re dying!” He was using contractions, that’s how they knew the real Data was with Picard. Q plucked the doppelgänger off the craft just before Data’s roadrunner-coyote thrust move slingshotted them around the moon leaving them in 1969, where they found invisible aluminum but no whale songs because Kirk and Spock had just left with the last two big Blues.

I might be misremembering, though.
Too much LDS.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Lem wrote:
It was Data’s doppleganger screaming “we’re dying!” He was using contractions, that’s how they knew the real Data was with Picard. Q plucked the doppelgänger off the craft just before Data’s roadrunner-coyote thrust move slingshotted them around the moon leaving them in 1969, where they found invisible aluminum but no whale songs because Kirk and Spock had just left with the last two big Blues.

A lot of Star Trek plots sound like garbled memories even when they're not.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:23 pm
Lem wrote:

Too much LDS.
I saw what you did there... :lol:
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:19 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:23 pm

Too much LDS.
I saw what you did there... :lol:
Believers try to grapple with the death spiral. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlUOJy9PFiw
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:18 am
Here is a color photo taken July 17, 1976 by I. E. Quastler, a "historical transportation geographer" (who knew such a role exists?) and emeritus professor of geography at San Diego State. This photo, taken at Skywest's St. George HQ, is the very plane that flew on Nov. 11, 1976, tail number N74985, according to the C.A.B. report.

The engine you see, the right engine, is the very engine that would fail months later, on Nov. 11, 1976. Nelson was on the opposite, or left hand side of the plane, and the "hysterical" woman Nelson describes ("The poor lady across the aisle from me was in absolute hysterics. She was right there where the flames were the brightest.") would have been sitting in one of the right-side window seats visible in the photo.
And let's be real here, Nelson didn't get a good look at the action. He'd have had to lean over the aisle for a better look, right? First, okay, how very rude to pull such a move with that hysterical woman he felt so sorry for. Can you picture that? "Excuse me ma'am, I know you're freaking out a little, but I need a better look." Uh, no. Second, he was totally calm, remember? Calm people don't go bobbing all over the cabin for a better look. Third, he already knew he was going to die, remember? He was busy seeing his life flash before his eyes while reflecting on the afterlife.
I don't believe that there was an hysterical woman on Russell's flight. It's a movie trope - just like the pilot announcing "the point of no return".

Watch "Side-by-side comparison: Zero Hour! (1957) Vs Airplane! (1980)" on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/8-v2BHNBVCs

At the 9:50 mark you'll find Russell's hysterical woman conveniently located on the right side of the aisle.
Rad
Sunbeam

Post by Rad »

A Frank Costanza move? I think our crack investigators need to explore this angle
He stopped short! :lol:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Rivendale wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:56 pm
Believers try to grapple with the death spiral. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlUOJy9PFiw
TBMS are not only able to embrace Tales Tales as a gift from the prophet but argue that embellishment is a necessary component to faith promotion.

This is why the works of J.R.R. Tolkien should be added to the LDS Canon. Imagine if Dr. John Gee were to shift his focus to Farmer Giles of Ham.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

Rivendale wrote:
Thank you Riverdale. This was an illustrative glimpse into the Mormon minion mindset.

A central question seemed to be whether or not it was okay for Mormon prophets to exaggerate, embellish, and lie from the pulpit in order to illustrate a gospel principle or engender faith in the congregation.

In reality, if that question really needs to be discussed, then senior church leadership has already failed - miserably.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

DrW wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:37 pm
Rivendale wrote:
Thank you Riverdale. This was an illustrative glimpse into the Mormon minion mindset.

A central question seemed to be whether or not it was okay for Mormon prophets to exaggerate, embellish, and lie from the pulpit in order to illustrate a gospel principle or engender faith in the congregation.

In reality, if that question really needs to be discussed, then senior church leadership has already failed - miserably.
When discussing the Paul H Dunn and others that have "embellished" the golden comment...paraphrasing. " You have to generate interest, so when do you draw the line on embellishment?" Really from an organization that is preaching the one true message?