Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gabriel
Deacon

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by Gabriel »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:00 pm
No one is going to mention how the women are portrayed as hysterical and fearful, while Nelson the Man remained calm, cool, and collected?

- Doc
Do you mean like this?
https___blogs-images.forbes.com_joshweiss_files_2019_02_GettyImages-145710946-1200x915.jpg
https___blogs-images.forbes.com_joshweiss_files_2019_02_GettyImages-145710946-1200x915.jpg (73.78 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I think may favorite of these kooky stories is the one where Gene Cook is on a flight and he winds up seated next to Mick Jagger. The story is a classic, because Cook tries to bear his testimony and Jagger basically just brushes him aside. In fact, Jagger tells Cook that his music is *designed* to get kids to have sex! Oh, just imagine the outrage!

In any case, I can't quite decide what's funner: the story itself, or the fact that the Mopologists are treating it as faith-promoting.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:00 pm
No one is going to mention how the women are portrayed as hysterical and fearful, while Nelson the Man remained calm, cool, and collected? I always wonder what kind of subconcious lessons women (and girls) internalize with a story like that ...

- Doc
It might be worse, in yesterday's article it says:
“I was at peace, ready to meet my maker.”
Does that imply that the woman who was "hysterical" lacked faith and wasn't prepared to meet her maker? It wasn't just that he was able to stay calm, but the surety of his salvation was spoken by his calmness. It's really tough to say that those who panicked were just displaying weak nerves, but rather, were providing commentary on their spiritual failings. A contrast to the prophet who had lived a holy life.
Dr. Sunstoned
CTR B

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:43 pm
This sounds like a job for Inspector Consiglieri of Radio Free Scotland Mormon Yard.
If he can't sleuth it, then nobody can!
Yes, this would not be the first time that Nelson's stories have not withstood scrutiny. Perhaps TSCC should implement a peer review process for all public talks.

https://www.truthandtransparency.org/ne ... -m-nelson/
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:38 am
I think may favorite of these kooky stories is the one where Gene Cook is on a flight and he winds up seated next to Mick Jagger. The story is a classic, because Cook tries to bear his testimony and Jagger basically just brushes him aside. In fact, Jagger tells Cook that his music is *designed* to get kids to have sex! Oh, just imagine the outrage!

In any case, I can't quite decide what's funner: the story itself, or the fact that the Mopologists are treating it as faith-promoting.
I think the real take-away is this: Mick Jagger obviously flies first class. When widows in South America are sending the church their mites, what business do General Authorities have flying first class?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Another take away might be that Mr. Cook made the entire thing up or part of it up. Perhaps Cook was in coach and Mick came back from first class to talk to one of his assistants and Cook imagined a conversation with the rock star as he [Cook] was drooling, while seated in coach and watching the conversation from a distance?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Tom wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:02 pm
"....We were in one of those small commuter airplanes. There were about six passengers in it.....The poor lady across the aisle from me
A six seater plane has aisles?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The Cook & Jagger story seems similar to the Ezra & Elvis story, but without as many points of light.

Sometimes famous people in history meet and this is one such encounter. This story involves air flight and in particular Pan Am flight 1023 back in 1956 between Apostle and Champion Commie Fighter, Ezra Taft Benson, and an up-and-coming young singer named Elvis Presley. They had been assigned as seatmates in first class and the airline had instructed the stewardesses and pilots not to fuss or fawn over Elvis and to nonchalantly address him as Mr. Presley.

Neither Ezra Taft nor Elvis had a clue as to who the other person was. That was just as well since it would make for an unpleasant flight if Elder Benson got worked up into a powerful tirade about the pelvic thrusts Elvis made during his onstage song and dance as being the workings of the International Communist Party's plan to subvert the youth of America through exposing them to Negro music and Negro dance steps. Fortunately, Elder Benson preferred to tell what he had been up to in his never-ending battle to rid the world of the Communist Menace and fight against farm subsidies. Elvis had the politeness to be a dutiful listener and so the flight was uneventful and neither party learned the identity of the other.

Not sure if Ezra Taft ever became certain who Elvis Presley was, but he did come down on both wild hip gyrations and Negro music being a tool of the Great Communist Conspiracy in his Church's General Conference.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
mcjathan
Nursery

Post by mcjathan »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:48 pm
That's all fine and good Dr. W. But we know the real story of angels flying through the sky to save the Lord's future no. one dude.
:lol: :lol: :lol: