Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by IHAQ »

“Part of the tranquility I felt as death approached came from my knowledge of the gospel,” the 94-year-old prophet told the Saints gathered at Tecnópolis Arena. “I was falling to my death. I was surprised that I was not afraid to die, I remained calm.
It's interesting to note that Nelson, despite his assured calmness in the face of certain death, apparently did nothing to help comfort the distressed lady immediately next to him. Nor does he think to praise the skill of the pilot.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by Res Ipsa »

Lem wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:58 am
Tom wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:02 pm

A six seater plane has aisles?
Hi Lem,

I read it as a small commuter plane with six passengers on board, not a six seat plane.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Here is Sheri Dew's 2019 write up...
On November 12, 1976, Russell Nelson had boarded a commuter plane in Salt Lake City to fly the quick route to St. George, Utah, where he was to give the invocation at the inauguration of W. Rolfe Kerr as the president of Dixie College.

It was a short hop of less than an hour in a small, two-engine propeller plane. Only four passengers were on board. The pilot had just announced that they were halfway to St. George when the engine on the right wing exploded, spewing oil all over the right side of the aircraft and then bursting into flames. In an attempt to douse the flames, the pilot turned the fuel off, causing the small plane to go suddenly into a free fall death spiral.

The woman across the aisle from Russell began to scream hysterically. But Russell felt calm. “It was the most amazing thing,” he said. “I thought, ‘My wife and I are sealed. Our children are sealed to us. I’ve honored my covenants. I’ll meet my ancestors and go on to a glorious resurrection..'”

He was, however, impressed with how quickly and comprehensively the mind can work. “It’s true, your life does flash before you. I had a bright recollection and perfect remembrance of my whole life. One major thought was that all of the framed awards and honors on my wall, the various clothes I’d worn — tuxedos and uniforms and doctoral robes — didn’t mean anything. What mattered was that I had my garments on and had been faithful to the covenants I’d made in the temple. I knew I was going to die, but I knew I would be fine.”

Miraculously, the free fall extinguished the fire, and, in the nick of time, the pilot was able to start the left engine, regain control of the plane, and guide it to an emergency landing in a farmer’s field not far from Delta, Utah. Everyone walked away from the incident unharmed. Another plane was dispatched, and Russell made it to St. George in time to give the invocation.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... piral.html

Still no praise for the pilot. Still no comfort for his fellow traveller. Now there's only 4 passengers, and Nelson remembers significantly more about what went through his mind.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

IHAQ wrote:It's interesting to note that Nelson, despite his assured calmness in the face of certain death, apparently did nothing to help comfort the distressed lady immediately next to him. Nor does he think to praise the skill of the pilot.
Exactly. I realized on my walk today that I had significantly underestimated how bad this was for a second time. Instead of being heartbroken over the fate about to befall his fellow travelers and praying for their safety and their families, he didn't even pray at all. He just smiled to himself knowing he was walking into his robe of glory.

And of course it's strongly implied that the only reason why god spared the plane, was to get dumb ass to his speaking appointment on time.
Equality
CTR B

Post by Equality »

Miraculously, the free fall extinguished the fire,
Leaving all other aspects of the story aside, why would air blowing on flames at hundreds of miles per hour, thereby extinguishing the flames, be deemed "miraculous"?
tapirrider
Sunbeam

Post by tapirrider »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:44 pm
Here is Sheri Dew's 2019 write up...
On November 12, 1976, Russell Nelson had boarded a commuter plane in Salt Lake City to fly the quick route to St. George, Utah, where he was to give the invocation at the inauguration of W. Rolfe Kerr as the president of Dixie College.

It was a short hop of less than an hour in a small, two-engine propeller plane. Only four passengers were on board. The pilot had just announced that they were halfway to St. George when the engine on the right wing exploded, spewing oil all over the right side of the aircraft and then bursting into flames. In an attempt to douse the flames, the pilot turned the fuel off, causing the small plane to go suddenly into a free fall death spiral.

The woman across the aisle from Russell began to scream hysterically. But Russell felt calm. “It was the most amazing thing,” he said. “I thought, ‘My wife and I are sealed. Our children are sealed to us. I’ve honored my covenants. I’ll meet my ancestors and go on to a glorious resurrection..'”

He was, however, impressed with how quickly and comprehensively the mind can work. “It’s true, your life does flash before you. I had a bright recollection and perfect remembrance of my whole life. One major thought was that all of the framed awards and honors on my wall, the various clothes I’d worn — tuxedos and uniforms and doctoral robes — didn’t mean anything. What mattered was that I had my garments on and had been faithful to the covenants I’d made in the temple. I knew I was going to die, but I knew I would be fine.”

Miraculously, the free fall extinguished the fire, and, in the nick of time, the pilot was able to start the left engine, regain control of the plane, and guide it to an emergency landing in a farmer’s field not far from Delta, Utah. Everyone walked away from the incident unharmed. Another plane was dispatched, and Russell made it to St. George in time to give the invocation.
Odd that with a specific date, flight path, location of emergency landing in a field, etc., there is nothing in the FAA or NTSB reports for this alleged incident. Hmmmm.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

In a quick check, I came across two news reports that a single-engine plane (a Cessna 210, according to one story) with a pilot and three passengers flipped over while attempting an emergency landing in a field near Brigham City on November 12. The plane apparently suffered a power loss. One passenger suffered minor injuries. (See here.) I'll keep looking for news of a plane that made an emergency landing near Delta on November 12 after the right engine exploded and burst into flames.
Last edited by Tom on Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:26 pm
The Cook & Jagger story seems similar to the Ezra & Elvis story, but without as many points of light.

Sometimes famous people in history meet and this is one such encounter. This story involves air flight and in particular Pan Am flight 1023 back in 1956 between Apostle and Champion Commie Fighter, Ezra Taft Benson, and an up-and-coming young singer named Elvis Presley. They had been assigned as seatmates in first class and the airline had instructed the stewardesses and pilots not to fuss or fawn over Elvis and to nonchalantly address him as Mr. Presley.

Neither Ezra Taft nor Elvis had a clue as to who the other person was. That was just as well since it would make for an unpleasant flight if Elder Benson got worked up into a powerful tirade about the pelvic thrusts Elvis made during his onstage song and dance as being the workings of the International Communist Party's plan to subvert the youth of America through exposing them to Negro music and Negro dance steps. Fortunately, Elder Benson preferred to tell what he had been up to in his never-ending battle to rid the world of the Communist Menace and fight against farm subsidies. Elvis had the politeness to be a dutiful listener and so the flight was uneventful and neither party learned the identity of the other.

Not sure if Ezra Taft ever became certain who Elvis Presley was, but he did come down on both wild hip gyrations and Negro music being a tool of the Great Communist Conspiracy in his Church's General Conference.
:lol:
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
tapirrider
Sunbeam

Post by tapirrider »

Tom wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:27 pm
I'll keep looking for news of a plane that made an emergency landing near Delta on November 12 after the right engine exploded and burst into flames.
You won't find anything because it did not happen.
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

tapirrider wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:38 pm
Tom wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:27 pm
I'll keep looking for news of a plane that made an emergency landing near Delta on November 12 after the right engine exploded and burst into flames.
You won't find anything because it did not happen.
It would seem that if it did, there would be an official incident report somewhere.

The Delta newspaper "Millard County Chronicle Progress" has been around since the turn of the century (20th century, that is). Surely, if an aircraft had made an emergency landing in Farmer Joe's field, there seems little doubt that it would have merited at least a passing mention in the November 18th paper put out the following week.