The Future of the Mormon Testimonial

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: The Future of the Mormon Testimonial

Post by Philo Sofee »

Yes indeed, Mormonism blows where the wind dictates, and adapts as events dictate. Otherwise there is no light from heaven.
Tim
Star A

Post by Tim »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:53 pm

In this instance I am again puzzled. I would much rather sit through an Episcopalian service than a Mormon one. Of course not all Episcopalian services are going to be the same. You may be thinking of a bad one and I thinking of an inspiring one.
I'm referring to their attendance levels. They are on pace to cease to exist in 15 years. I'm sure some services are quite inspiring.

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:53 pm
What are you hoping for for long term success? I gather you might not be entirely of the party here which sees long term success only as, or ideally as, the end of the Mormon church along with other churches.

You started saying four points are the direction you see the LDS church going. Do you see that as a good thing or as decay? Do you think the LDS church is leaving traditional docrines and beliefs behind? Is that a good thing?
I'm not holding anything close to the chest. We're just unfamiliar with each other. I'm an Evangelical Christian (though I would gladly dump the term. Any time you have to say "it depends on what you mean by that", the term has lost its functionality). You can learn more about my views on Mormonism here. https://ldstalk.wordpress.com/

What I would hope for is that the LDS church would become a funny little orthodox off shoot of traditional Christianity (much like Seventh Day Adventism or the Worldwide Church of God). But I wasn't advocating for that in my initial post, it's just want I'd like to see. My OP was just an observation about where things appear to be headed.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Hi Tim, I noticed on another thread you pointing out that you are not LDS. I realized that my attempts to twist your arm in this thread for a more involved point of view was not appropriate. Sorry, and I can add glad to see you posting, adding your vantage point.
Tim
Star A

Post by Tim »

Thanks!
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:13 am
Did people notice that this testimonial was a fireside for Mormons who had some concern for other Mormons having some faith struggles. It was not a presentation for missionary efforts. It was not for teaching nonMormons what Mormons find important.
This is exactly the kind of material Mormons would use to evangelize.
huckelberry wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:36 pm
Stakhanovite, I could not help but have a bit of puzzle and curiosity about this comment. I have a hard time not seeing word of faith and American fundamentalists as reflecting a full unquestioning acceptance of American consumerist values, have faith and get more money.Have faith and have a blessed protected life. Is it possible that churches that question peoples first values will have some growth problems. Well maybe it is not quite that simple.
You are being too meta there and dealing with an entirely different order of beliefs. I’m referencing the stuff like gay wedding cakes, trans bathrooms, prayer in school, creationism, founding fathers being portrayed as modern fundamentalists, etc.
huckelberry wrote:
I have long thought that an important mainline problem was a drift into a kind of worship which was largely nostalgia for a time when people actually believed those old Christian ideas.
I don’t think that is the case at all.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:34 am

You are being too meta there and dealing with an entirely different order of beliefs. I’m referencing the stuff like gay wedding cakes, trans bathrooms, prayer in school, creationism, founding fathers being portrayed as modern fundamentalists, etc.
huckelberry wrote:
I have long thought that an important mainline problem was a drift into a kind of worship which was largely nostalgia for a time when people actually believed those old Christian ideas.
I don’t think that is the case at all.
I am interested in the problem of what ails the mainline churches but have no reason to think I am expert or sure of the answer. Pulling from my own bag of impressions mainlines may be suffering from extended friction and division about social issues. i might be interested in your view of what ails the mainline churches.

I hear people close to that bunch of concerns you mention complain that the other churches no longer believe in the Bible and substitute a social gospel for the real gospel. Are they winning the rhetoric contest? Perhaps you are correct people are worried about gay wedding cakes and government taking prayer out of school, the other is cover.