Radio Free Mormon Bombshell -- Another First Vision Account

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
cinepro
CTR B

Re: Radio Free Mormon Bombshell -- Another First Vision Account

Post by cinepro »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:03 pm
Well, I think it's a bombshell because it shows that something is missing. This is First Presidency material, information written about the founder of the Church and it seems to be commissioned by Smith himself. There are not many hands that have held those documents since it was first penned. The only hands I can think of are those under direct authority of the First Presidency.

Where is the missing page(s)?

Why is it missing?
I agree those are interesting questions, and if I were ever given access to the FP vault (unlikely), it's one of the first things I would look for. I'm just mystified by how sure RFM and BR seem to be; they're selling it like we *know* it's a FV account.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

cinepro wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:53 pm
I agree those are interesting questions, and if I were ever given access to the FP vault (unlikely), it's one of the first things I would look for. I'm just mystified by how sure RFM and BR seem to be; they're selling it like we *know* it's a FV account.

I think the reason they are stoking the hype is to generate interest and start a fire. They are taking a chance and making a huge assumption. They are gambling that they will come out winners! If they do, it will add credibility to their program and ultimately result in increased revenue (donations). IF, and it's a big if, there really is a page missing that includes additional information about the First Vision and is handed over to the Joseph Smith Papers, then there will be great fanfare at Radio Free Mormon and he's going to make a lot of money.

Hey, he's rolling the dice and rubbing his hands, hoping it pays off!

Isn't that right, Consig, baby?

:lol:
Craig Paxton
Sunbeam

Post by Craig Paxton »

cinepro wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:43 am
Uh, it sounds like there's a missing page and they're just guessing what it is. It could be a First Vision account, or it could be treasure digging, or an unusual version of the Moroni story, or anything else. There's no actual evidence of what was on the page(s).

How is a guess a "bombshell"?
Exactly what I was thinking...
"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Craig Paxton wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:52 am
cinepro wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:43 am
Uh, it sounds like there's a missing page and they're just guessing what it is. It could be a First Vision account, or it could be treasure digging, or an unusual version of the Moroni story, or anything else. There's no actual evidence of what was on the page(s).

How is a guess a "bombshell"?

Due to the fact that the missing page(s) is MISSING in action, then it leads one to conclude that it's missing for a reason. I wonder what that reason might be? The page(s) didn't just disappear or for that matter get lost of their own accord. No, the records have been safely kept within the confines of First Presidency safekeeping. So, whatever is on the missing page(s), you can be sure that it's not exactly faith promoting and raised questions about other testimonials regarding Joe Blow Smith.

I would love to know what's missing and which apostle(s) are guilty of hiding it up and keeping it from the members of the Church. Somebody is guilty!
Holy Ghost
Nursery

Post by Holy Ghost »

Shulem wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:57 pm
Craig Paxton wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:52 am

Due to the fact that the missing page(s) is MISSING in action, then it leads one to conclude that it's missing for a reason. I wonder what that reason might be? The page(s) didn't just disappear or for that matter get lost of their own accord. No, the records have been safely kept within the confines of First Presidency safekeeping. So, whatever is on the missing page(s), you can be sure that it's not exactly faith promoting and raised questions about other testimonials regarding Joe Blow Smith.

I would love to know what's missing and which apostle(s) are guilty of hiding it up and keeping it from the members of the Church. Somebody is guilty!
Joseph Fielding Smith would have to be considered a prime suspect regarding being guilty of hiding it up and keeping it from the members.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

FYI, here is Quinn's (and Bushman's) discussion of the missing pages. They seem to believe the theory that the pages discuss treasure digging:
Joseph Knight’s personal history tells of his acquaintance with Smith. Housed in LDS church archives, this manuscript is “missing at least one beginning page.” This missing portion would cover the period when treasure-digging was allegedly the primary association of Knight with teenage Joseph, as previously stated by Collington and also by other sources. LDS historian Richard L. Bushman observes: “Although a believer from the start, Knight’s ‘Recollection’ has bothered some Mormon readers because of its rough-cut style and its unembarrassed reports of familiar relations with neighborhood money diggers.” That discomfort explains the missing pages in Knight’s history of his first association with young Joseph Smith.

Early Mormonism and the Magic Worldview, page 54
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Holy Ghost wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:43 pm
Joseph Fielding Smith would have to be considered a prime suspect regarding being guilty of hiding it up and keeping it from the members.

Yes, he certainly would be a prime suspect but he's been dead for nearly 50 years and somebody else after him had to assume the responsibility in maintaining the order to keep it sealed up and hidden -- and by who?

Who was the last of the nasty General Authorities to keep it locked up and throw away the key?
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

cinepro wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:02 pm
FYI, here is Quinn's (and Bushman's) discussion of the missing pages. They seem to believe the theory that the pages discuss treasure digging:
Joseph Knight’s personal history tells of his acquaintance with Smith. Housed in LDS church archives, this manuscript is “missing at least one beginning page.” This missing portion would cover the period when treasure-digging was allegedly the primary association of Knight with teenage Joseph, as previously stated by Collington and also by other sources. LDS historian Richard L. Bushman observes: “Although a believer from the start, Knight’s ‘Recollection’ has bothered some Mormon readers because of its rough-cut style and its unembarrassed reports of familiar relations with neighborhood money diggers.” That discomfort explains the missing pages in Knight’s history of his first association with young Joseph Smith.

Early Mormonism and the Magic Worldview, page 54
I discuss why it is I think Quinn is wrong on that point in what I hope is a balanced and respectful manner.

Also why I think the evidence suggests an early First Vision story that doesn’t line up with the official 1838 account.

It should be noted BR contacted Quinn prior to the show to get his take. Quinn hews to his belief but was not able to convince BR over and above my hypothesis.

It should probably also be said that Bill tends to be less tentative in his discussion than I.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:00 pm
It should probably also be said that Bill tends to be less tentative in his discussion than I.
With all due respect to Bill, this is the dynamic I was getting...

Bill: Holy hidden artifacts, Consig. We found a fifth version of the first vision!

Consig: No, patience my young ward. The missing page could be...anything. Best not jump to hasty conclusions lest the version of the vision be shown to be... an illusion.

Bill: Illusions indeed, Consig. But who could have done this dastardly deed?

Consig: Dastardly, indeed. Wait. You said it yourself, Bill Wonder. The deed. Deeds are on paper. Books are also made of paper, and books have pages. Pages ride horses, and horses are in fields. And smiths make horse shoes. It's all there. Could it be any other than that master page-ripper himself, Joseph Fielding Smith?

consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

BRILLIANT!!!

LMAO!!!!