Less than 50% of adult members are married

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Less than 50% of adult members are married

Post by IHAQ »

President Ballard, acting president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, gave direction about the church’s announcement Wednesday that single adult men under 30 in young single adult wards and stakes now may serve as counselors in stake presidencies as well as bishoprics, on high councils and as stake Sunday School presidents and counselors. Single adult women in YSA wards and stakes can serve as Stake Relief Society presidents and counselors.
More than half of adult Latter-day Saints are widowed, divorced or have never married, he said.
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/4/1/ ... ip-session
“Marital status has nothing to do with one’s capacity to serve and bless the lives of others,” he said. “The Lord honors those who wait upon him in patience and faith. We can do better at providing opportunities for our single members to serve. I am not talking about creating service projects, although those are important. I am talking about giving them significant callings, including leadership callings. Single members are just as capable as married members.
Which begs the question why single adults were previously embargoed from serving in those roles until they were married...
There are only a few callings, such as stake president and bishop, that are specified only for married members. The restriction of having only married men serve as counselors in bishoprics and stake presidencies in young single adult wards and stakes has been removed.”
This sounds like a reaction to a problem.
Moksha
God

Re: Less than 50% of adult members are married

Post by Moksha »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:25 am
Which begs the question of why single adults were previously embargoed from serving in those roles until they were married...
I am guessing that a shortage of people to fill the many volunteer positions available has forced the Church to consider those who were overlooked and marginalized in the past. Of course, tithing may have something to do with it as well.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

President Ballard, March 31, 2021 wrote: Marital status has nothing to do with one’s capacity to serve and bless the lives of others.

And yet marital status has been a continual factor in prohibiting countless members of the church from serving in many positions for generations!

What have you to say about that, Ballard, you Goddamn hypocrite?

How many countless Latter-day Saints were told they couldn't serve in certain positions to bless the lives of others because they were not married? And now, all of the sudden hypocrite Ballard is acting like nothing ever happened and it's business as usual?

Ballard, you're a Goddamn hypocrite! You're a lying bastard and a liar for the Lord. You stink, man!

Bastard Ballard wrote:There are only a few callings, such as stake president and bishop, that are specified only for married members.

And when will that too change? Can't single men bless the lives of others?

What about divorced men? Why can't they serve as temple sealers and bless the lives of others? It's all because of the image of the cult in assigning value to people based on their position in life.

YOU, Ballard, just drop dead. Go to hell. I hate you! You disgusting man.
Shulem
God

Did you just fart?

Post by Shulem »

What can I say? I'm an asshole. I'm a jackass. I'm a Ballard!

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Very likely reaction to a “problem.”

I was looking at data related to online dating just this week. Would you believe that the average adult lives twice as many years “single” today vs 1980? Single includes years not in a committed relationship, not just unmarried.