NewNameNoah's TikTok harassment allegations

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: NewNameNoah's TikTok harassment allegations

Post by Moksha »

A lot of pastors back then had gimmicks, such as Robert Tilton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SkSLdwwIbE
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:17 pm
Goddamn that's depressing, Jersey Girl. Givin' me Osteen vibes. :(
Yeah, I think I got a brain zap when I read Kish's post. Joel Osteen is for sure of the same ilk. What's weird for me (if I can put this in context) is thinking back to how Marjoe Gortner and Imus seemed to hit the scene at about the same time. I was at the time um, disconnected from church by choice and very cynical about religion in general having nothing to do with Christianity per se, but the people who delivered it and claimed to live it. Plus given the age I was at the time, I was more interested in doing my own thing if you get my drift. Anyway, they were both on my radar at the time.

So Gortner who was exposing the tent preachers and Imus who was parodying them, were like a perfect storm in my head. It's funny though, in our youth program we attended events sponsored by Billy Graham (Can't recall the name of the ministry now--youth rallies I think it was) and of course, seeing his crusades on television. I never once doubted his integrity and I still have no doubt in my mind but that he was the real thing. Of course, that could be indoctrination via exposure but I maintain that he was the real deal, a genuine Christian and well respected preacher whose primary interests were spreading the Gospel and bringing people to Christ.

Osteen skeeves me out. In my view, prosperity gospel has no place in Christianity.

Back to topic. Again...
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:54 pm
My. God. I instantly recognized the name and had a flashback. Amazing what you can remember decades later. I'd venture to guess that not a whole lot of folks here know who Marjoe is and what he did.
I thought Marjoe was really fascinating and in some ways a very sympathetic character. He was also pretty smart not to mix business with pleasure. John Dehlin should have followed such a philosophy, in my opinion.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:48 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:54 pm
My. God. I instantly recognized the name and had a flashback. Amazing what you can remember decades later. I'd venture to guess that not a whole lot of folks here know who Marjoe is and what he did.
I thought Marjoe was really fascinating and in some ways a very sympathetic character. He was also pretty smart not to mix business with pleasure. John Dehlin should have followed such a philosophy, in my opinion.
Yes and if If I recall correctly, Marjoe was emotionally, psychologically and spiritually abused in childhood by his parents. Possibly physically. I think of him as one who tried to make amends for his past wrong doing by exposing it. I can't argue with that approach.

I can't believe I instantly recognized the name. Don't ask me what I did 10 minutes ago, ok? :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!