Church Membership Grew By Lowest Percentage Since 1857

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: Church Membership Grew By Lowest Percentage Since 1857

Post by IHAQ »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:19 pm
According to the annual statistical report, Church membership is now at 16,663,663 and only grew 0.60%.
Because it’s such a small increase on the previous year (16,565,036), it should be much easier to see where, specifically, that growth came from.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:19 pm
Obviously COVID had some impact, but the Church has gone through other epidemics, world wars and catastrophes, but still didn’t record growth this slow.
The new children of record number is interesting. That figure should only be reduced because wards were closed for periods of time and should have been caught up exceptionally quickly when wards reopened.
Meadowchik
Priest

Post by Meadowchik »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:34 am
The new children of record number is interesting. That figure should only be reduced because wards were closed for periods of time and should have been caught up exceptionally quickly when wards reopened.
Unless some families are waiting for travel to open up, or for it to be generally safer for family members attending a blessing. My parents are in Texas, are just finally vaccinated, but haven't seen any of their very large family except for my grandmother in over a year.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Meadowchik wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:36 am
IHAQ wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:34 am
Unless some families are waiting for travel to open up, or for it to be generally safer for family members attending a blessing. My parents are in Texas, are just finally vaccinated, but haven't seen any of their very large family except for my grandmother in over a year.
Have they held off doing baby blessings?
Meadowchik
Priest

Post by Meadowchik »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:40 am
I'm speculating that there might be significant numbers of delayed baptisms and baby blessings, including delays on a voluntary basis. Of course I could be off. If I am correct, we should see a post-pandemic bump.
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

They can always finagle the membership numbers- the number of importance is the tithing increase or decrease but with $100,000,000,000 safely stuffed in the EP fund, if I were Russell M. Nelson as corporation sole, I would consider myself wealthier not of Solomon but of "God"- Oh, he already thinks he is!

just musin
k
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Meadowchik wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:47 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:40 am
I'm speculating that there might be significant numbers of delayed baptisms and baby blessings, including delays on a voluntary basis. Of course I could be off. If I am correct, we should see a post-pandemic bump.
I agree It will be interesting to see 2020’s new children of record number within the context of 2019 and 2021’s.
simon southerton
Sunbeam

Post by simon southerton »

I think we can safely take any statistics reported by the church with a grain of salt. I was recently looking at the statistical lies the church is perpetuating in the Pacific. The true membership of the LDS Church in Pacific countries is exaggerated by as much as 8.6 fold and frequently over 3 fold.

It looks like if you walk past an LDS Church in Tonga you are added to the membership rolls. At the current rate of growth there will soon be more Mormons in Tonga than there are Tongans in Tonga.
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 2.51.17 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 2.51.17 pm.png (39.43 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

simon southerton wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:53 am
I think we can safely take any statistics reported by the church with a grain of salt. I was recently looking at the statistical lies the church is perpetuating in the Pacific. The true membership of the LDS Church in Pacific countries is exaggerated by as much as 8.6 fold and frequently over 3 fold.

It looks like if you walk past an LDS Church in Tonga you are added to the membership rolls. At the current rate of growth there will soon be more Mormons in Tonga than there are Tongans in Tonga.
To be fair, both figures might be correct. There might be that amount of Church members on the records, but those members might not class themselves as members any longer but have never resigned. I think what you're showing in that table is the activity rates of members on record.
simon southerton
Sunbeam

Post by simon southerton »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:51 am
simon southerton wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:53 am

To be fair, both figures might be correct. There might be that amount of Church members on the records, but those members might not class themselves as members any longer but have never resigned. I think what you're showing in that table is the activity rates of members on record.
I am certain you are right, but I have no compunction to be fair to the Mormon Church regarding its statistics. Most other churches measure their membership in far more meaningful ways. They make some attempt to count those who are genuinely involved. The church knows the meaningful numbers but it chooses to lie.

In Tonga, about 99% of the population attends church weekly. 80% of Tongans said on the census they attended a Christian Church other than the LDS Church. The LDS Church says 62% of Tongans are Mormons. This means that two out of every three Tongans the Mormons count, are actively attending another church. They are not just inactive, they are effectively apostates. This Mormon propaganda is becoming increasingly obvious to statisticians and people who belong to these other churches.