Spending Easter Sunday with the Mopologists

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Spending Easter Sunday with the Mopologists

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Friends, have you heard? The phrase "Alithos anesti" is being tossed around in certain quarters today--it's apparently Greek for "Truly, he is risen!" I wonder if some of my colleagues--The Hon. Rev. Kishkumen, for example, or perhaps Prof. Symmachus--could helps us to tweak the translation so that, instead, it means, "Truly, he is risible?" All of which is to say, it's Easter Sunday! Did you eat ham today? Jello salad? Something featuring eggs? Did the children get a basket from the Easter Bunny? Or did you celebrate the life of Jesus, reflecting on what it means to be a Christian?

It's sometimes fun to wonder about what one's neighbors do on the various holidays: what would it be like to peer into their living room on an Easter Sunday afternoon? Lucky for us, your local, friendly Mopologist at "Sic et Non" has a public living room! Shall we join him to see what he's been up to today, on this day celebrating Christ's sacrifice? Well, first of all, he's got good news for you:
Daniel Peterson wrote:Christ is risen. That is the most wonderful news imaginable.
Is it as wonderful as news about the "Witnesses" movie? What if we compare, side-by-side, the number of times Christ's resurrection has been mentioned versus the "Witnesses" movie during the past year? Or is the Resurrection something that only merits mention once per year? In any event, the Christ-like festivities were on full display in *this* Mopologist's living room, such as this dismissal of Gemli:
DCP wrote:But that's a lazy response here, where there's nothing to suggest that the witnesses were wrong or that they were lying either to themselves or to others. That people can be mistaken and can lie doesn't prove, in any given case, that people are wrong or have lied.
Here he accuses Gemli of being "threatened" by the Witnesses:
I've read quite a bit about this matter. The unreliabillity of eyewitness testimony is commonly dragged out when critics of the Church wish to discredit the Book of Mormon witnesses. But they push the idea far beyond its actual relevance and applicability, and, very obviously, they almost always forget all about it when they don't desperately need to dispose of threatening witnesses.
More material that suits the mood of today's festivities:
LOL. Just as we can't be sure when you committed your first homicide or when you first began spying for the People's Republic of China.
And what about ridiculing Gemli, and accusing him of "retreat"?
It's amusing to see gemli's belated and very grudging retreat.
All in all, there appear to have been a whopping sixteen snide, condescending comments aimed at Gemli on this Easter Sunday! And then there is this odd slam on the African American scientist, Neil DeGrasse Tyson:
From what I can tell, Dr. Tyson is generally thought of as a gifted science popularizer rather than as a cutting-edge researcher.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it doesn't win Nobel Prizes.
Right. There's nothing wrong with running two blogs (Interpreter and SeN). It won't gain you any respectability, but there's nothing wrong with it.

And what better way to wind down on Easter Sunday than making fun of Aussieguy?
DCP, in response to noel wrote:Egypt has one of the longest histories of any country, tracing its heritage along the Nile Delta back to the 6th–4th millennia BCE. Considered a cradle of civilization, Ancient Egypt saw some of the earliest developments of writing, agriculture, urbanization, organized religion, and central government.

Many ponds contain shallow water ecosystems, often termed pond life, with varying abundances of aquatic plants and animals.
Of course, he's mocking what he sees as noel's penchant for changing the topic. How funny! What a great way to celebrate Christ's atonement!

Indeed, on another thread, Dean Robbers observed:
Dr. Robbers wrote: You have DCP nailed. I've never seen somebody so central to a cause who can say so little about what the cause actually believes. The Brethren are in this same boat. There is nobody in Mormonism who appear to know less about what Mormonism teaches than the leaders themselves.
Hence the horseplay on Easter Sunday, no doubt. Maybe it would be best if the "living room" wasn't open for public display?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Gadianton
God

Re: Spending Easter Sunday with the Mopologists

Post by Gadianton »

You know, Doctor Scratch, I couldn't help but think of this recent article written by Sister Bushman that's getting promoted at SeN, as I read your observations:
Abstract: We tend to have big events and a full month celebrating Christmas, but here we are in a very Christian church that has come to almost ignore the events of the crucifixion and the resurrection. The Last Supper and the events that followed it are the important events of the season. With some planning and creativity, we can immerse ourselves in a Resurrection Month by thinking about the gift of life and promise for the future that we have been given,

Huh. So here you have Sister Bushman calling for Easter to last an entire month, while at Sic et Non, the apologists are having difficulty stretching it out for one day, or even a morning!

He is risen, fantastic! Now where the hell is Gemli, that we might gang up on him and make him feel lesser about himself?
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:44 am
He is risen, fantastic! Now where the hell is Gemli, that we might gang up on him and make him feel lesser about himself?
Exactly. Dr. Midgley is practically foaming at the mouth:
Midgley wrote:
Carl wrote:Pay up to the interpreter.
...and then cease opining--please!
In case you're wondering what these two are referring to (on Easter Sunday): there was a poster named "Charles" who made a $500 bet (or thereabouts) with Dr. Peterson on whether or not a Brian Stubbs article would appear on the "Interpreter" blog. I can't recall the complete terms of the bet, but the Mopologists, naturally, have determined that they won. And now they think that the poster called "Chapstick" is actually a "Charles" sock puppet. So, basically, they are accusing someone of being a sock puppet on the basis of speculation, *and* they are demanding money, *And* they are demanding that Chapstick shut up (i.e., "cease opining"), *AND* they are nursing a what? months-old grudge?

He is risen! Truly, he is risen!
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:44 am
Huh. So here you have Sister Bushman calling for Easter to last an entire month, ...
Perhaps Sister Bushman could suggest Mardi Gras Salt Lake and the entire Lenten season to the Brethren or even celebrating the days of the week before Easter, such as Super Saturday for bargain shopping in the City Creek Mall.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

No jello, ham, or eggs. But I slow cooked on the smoker a leg of lamb and then made pulled lamb tacos. I’m not sure I have a point beyond that it was delicious to the taste.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

If you want Easter to last for a month, then the Easter Bunny better start delivering large screen tvs, vel sim. At present, the the profits of the candy business just aren't sufficiently motivating to stretch this holiday out. I have faith in humankind's venality, though. Surely we can ruin another month in the year to satisfy our corporate overlords' lust for profits.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

toon wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:01 am
No jello, ham, or eggs. But I slow cooked on the smoker a leg of lamb and then made pulled lamb tacos. I’m not sure I have a point beyond that it was delicious to the taste.
Damn, you did it right. I had ham, deviled eggs, and more chocolate than I should have. I need to get off my lazy ass next year.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

toon wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:01 am
Sounds delicious! My partner did lamb shanks slow cooked in this really stunning gravy (he's the cook not me, so I'm sure there's a better way to say that!), the meat was falling off the bone and reminded me of a pulled dish--I'm showing him your post and asking for pulled lamb tacos next!

No jello for us either, just cheesecake, and no more kiddies so our Easter Eggs are now deviled eggs. My favorite.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Why is it such great news that Jesus is risen? Has there been anyone else ever who has been resurrected yet? Is it even real? There is less evidence for resurrection than NDE's, Book of Mormon DNA, and President Nelson learning Hebrew and Greek all combined. So Jesus got rose up, so what? That literally for ALL of the many hundreds of billions of people who have ever lived on the earth, does precisely nothing for anyone else. So just what is the big deal about such a dubious proposition?

No wonder Peterson, Midge, and Kiwi take off just a few minutes to genuflect to the idea of resurrection, and then get back to what is actually real, lambasting anyone else who disagrees with their interpretations of doctrine, history, Book of Mormon, prophecy, travel by airline, Snickers candy bars, which toilet paper is best to wipe your ass, and mocking everyone and everything else. That is what is real, not this resurrection idea which is worth only a couple minutes reflection, and then only to show the Brethren they still have testimonies and ought to continue getting paid as Mormon scholars working at BYU.
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:35 am
Why is it such great news that Jesus is risen?
Because it's the Ultimate NDE.