Any references where the LDS church encouraged Gay men to marry women?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Any references where the LDS church encouraged Gay men to marry women?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

There's a Mormon on Reddit claiming the church never did that, and it was solely the Gay individual making a personal choice. I'd like to set the record straight (ha).

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Meadowchik
Priest

Re: Any references where the LDS church encouraged Gay men to marry women?

Post by Meadowchik »

Aside from personal anecdotes, it wasn't until relatively recently that the church even acknowledged that being gay was anything other than a temptation. And so, people were encouraged to marry. Benson taught that any righteous man and any righteous woman could have a successful marriage. Therefore, any person "tempted to be gay" could have a successful marriage as long as they are righteous.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Meadowchik wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:17 pm
Aside from personal anecdotes, it wasn't until relatively recently that the church even acknowledged that being gay was anything other than a temptation. And so, people were encouraged to marry. Benson taught that any righteous man and any righteous woman could have a successful marriage. Therefore, any person "tempted to be gay" could have a successful marriage as long as they are righteous.

Oh gawd! I remember all that. I remember my dad telling me to just marry any righteous woman and everything would be just fine.

Well, in fact I did marry a fantastic righteous woman and she was beautiful and very talented, and very smart too. But the fact is, gay men shouldn't be marrying women. Period. It doesn't work.

And don't get me started on President Kimball. That no good piece of crap.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:48 pm
There's a Mormon on Reddit claiming the church never did that, and it was solely the Gay individual making a personal choice. I'd like to set the record straight (ha).

- Doc

Forward this link from our celestial forum. It's the gold standard LGBTQ thread for this board.

Official Homosexuality Thread for the Celestial Forum

p.6 wrote:b) Encourage him (if single) to begin dating and gradually increase its frequency. He might discuss dating practices, expectations and fears with a member of the opposite sex or with those assisting him.
p.9 wrote:Many written testimonies have been gathered from individuals who have overcome homosexual problems and found peace and success in dating, marriage, and Church activity.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Thanks!
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think I understand. These stories have appeared over the years in the Salt Lake Tribune, which True Blue Mormons do not read. Since the stories did not appear in the Deseret News, they, therefore, did not happen.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace