"You Didn't Read the Book, Did You?"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: "You Didn't Read the Book, Did You?"

Post by Gadianton »

You hit it out of the park again, Tom.

There are serious similarities between this incident and the plane incident. the 1985 is the most coherent account. As others have mentioned, these conversion stories get mixed up later on.

But like the 1985 flight story, this story stands on its own as a fully premeditated account of zero credibility:
When two other colleagues—a husband and wife—showed interest in the Church, he explained some of the principles and loaned them a copy of the Book of Mormon. A week later they returned it with a polite thank-you.

“What do you mean, ‘Thanks a lot’?” he asked his two friends. “That is a totally inappropriate response for one who has read this book. You didn’t read it. Please take it back and read it, and then return it to me with a much more appropriate reply.”

Admitting they had only thumbed through it, they accepted his challenge. Three weeks later they returned with tears in their eyes. “We know this book is true,” they said. “How can we learn more?”

Smiling, the young doctor said, “Now I know you’ve read the book. Now we can proceed.” He eventually baptized them.
Lol! okay, As I can believe he had some instability on one of his island-hopping flights, I can believe he baptized a few people during his life -- it does happen. My dad baptized a long string of people outside of his mission. But it doesn't happen like this. This is storytelling; not real life.

Give me a break: "You didn't eat my salsa, if you'd eaten my salsa, you'd be bent over on the throne blasting your insides out!"

No, no, no. This didn't happen. These episodes are as fabricated as his visions of Harold B. Lee.

ETA: Tom, I wish you'd come up with this sooner. This would have saved me some time on the flight thread because this account of the couple is as good of proof that the 1985 flight drama is BS as anything anyone will ever find, or *not find* in the FAA databases.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:30 pm
Fence Sitter wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:26 pm
Bought,

His post was clear.
Oh well. I don't have the patience to read Tom's posts but I am interested in this one. Pres. Nelson was my stake president. I'll just move along in oblivion.
Seriously Bought, it didn't take me over 15 minutes to read, for crying out loud man...
You want a synopsis, I will give ya one. President Nelson met some people, gave them a Book of Mormon, they returned it shortly saying thanks. Nelson gets up in a gander and orders them to go back and read it and then they can continue their conversations. They do so, the conversations continue and he baptizes them. 30 years later Nelson re-meets the woman, who he asked how many more joined Mormonism because of his baptism of her. She said 80. Nelson is a hero.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:42 pm
I swear Dew's account of getting the lady up on stage to ask how many members were added thanks to her baptism along with a dream from the night before, has been applied to about 30 different stories in the church.

Along with Lem's point:
Smiling, the young doctor said, “Now I know you’ve read the book. Now we can proceed.” He eventually baptized them.
Stupid. I got a chuckle. He expressed this weird arrogance making them read it anyway, then is like "we can proceed", as if they failing to read it and have the tear-filled reaction would mean there was nothing to proceed to.
I believe that part was confirmed by the granddaughter.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:54 pm
Bought Yahoo wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:30 pm

Oh well. I don't have the patience to read Tom's posts but I am interested in this one. Pres. Nelson was my stake president. I'll just move along in oblivion.
Seriously Bought, it didn't take me over 15 minutes to read, for crying out loud man...
You want a synopsis, I will give ya one. President Nelson met some people, gave them a Book of Mormon, they returned it shortly saying thanks. Nelson gets up in a gander and orders them to go back and read it and then they can continue their conversations. They do so, the conversations continue and he baptizes them. 30 years later Nelson re-meets the woman, who he asked how many more joined Mormonism because of his baptism of her. She said 80. Nelson is a hero.
That's a great story.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:24 pm

Tom: Give me the snyopsis in three sentences or so. Thanks.
Don't be a lazy learner.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
mcjathan
Nursery

Post by mcjathan »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 pm
A lawyer who hates to read. SMDH.

- Doc
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:18 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:54 pm
30 years later Nelson re-meets the woman, who he asked how many more joined Mormonism because of his baptism of her. She said 80. Nelson is a hero.
That's a great story.
Unfortunately....
The story goes on to describe how Nelson asked Beverly, ”How many people connected with you have come into the Church since I baptized you?” Astonished, she revealed a dream she had the night before in which someone at the conference asked her that very question. Because of the dream she came prepared with a piece of paper in her purse with the answer to the question.

According to Leslie and Katie McKenzie, daughter and granddaughter of Derwin and Beverley (whose name is spelled wrong in the LDS Living article), that is not what happened.

However, in these versions, there is no mention of... a serendipitous encounter at a stake conference in Tennessee.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

You know, Tom makes an inference most will not notice- that is Rusty's lying has "compromised" a number of reporters and his biographers like Condie and Dew. They probably thought Nelson's stories were at their core true but they now know otherwise- but they must give him a pass on credibility and keep their mouths shut- who can say the PSR is embellishing, fabricating, or lying in the cases Tom has cited.
And the tens of thousands of members who attended these stadium lectures were all hoodwinked! Who then should get to Nelson and urge him to retract these fake stories? Who will stand in the gap and urge truth telling by the richest dude on earth? No member will dare!

k
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:53 am
dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:42 pm
I swear Dew's account of getting the lady up on stage to ask how many members were added thanks to her baptism along with a dream from the night before, has been applied to about 30 different stories in the church.

Along with Lem's point:

Stupid. I got a chuckle. He expressed this weird arrogance making them read it anyway, then is like "we can proceed", as if they failing to read it and have the tear-filled reaction would mean there was nothing to proceed to.
I believe that part was confirmed by the granddaughter.
Wait what part? That he said "we can proceed"? I mean it's still kind of weird. Obviously the granddaughter would have heard that from Nelson. Its like he ignored these people for a few weeks after condemning them for not giving the book a good read. His behavior's unappealing to me, even as he describes it to make himself look good.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Sorry for being unclear, Stem. I meant the part about calling the woman up and asking how many people had joined because of her. Not the embellished version in Dew’s book, but the first version he told.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.