"You Didn't Read the Book, Did You?"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: "You Didn't Read the Book, Did You?"

Post by Moksha »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:30 pm
I don't have the patience to read Tom's posts but I am interested in this one. Pres. Nelson was my stake president. I'll just move along in Oblivion.
Not sure what role "reluctance to read" would be assigned in Oblivion. Have you collected any sigils yet?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

You all realize, of course, that this is how scriptures came to be, right?

If this story had happened a few hundred years ago, our current version might have had Nelson walking on water to give them the book, changing the water into wine at the couple's wedding, or bringing the couples firstborn back from the dead.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Reminds me a bit of Joseph Campbell's series, "Transformations of Myth Through Time".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:19 pm
You all realize, of course, that this is how scriptures came to be, right?

If this story had happened a few hundred years ago, our current version might have had Nelson walking on water to give them the book, changing the water into wine at the couple's wedding, or bringing the couples firstborn back from the dead.
Will future generations argue on their equivalent of message boards about whether Nelson was a real person?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

It's amazing that that is all he gives a flying flip about. How many joined the church because of me? I mean ego still thyself!
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:03 pm
It's amazing that that is all he gives a flying flip about. How many joined the church because of me? I mean ego still thyself!
Nelson's ego and high opinion of himself seems to be a strand running through all of his anecdotes. Indeed, he thought so highly of himself he produced a personal autobiography so that his extended family could read about how wonderful and influential he was. Within his stories he's always at the centre, being the key factor of whatever point he's making. Humility does not seem to be his middle name. Perhaps it's the heart surgeons "God Complex".