Will the WoW shift toward a "sustainability revelation?"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Will the WoW shift toward a "sustainability revelation?"

Post by Dr Moore »

For the millennium to come, sustainability may just be the defining challenge for humankind. How will we evolve as a species to keep our planet hospitable?

Scientific consensus appears to overwhelmingly accept that drastic change is required to halt and repair damage to our atmosphere, oceans and forests. Now, before some of you jump on me over nits in the details of global warming or Seaspiracy, I'm not here to grind any political axes or stake out new ground on sustainability per se. I'm not an expert -- I'm just a fellow human sharing this planet with all the rest of you. But I am watching with great interest as society introduces innovative solutions to combat the rising risk of permanent, possibly catastrophic, global climate change.

Consider, for instance, Beyond Meat (BYND), which sold about $400 million in plant-based meat substitutes last year. Beyond aims to permanently impact the >$1 trillion global meat industry with a product that resembles the taste and texture of meat, but without the environmental impact of meat and eventually at a ~50% lower cost per pound for consumers. BYND is valued at $10 billion today. I've tried all of the Beyond products and have to say, it's really close. Not perfect, but definitely promising, and this is very, very early days. I don't think we'll ever go backward; it's a question of what pace going forward. Probably, like history, things will crawl and then leap. Anyhow, it's intriguing to wonder where meat substitutes will be in 10 years? 20 years? 50 years? If sustainability is an inevitable human imperative, then in what year will meat substitute sales exceed sales of actual meat?

If scientific analysis is to be trusted, reducing the number of animals raised for slaughter is a critical element to curbing climate change. I don't know if this is a panacea, but the notion that cow farts and cow burps are a leading cause of global warming seems to have gelled among leading minds. Bill Gates, for one, as you can watch in this enjoyable taste testing with Mark Rober (who happens to be an active Mormon, by the way).

I'm just thinking about the future and wondering out loud:

Could the Word of Wisdom be shifted toward a "sustainable Earth revelation?" How likely is it that someday, say in the year 2033 or 2045, an articulate Apostle will deliver the long-awaited talk that connects our "glorious and beautiful" earth to the Word of Wisdom?

Below, I offer a few data points.

1. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... nservation

While the church's entry on conservation does not (yet?) deal with topics like global warming or reducing meat consumption, it does embrace the potential for future sustainability practices the society may embrace.
The fulness of the earth is to be used with wisdom and restraint.
2. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 9?lang=eng

Section 89 offers a few lines of text which I suspect could be back-dated into a sort of "sustainability revelation." Give it a try by re-reading the verses dealing with meat consumption with an eye on key words that hearken to sustainability. I've highlighted some of them in bold.

10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;

15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.

16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—

17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.
The church has historically read the WoW in terms of benefits to "man" or "mankind." But why not allow it to be a metaphor for the home of mankind, i.e. the Earth itself?

A step further, knowing the power of parallelomania and faith-promotion by insinuation and implied dot connecting, I can envision a thoughtful Q15 member in the future pointing to verse 18 and observing an ancient connection to the temple ceremony. Before man was formed, the Earth was made. This creation motif is central to the plan of salvation and the temple ceremony. After the creation, as we know, Jehovah and Elohim marvel that the world they've made is "glorious and beautiful." Is it a stretch to think that doctrinal consensus will eventually be asserted that the Word of Wisdom in Section 89, by advising toward sparing use of animals for meat, Jehovah intended to sustain the glorious and beautiful earth as much as to offer health advice for the Saints?
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Re: Will the WoW shift toward a "sustainability revelation?"

Post by Bought Yahoo »

I don't see it. I don't see the Word of Wisdom as any kind of revelation, at least they way we live it now.

Brigham Young used tobacco and coffee and could never quit them. He railed against their use but purely on economic principles. (Don't spend your money on frivolities.) Talmage was a drinker of hard spirits. William Clayton was accused of being an alchoholic, and mission journal carefully documents every time he had "a pint." It really isn't revelation.
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:37 pm
I don't see it. I don't see the Word of Wisdom as any kind of revelation, at least they way we live it now.

Brigham Young used tobacco and coffee and could never quit them. He railed against their use but purely on economic principles. (Don't spend your money on frivolities.) Talmage was a drinker of hard spirits. William Clayton was accused of being an alchoholic, and mission journal carefully documents every time he had "a pint." It really isn't revelation.
This response suggests that you read the title, but not the post.
Aristotle Smith
Sunbeam

Post by Aristotle Smith »

--
Last edited by Aristotle Smith on Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

If scientific analysis is to be trusted, reducing the number of animals raised for slaughter is a critical element to curbing climate change.
That's probably true, but I'd add that even if somehow slaughter houses could be green, then there is still a big problem with the pain and suffering that humans inflict on animals. For the Church there is no issue here, because animals were ordained for the use of man, and so that's that. If we colonize the stars one day, then we can we can multiply the suffering by thousands, and for me, that leaves humans as an invasive species and I just don't see the moral justifications for humans to continue, even if we could make it practical to do so.

But to the main point, the word of wisdom as "temperance" in theory should work for sustainability ideals. One would think that the church that pushed 2-years of food storage and disaster preparedness could easily move into sustainability as an ideal. There could be all kinds of similar family home evening workshops built around it. In theory it sounds so natural, but nothing could be more foreign for those who know how it is with the Church and members. The biggest obstacle as I'm sure I don't have to tell you is right-wing politics, and that won't change any time soon. It might be interesting one day to see just how far back this impulse goes, I've never really dug into it. I came across a Neal A. Maxwell talk from 1974 the other day criticizing society's misplaced good intentions, the context was mainly welfare, but I'm sure it goes for anything falling under the umbrella of secularism. Anything that requires collective action vs. a market solution will certainly be a problem.

I don't know if it was a temporary countercurrent, I think it may have been, but when I got into the Last Days in High School, it seemed obvious that the destructions of the Last Days would come about by man being poor stewards of the earth - "great pollutions" and wars. There should have been an opportunity there. But then it was the weirdest thing, as a senior, my seminary teacher went on this big rant against environmentalism. His main ammo was a scripture in the D&C that says (from memory) the earth's resources are plentiful, and he interpreted that to mean that it was a lie that oil would run out or anything like that. Now, I didn't like this guy, so it's not like I was personally confused, but I thought he was confused. How can you have the end-of-the-world prophecies fulfilled if industry and war doesn't destroy the environment?
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:30 am
There could be all kinds of similar family home evening workshops built around it. In theory it sounds so natural, but nothing could be more foreign for those who know how it is with the Church and members. The biggest obstacle as I'm sure I don't have to tell you is right-wing politics, and that won't change any time soon.
Astute observation. I think it's inevitable, but as you note, any kind of post-dated stock option-like revelation for the WoW limiting meat as an earth sustainability is likely going to be 1-2 generations away. By then, it will be too late to be forward thinking and society will have long-since embraced the behavior and ideals. For whoever is left as TBM, it will be a glorious revelation nonetheless.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:26 pm
Bought Yahoo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:37 pm

This response suggests that you read the title, but not the post.
BY doesn’t read?!?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Maybe instead of the plant based substitutes, lab grown meat will save us all.

But how would the WoW square that I wonder. I guess no harm no foul.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:18 am
Maybe instead of the plant based substitutes, lab grown meat will save us all.

But how would the WoW square that I wonder. I guess no harm no foul.
The WoW is an identity thing. When the Brethren say it's a spiritual law and not a physical law, they're sort of right about that. Will you be different in ways that range from sensible to silly, in order to show that you affirm the Brethren? I think you really can question the commitment of someone who drinks decaffeinated coffee. You want the guy who will cut the head off of Laban when called to do so by the prophet. If you're testing the law to see what you can get away with, then you've already outed yourself. When you look at it that way, then it could never really work to promote sustainability because sustainability is what the world needs. What the Church needs is people who are willing to cut ties with the world and serve the Church. That doesn't mean politics couldn't change a little, and the WoW be compatible with sustainability, but its objective can't be an ideal that the wise people of the world embrace already. It has to be something that shows where the wise people falter. "Look at the herd! They've saved the planet with their plant-based meat and their algae smoothies, but yet drinketh they the black damnations -- coffee and tea -- as if it were totally acceptable."
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

There is an interesting piece in the Deseret News about Joseph Smith's sermons that I think shows how far removed the modern church now is in terms of orthodoxy, from the church and membership Joseph encouraged.
“I love that man better who swears a stream as long as my arm. and administ(er)ing to the poor & dividi(n)g his substance. than the long smoothed faced hypo(c)rites,” Joseph said in a sermon recorded by Willard Richards on May 21, 1843.