Mofluencer Wars

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Mofluencer Wars

Post by Kishkumen »

Not sure what to say except, “How predictable!” Kwaku El has posted a moronic pseudo-Nightline video on YouTube entitled, “The End of John Dehlin.” I don’t think he is acquainted with the word subtlety. Maybe his Junior Dictionary skipped it? In any case, a lot of laugh-worthy, tepid drama and recycling of insipid accusations and counter-accusations. If this was supposed to be part of Mormonism’s MeToo moment, it was stillborn. Only a complete idiot would involve Kwaku in anything even tangentially related to MeToo. You know, the guy who brags about scoring with the ladies on Twitter and the same one who put on parties at the height of COVID. If these are the scariest opponents John Dehlin can attract, then he has little to worry about. The video is really convincing to every desperate loser with an IQ somewhere south of 100.

https://youtu.be/MCLZ4vWcGEU
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Shulem
God

El Quacko gonna get the Twitter gurlz!

Post by Shulem »

fine whatever
Last edited by Shulem on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Mofluencer Wars

Post by dastardly stem »

Yeah...I mean everything in that video has been hashed out here and is old news, type of stuff. But I can't deny that he has set himself up with a cult of personality...and some of those allegations are still concerning. I have nothing against him, but its really tough seeing the adoration people put into him, acting as if he's prophet-like. And his emotional language, the way he frames things...I think ultimately it can safely be said he's causing problems for people--making them think things that aren't violence (like the Church's discipline practices), for instance, are violence and other such things. Saying that after having seen too many people go from happy members contributing to society to miserable non members who can't to even function in society, while being dedicated disciples of Dehlin. I mean that's an extremely unfair thing to put on him, because there are obviously tons of factors at play...but I can't imagine the way he frames things is helping.

oh...and look, Kwaku El and company dug through the conversations on the old board we all loved.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

A problem to be sure. I have totally jettisoned FAIR's legitimacy over the Kraku stuf

Oh, and further, I wish Shades would edit or ban Shulem. Vulgarity has its place, but not all the time and not among civilized folk.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:41 pm
Yeah...I mean everything in that video has been hashed out here and is old news, type of stuff. But I can't deny that he has set himself up with a cult of personality...and some of those allegations are still concerning. I have nothing against him, but its really tough seeing the adoration people put into him, acting as if he's prophet-like. And his emotional language, the way he frames things...I think ultimately it can safely be said he's causing problems for people--making them think things that aren't violence (like the Church's discipline practices), for instance, are violence and other such things. Saying that after having seen too many people go from happy members contributing to society to miserable non members who can't to even function in society, while being dedicated disciples of Dehlin. I mean that's an extremely unfair thing to put on him, because there are obviously tons of factors at play...but I can't imagine the way he frames things is helping.

oh...and look, Kwaku El and company dug through the conversations on the old board we all loved.
That stuff about violence is pretty common on the political left. The term is pretty quickly losing its force thanks to profligate overuse of it. John Dehlin threw his lot in with the left, and he is being savaged for not being woke enough. It is not uncommon in movements of this kind. They eat their own. Kwaku is only too happy to exploit the ammo that he can find in this civil war among the woke-Mo brigades. I also doubt the LDS Church's leaders and apologists will shed any tears over it.

I agree with you that the whole thing is a regrettable spectacle, but it is difficult to find the guilty party in this kind of circular firing squad, and I include everyone in that. Vanity Fair.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:10 pm
A problem to be sure. I have totally jettisoned FAIR's legitimacy over the Kraku stuf

Oh, and further, I wish Shades would edit or ban Shulem. Vulgarity has its place, but not all the time and not among civilized folk.
I hear you. Krapu has really torched the brand.

And I agree with you about Shulem's post on this thread. It belongs in Telestial.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:48 pm
That stuff about violence is pretty common on the political left.
I agree and it rankles quite a bit. I suppose that is part of my point, he has seemingly adopted a very problematic method, seemingly creeping into his own field of psychology (or so it seems to some extent) that is nothing short of postmodern garbage, often defeating the stated purposes advocated for. But again, I think I'd be going a little too far on my criticism on this point, since I'm not expert and haven't exactly paid enough attention to Dehlin to leave it there. But it is a concern since it seems the power of words has taken a particular hold on the Mormon stores community. I'll stop acting knowledgeable on this now.
The term is pretty quickly losing its force thanks to profligate overuse of it. John Dehlin threw his lot in with the left, and he is being savaged for not being woke enough. It is not uncommon in movements of this kind. They eat their own. Kwaku is only too happy to exploit the ammo that he can find in this civil war among the woke-Mo brigades. I also doubt the LDS Church's leaders and apologists will shed any tears over it.

I agree with you that the whole thing is a regrettable spectacle, but it is difficult to find the guilty party in this kind of circular firing squad, and I include everyone in that. Vanity Fair.
All very good points. Also I've paid less attention to Kwaku then Dehlin so I have less to say. He seems far more interested in making a good time of it then anything. I just wanted to chime in to point out his point that Dehlin is somehow occupying a near prophet-like status among a certain segment...which is odd since their whole point is to decry that type of arrangement.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

screw you Bought Yahoo !!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:05 pm
I agree and it rankles quite a bit. I suppose that is part of my point, he has seemingly adopted a very problematic method, seemingly creeping into his own field of psychology (or so it seems to some extent) that is nothing short of postmodern garbage, often defeating the stated purposes advocated for. But again, I think I'd be going a little too far on my criticism on this point, since I'm not expert and haven't exactly paid enough attention to Dehlin to leave it there. But it is a concern since it seems the power of words has taken a particular hold on the Mormon stores community. I'll stop acting knowledgeable on this now.
Maybe it is psychology mixed with ideology. I share a lot of the same avowed goals and concerns as those who say they are fighting for equality. I would say women have the priesthood and there should be gay Mormon marriages, etc. But I let my feet speak for me. When I had a problem with the LDS Church, I left it. If I were really devoted to my cause, I would start a new church where we have all the stuff we believe we should have. If Smith can do it, so can others. And they do.

That said, I also applaud those who help the suffering. People are born into the LDS Church, and they suffer with the consequences, if they don't fit the LDS idea in some way. So I am supportive of those who help others adjust to life after Mormonism, if that is what they choose.

But I am not really a big activist. My experience of activists is that they tend to have a lot of zeal and not a lot of knowledge or responsibility. I have seen activist groups behave more tyrannically within their organizations than the people they criticize and attack. Not that I don't agree with what they are pushing for. I just leave them to it and do what I can from the outside because I am not going to play their internal political games. I fell out of the John Dehlin orbit pretty quickly. I stayed away from the Mormon feminists after a couple of posts. I don't regret either move.

The problem is people. People are people. Mormon people are Mormons long after they leave the chapel. You can't just say you don't believe in the prophet and then you are cured from seeking a replacement.
All very good points. Also I've paid less attention to Kwaku then Dehlin so I have less to say. He seems far more interested in making a good time of it then anything. I just wanted to chime in to point out his point that Dehlin is somehow occupying a near prophet-like status among a certain segment...which is odd since their whole point is to decry that type of arrangement.
Yes, it is odd. John is a minor celebrity. Kwaku wants to become a minor celebrity, and he seems to be on his way, unless his repeated sloppiness trips him up. Kate Kelly is another. I will leave them to it. I have no interest.
Kishkumen
God

Re: El Quacko gonna get the Twitter gurlz!

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:04 pm
fine whatever
Telestial is a fine place for that humor, Shulem.