Chapstick owns the apologists on the Liahona

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Chapstick owns the apologists on the Liahona

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:27 am
The Interpreter - A Journal of "Squinting your Eyes and From the Right Angle This Feels Ancient" can't seem to acknowledge this giant bullseye! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Wordplay is such fun.

Here’s another one on Liahona.

Lee: windward side of a ship.
Hone/hona: that which is greatly desired.

Nephi and his family were blown before the wind toward the promised land. Or, that was true as long as they behaved and the Liahona continued working.
1 Ne 18:8
And it came to pass after we had all gone down into the ship, and had taken with us our provisions and things which had been commanded us, we did put forth into the ​​​sea​ and were driven forth before the wind towards the ​​​promised land​.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Yeah. Who could possibly think Joseph Smith would, you know, borrow things when creating his religion?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Allan Wyatt wrote:Besides something "special" in the Book of Mormon, you ask for "unique teachings or doctrine" that it contains. I'm curious where you ever got the idea that it SHOULD contain unique teachings or doctrine.
Allan Wyatt, who has never had anything to do with FAIR, raises a really good point.
https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/ans ... _doctrines

It is a mystery how a critic could possibly come to that idea.
https://knowhy.bookofmormoncentral.org/ ... -of-Mormon

It's definitely not something that the Book of Mormon itself suggests.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... ng=eng#p40
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

That Wyatt. What a card!

Every oppressive totalitarian regime needs its Allan Wyatt.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I thought that the Mopologists' reaction to Chapstick's observations was remarkable: "What an idiot you are to think that the torpedoes are similar to the liahona!" Then you take a step back and think about all the "parallelism" that they've done before--with the LGT, with "NHM," and on and on and on. Their hypocrisy is just par for the course.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:48 pm
I thought that the Mopologists' reaction to Chapstick's observations was remarkable: "What an idiot you are to think that the torpedoes are similar to the liahona!" Then you take a step back and think about all the "parallelism" that they've done before--with the LGT, with "NHM," and on and on and on. Their hypocrisy is just par for the course.
Torpedos to a Liahona, harumph! We have lots better parallels with horses to tapirs you idiots!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Doctor Scratch wrote:

Indeed. If the Mopologists had a literary connection as strong as the Late War torpedo's connection to the Liahona, they'd literally never shut up about it.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:41 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:

Indeed. If the Mopologists had a literary connection as strong as the Late War torpedo's connection to the Liahona, they'd literally never shut up about it.
QFTx1000
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hello, Mr. Peterson! I’m glad my image above merited a response on your blog:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... raphy.html

You could just credit the Masons, though.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.