Chapstick owns the apologists on the Liahona

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Physics Guy
God

Re: Chapstick owns the apologists on the Liahona

Post by Physics Guy »

Yes, that's an interesting point. If anything like the Late War torpedoes were somehow to turn up in some ancient Middle Eastern text, Mormon apologists would be claiming the similarity of the Liahona as a great bullseye proving that the Book of Mormon had to be authentically ancient because nobody could possibly write about something so similar just by coincidence.

It seems this verb is irregular: I have a bullseye, you have parallelomania, they have nothing similar at all.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

Maybe the Jaredites took all the torpedos with them, and that is why there is no record in the ancient Middle East.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Dwight wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:42 pm
Maybe the Jaredites took all the torpedos with them, and that is why there is no record in the ancient Middle East.
They renounced war, and beat their torpedoes into liahonas. (after removing the explosives, of course)
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Without resorting to whataboutism, does anyone here seriously think a compass is close to a torpedo in form or function?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Sledge wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:27 am
Without resorting to whataboutism, does anyone here seriously think a compass is close to a torpedo in form or function?
No. Do you think the descriptions of the two are similar enough that it’s plausible Joseph Smith would borrow it for his ‘translation’? Comparison for reference:

http://wordtree.org/thelatewar/#liahona

How would you explain the ‘hits’ if the above isn’t the case?

edit: It’s possible when Joseph Smith used the word “spindles” he meant ‘hands’ due to the description.

edit2: OR he was describing this (god I love Google):

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:34 am
Sledge wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:27 am
No. Do you think the descriptions of the two are similar enough that it’s plausible Joseph Smith would borrow it for his ‘translation’? Comparison for reference:

http://wordtree.org/thelatewar/#liahona

How would you explain the ‘hits’ if the above isn’t the case?

edit: It’s possible when Joseph Smith used the word “spindles” he meant ‘hands’ due to the description.

edit2: OR he was describing this (god I love Google):

- Doc
I assure you, Doc, that I’m quite familiar with the details of the arguments for and against the parallels in The Late War and The Book of Mormon.

I’m glad to know that you do not believe torpedoes and compasses share common form or function.

I’m sorry to disappoint, but the other so-called parallels are equally as unimpressive.

(I assume I do not need to link you to FAIR, who has dismantled this quite easily.)
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Go ahead, I’ll take a look.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

“Sledge” wrote:
(I assume I do not need to link you to FAIR, who has dismantled this quite easily.)
Sledge,

This is the only article FAIR has on the topic. https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/ans ... r%27%27%3F

Can you please point out in this article where FAIR has “dismantled” anything?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Can you please point out in this article where FAIR has “dismantled” anything?
I think Sledge/Bodhi should forget about the Late War, and instead work on an apology to Kishkumen. Those were some dreadful comments Sledge/Bodhi made over at SeN.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:18 am
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Can you please point out in this article where FAIR has “dismantled” anything?
I think Sledge/Bodhi should forget about the Late War, and instead work on an apology to Kishkumen. Those were some dreadful comments Sledge/Bodhi made over at SeN.
Sir, is this “Discuss Mormonism” or “Middle School Gossip Hour?”

Would you care to weigh in on how similar torpedoes are to compasses? Or perhaps spinning wheels to 60” LED televisions?