r/horse?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Joe knew about tapirs

Post by Shulem »

Shulem is upping the tapir game just in time for Peterson to retire in disgrace.

:twisted:

I want to put Daniel P Peterson in his place and show him who the real teacher is -- ME!

I, Shulem, will teach him a lesson he'll never forget.

Let's be clear about something. Joseph Smith was no dummy and neither was Oliver Cowdery his scribe. Smith grew up and lived on a farm. He knew all about animals and understood their habit. He probably, most assuredly, heard of the tapir, too. Of course the Smith's knew about tapirs! How could they not seeing they were farmers and well acquainted with raising animals and knew about animals from far and abroad.

Folks, here is an original antique 1812 print of a tapir. I trust the Smith family would have appreciated this kind of art:

I want to make it absolutely clear that tapirs are NOT mentioned in the Book of Mormon, not even once!

But I'm confident that Smith and Cowdery (school teacher) knew what a tapir was and that it was not anything like a horse.

Isn't that right, Lem dear?

;)
Shulem
God

George Washington's horse?

Post by Shulem »

Here is an antique print of a TAPIR-Buffon-1772, the plate engraved by a French naturalist.

Lem
God

Re: Joe knew about tapirs

Post by Lem »

Shulem wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm
Shulem is upping the tapir game just in time for Peterson to retire in disgrace.

:twisted:

I want to put Daniel P Peterson in his place and show him who the real teacher is -- ME!

I, Shulem, will teach him a lesson he'll never forget.

Let's be clear about something. Joseph Smith was no dummy and neither was Oliver Cowdery his scribe. Smith grew up and lived on a farm. He knew all about animals and understood their habit. He probably, most assuredly, heard of the tapir, too. Of course the Smith's knew about tapirs! How could they not seeing they were farmers and well acquainted with raising animals and knew about animals from far and abroad.

Folks, here is an original antique 1812 print of a tapir. I trust the Smith family would have appreciated this kind of art:

I want to make it absolutely clear that tapirs are NOT mentioned in the Book of Mormon, not even once!

But I'm confident that Smith and Cowdery (school teacher) knew what a tapir was and that it was not anything like a horse.

Isn't that right, Lem dear?

;)
I don't know, I learned from you about the Whistler's-Mum-style portrait of Lucy Mack Smith(?), with that awful facsimile containing the faked priest head painted in its background, so it is certainly possible that an accurate rendition of a real life animal may have been be more realism than they were used to!! :lol:
Shulem
God

Joe's horse?

Post by Shulem »

Lem wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:54 pm
so it is certainly possible that an accurate rendition of a real life animal may have been be more realism than they were used to!! :lol:

Oh, but people loved to draw animals and have been doing that since the dawn of time. Here is a beautiful original hand colored antique print of a tapir drawn in 1821, just in time for the Book of Mormon.

"Now when Lamoni had heard this he caused that his servants should make ready his horses and his chariots."

(sorry, chariots not included)

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: r/horse?

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I’m trying to channel Shulem for this post.

Cain riding a horse:

King Lamoni on his chariot being pulled by his fastest horse:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Everybody Wang Chung, your channeling is so good it's scary.

You aren't related to Judy Zebra Knight, are you?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:57 am
I could sit here and watch the Charge of the Light Tapir Brigade all day.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Seriously, does anyone here actually believe that Smith had never heard of a tapir? It seems that apologists are taking a gamble and assuming he had not. In doing so they think they can classify Smith's Book of Mormon horse as a tapir. But the tapir was a known animal and I showed earlier it was in the current Webster dictionary of the day. I can't support the idea that Smith hadn't heard of tapirs. The tapir is an animal of the American continent and had been already classified by zoologists hundreds of years before Smith was born.

Oh, I think Smith knew what a tapir was and probably had seen artwork of them and other various animals around the world. I also think he had heard of the name Alma which was thoroughly discussed in another thread. But suppose, Smith really did know what a tapir was and Oliver Cowdery too; what will that do to the apologist's defense of the horse in the Book of Mormon? So, what I'm suggesting is that Smith did know about tapirs but had no idea or concept that horses were NOT native to Book of Mormon times.

Defending the Book of Mormon just got a little harder. Smith was no dummy. I believe he knew all about tapirs. He did NOT include tapirs in the Book of Mormon. But he did write about horses and we all know what a horse is and so did Joseph. He road them and appreciated them in his daily life.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:35 pm
Indeed, Smith was being very specific and exact in that horses are fed oats -- fed literally by the hand of man. He was not referencing any other animal but the HORSE. He had no allusion to tapirs, elephants, and cureloms with regard to horses being fed oats. Every animal in its own class, after it's own kind, and in it's own sphere. That is what Smith taught (Moses 2:24,25; 3:20).

Smith was well versed in the creation account and the making of animals as recorded in Genesis and within a couple of years of dictating the Book of Mormon he stole whole sections from the KJV Bible and adopted it into his Book of Moses.

The point I'm making is that animals after their "kind" was a standard fare in describing animals. The horse after its kind and the tapir after its kind. They are different animals. But, suppose just for a moment that Smith really hadn't heard of the tapir, then what? Suppose this was one of the animals in the Book of Mormon he needed to name but because he didn't know the ENGLISH term, he would have to come up with something different -- perhaps the actual Book of Mormon term they used which was NOT English. An example of that would be cureloms and cumoms. Those are nonEnglish terms for animals in Book of Mormon language. There are lots of made-up Book of Mormon words and names in Smith's novel! So, if tapirs were really the animals to substitute horse and Smith was unaware of the name then he would have used the Book of Mormon name -- every animal after its own kind. To cross a horse with a tapir is anti-Genesis and defies the creation account in naming each animal after its own kind.

Book of Mormon defenders can't save the horse anymore than Book of Abraham defenders can save the King's name in Facsimile No. 3. At some point the lying and deception becomes so blatant and obvious that everyone will be left to wonder if Mormons have an honest bone in their bodies. Mormonism and deception go hand in hand and are practically synonymous in terms. I believe that Daniel P Peterson is to the core a dishonest and deceitful man. He has lived a life of lying. That is what he does. He loves to lie.