More light reading: Russell Surprises Rabbi during Reception preceding Presidential Prayer Breakfast

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: More light reading: Russell Surprises Rabbi during Reception preceding Presidential Prayer Breakfast

Post by IHAQ »

Lem wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:58 pm
Nelson seems to build his stories up from small experiences. Nelson originally told this anecdote in a 1997 BYU speech, where he refers to the National Prayer Breakfast he attended earlier in the year. In the transcript of the 1997 prayer breakfast, at about 34:25, Al Gore says this:
....when this Minister revisited the White House earlier this year I was reminded of the famous chapter in Ezekiel 37 when Ezekiel is placed in the valley and I saw a great many bones on the floor....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTyqgzZcxEQ
He then proceeded to quote about the first 10 verses of Ezekiel 37. I have a hard time believing two NY rabbis couldn't remember what was in verse 16 of that same chapter, either before or after, but especially not after so much of it was quoted at the very event they were currently attending.
Great catch Lem!

Russell M. Nelson's track record on anecdotes now appears to look similar to that of a serial liar.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: More light reading: Russell Surprises Rabbi during Reception preceding Presidential Prayer Breakfast

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

This also seems appropriate since Russell M. Nelson really seems hung up on being The Man:

I suppose is you're insecure about being respected you can always just make up a bunch of BS about yourself and pass it off as the truth.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doc
I suppose is you're insecure about being respected you can always just make up a bunch of B.S. about yourself and pass it off as the truth.
Apologists have taken to this strategy more and more so it makes sense...