Seniors invited to pay an additional minimum $1,200 a month to serve a senior service mission

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Seniors invited to pay an additional minimum $1,200 a month to serve a senior service mission

Post by IHAQ »

Based on area presidency direction and approval, eligible members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints anywhere in the world may now be considered for a senior service mission.

A letter from the First Presidency released May 6 details the expanded senior service mission opportunities.

“We are deeply grateful for the faithful service of senior missionaries around the world and for the significant contributions they make in building the kingdom of God,” wrote President Russell M. Nelson and his counselors, President Dallin H. Oaks and President Henry B. Eyring.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/global/20 ... nds-212636
What are senior service missionaries?

Senior service missionaries, formerly known as Church-service missionaries, offer service to the Lord as their circumstances allow through a minimum weekly time commitment determined by the area presidency. In the United States and Canada, the minimum is eight hours per week.

Individuals and couples serving senior service missions generally live at home and serve for six to 24 months. They assist a variety of Church functions and operations around the world, including bishops’ storehouses, distribution centers, FamilySearch centers, self-reliance programs, BYU–Pathway and employment centers.
When you click the link to seniormissionary.ChurchofJesusChrist.org. it takes you through a series of questions, one of which reads...
"At the time of your anticipated service, will you be able to afford a minimum monthly expense of USD $1,200 ?"

So the Church (with >$100 billion in invested, liquid funds) wants you to pay at least $1,200 a month to do service from home, on top of your tithing and other donations...
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Seniors invited to pay an additional minimum $1,200 a month to serve a senior service mission

Post by Res Ipsa »

IHAQ, take another look. The costs are for proselytizing missions. The service missions are performed from home and do not appear to involve a cost.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
IHAQ
God

Re: Seniors invited to pay an additional minimum $1,200 a month to serve a senior service mission

Post by IHAQ »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:24 pm
IHAQ, take another look. The costs are for proselytizing missions. The service missions are performed from home and do not appear to involve a cost.
I can't see where it makes that distinction. When following the question trail all service opportunities are listed following me saying I can afford $1,200 a month and don't have any under 18's living at home.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:22 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:24 pm
I can't see where it makes that distinction. When following the question trail all service opportunities are listed following me saying I can afford $1,200 a month and don't have any under 18's living at home.
Yes, it asks for both in all cases. But if you look at the actual listings, the service missions do not have a cost (because the people who serve live at home).
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Most of the stay at home opportunities note that the missionaries must provide their own car. the lds church is getting a lot of free employment, while asking members to cover all business expenses. Like a pyramid scheme. :roll:

On another note, this reference to stake presidents as 'mission presidents' is interesting. Last month, a press release referred to bishops as 'mission presidents' over their youth.
All the standard requirements for a service missionary apply, with some flexibility given to the time and schedule. The stake president becomes the service missionary’s “mission president,” but the missionary serves under the direction of the temple president.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/temples/2 ... nts-203416
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

I have a friend whose dad was a lawyer. After retirement he did a service mission helping do legal work. His mom got to hang out at the office and help do some things, but she mostly just sat around.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:47 pm
Yes, it asks for both in all cases. But if you look at the actual listings, the service missions do not have a cost (because the people who serve live at home).
Got it, thanks