Mormonism, factual relativism, and Donald Trump

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Mormonism, factual relativism, and Donald Trump

Post by Jersey Girl »

Oh thank God. The Lord himself has heard my prayer and granted Alf safe passage to these tattered shores. Save us, Alf. Save us. Look at all these stupid people. They're everywhere. They don't even know they're stupid. Deliver us, oh Alf O'Mega. I mean Alphus and Omegus. Deliver us from our intellectual muck and mire.

In the name of Craig, JAK, Gunnar and the Jersey Girl.

Amen.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Fri May 14, 2021 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:23 am
The Stig wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:43 pm

RFM is on this board as consiglieri.

Mormon Stories is run by John Dehlin. He can be found on Facebook, but he is also embroiled in a bit of controversy (see the Rosebud thread also on this board).

LDL can also be found via Facebook.
Thanks. Perhaps consiglieri's ears will itch at your mention of his handle. I tried reached out via email to Bill but he appears to use Gmail which means no one new can ever email him without going to spam.

In coming back to Mormonism as an exmo, there are a lot of fascinating intersections with other religious and political movements that I have covered.

I'm up for discussing these intersections and also to help publish articles from people here, should they be interested. My new site, Flux, is one of the few general-interest publications that aims to cover theological controversies.
You can private message him here through the system. I have a hunch he'll be interested.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:14 pm
Thanks. Although I left Mormonism a number of years ago and have discussed it on NPR and other general-interest media, I haven't interacted much with with the Post-Mormon community. Now that I am working on a memoir that deals heavily with Christian and Mormon fundamentalism, I figured I should rectify that.

I'm interested in seeing what the posters here have to say and also if anyone knows of some exmo podcasters out there.
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this on your blog!
https://flux.community/daily-kos/walter ... wing-media
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:12 am
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:14 pm
Thanks. Although I left Mormonism a number of years ago and have discussed it on NPR and other general-interest media, I haven't interacted much with with the Post-Mormon community. Now that I am working on a memoir that deals heavily with Christian and Mormon fundamentalism, I figured I should rectify that.

I'm interested in seeing what the posters here have to say and also if anyone knows of some exmo podcasters out there.
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this on your blog!
https://flux.community/daily-kos/walter ... wing-media
Thanks. I enjoyed that piece as well
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:33 am
Oh thank God. The Lord himself has heard my prayer and granted Alf safe passage to these tattered shores. Save us, Alf. Save us. Look at all these stupid people. They're everywhere. They don't even know they're stupid. Deliver us, oh Alf O'Mega. I mean Alphus and Omegus. Deliver us from our intellectual muck and mire.

Amen.
:D I suppose it was wrong of me not to remark on my user name.

It's a reference to D&C 95:17:

"And let the higher part of the inner court be dedicated unto me for the school of mine apostles, saith Son Ahman; or, in other words, Alphus; or, in other words, Omegus; even Jesus Christ your Lord. Amen."

That one verse debunks Joseph Smith entirely in my opinion. Not only ought should "Jesus" have said "Alpha and Omega," those two letters of the Greek alphabet are opposites, not synonyms. The usage is an inept attempt to sound grandiose that completely misses standard Christian usage, even if he'd used the correct Greek.

The idea of combining the English "Son" with the supposed Adamic "Ahman" is also just absurd.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:47 pm
Hi everyone. This is my first post here although I have emailed w/Shades a bit on some technical matters earlier.

I figured that a recent essay I published might be of interest on the topic of how the continually shrinking truth claims of Mormonism and the deconstructionist rhetoric often employed by Mopologists have perfectly presaged the current era of politicians talking about "alternative facts" and claiming to be truth-tellers while also engaging in habitual lying.

Hopefully the system here will let me post a link. I'll put it into the next post just in case.
I don't know how well you remember me, but I sure remember "Alf O'Mega" from the Honest Intellectual Inquiry board we both used to frequent. I'm delighted to hear from you again and see that you appear to be alive and still kicking. I spend almost all my time at this site on the Spirit Paradise Forum, where Jersey Girl kindly gave me a heads up to your appearance here. I love your FLUX blog! I intend to become a frequent visitor.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I'm pretty sure the name similarity is a coincidence.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:31 am
I hope not. Then I just put my foot in my big Jersey mouth. :oops:

Well it wouldn't be the first time.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:57 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:33 am

Amen.
:D I suppose it was wrong of me not to remark on my user name.

It's a reference to D&C 95:17:

"And let the higher part of the inner court be dedicated unto me for the school of mine apostles, saith Son Ahman; or, in other words, Alphus; or, in other words, Omegus; even Jesus Christ your Lord. Amen."

That one verse debunks Joseph Smith entirely in my opinion. Not only ought should "Jesus" have said "Alpha and Omega," those two letters of the Greek alphabet are opposites, not synonyms. The usage is an inept attempt to sound grandiose that completely misses standard Christian usage, even if he'd used the correct Greek.

The idea of combining the English "Son" with the supposed Adamic "Ahman" is also just absurd.
I apologize if I misidentified you! :oops: Your blog is fantastic, thank you for sharing it. Welcome Alphus and Omegus! I do stand by my original comments though. We do need saving. :lol:

Slava Ukraini!
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:37 am
Gadianton wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:31 am
I hope not. Then I just put my foot in my big Jersey mouth. :oops:

Well it wouldn't be the first time.
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm afraid this is a case of mistaken identity. I have to admire their taste in user names though!