Problematic John Dehlin, a short list

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Problematic John Dehlin, a short list

Post by Kishkumen »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:00 pm
Thanks to you and Kish for proving my point.
Oh, wonderful. When he sees he has no credibility (big surprise), he engages in gaslighting.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:10 pm
jpatterson wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:00 pm
Thanks to you and Kish for proving my point.
Oh, wonderful. When he sees he has no credibility (big surprise), he engages in gaslighting.
I see, you're one of those people who mis-uses words like gaslighting. I'd recommend this article, which includes the following quote from Robin Stern, PhD, cofounder of the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence:

“Gaslighting is often used in an accusatory way when somebody may just be insistent on something, or somebody may be trying to influence you. That’s not what gaslighting is.” —Robin Stern, PhD
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:44 pm
I see, you're one of those people who mis-uses words like gaslighting. I'd recommend
Why don’t you read it first and demonstrate that you understood it?

You must be one of those people who hands out reading assignments when he has no argument.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:44 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:10 pm

I see, you're one of those people who mis-uses words like gaslighting.
You really need to stop mansplaining.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Can anyone remember the salary disputes between Topo Gigo and whether she should get top billing over Ed Sullivan? I think the resolution of those disputes has some relevance as to the salary discrepancy at Open Stories Foundation. Was Ed Sullivan the actual star of the Ed Sullivan show? Was Sullivan overly intimate in poking the stomach of the mentally unstable puppet with his finger? Questions remain to this very day, and religious adherents who have thrown their lot in with Topo are the ones doing the questioning.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

I have worked for ad/design agencies. While it’s possible John (or the designer) saw the original Thrive logo, it is a really common text treatment to drop the line in the R and to do a stylized E. They may think they are super unique and be able to get John to change his, but they would probably spend more money than they could ever recover by pursuing it, even if John Dehlin says “nah, we like it and are going to keep it.”

Trademark law can be tricky, you can only trademark a generic word for specific use. I am on my phone but a quick search of the trademark database and I can see dozens of Thrive trademarks, one was for music, one for pesticide. So someone can’t make a competing music thing called Thrive. The financial thing or whatever it was is going to have a hard time going after something to do with religion.I suppose John Dehlin should have invented a word and told his followers it means honeybee or something.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

John Dehlin is to James Patterson as Roadrunner is to Wile E. Coyote.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Dwight wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:52 pm
I suppose John Dehlin should have invented a word and told his followers it means honeybee or something.
*giggle-snort*
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Dwight wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:52 pm
I have worked for ad/design agencies. While it’s possible John (or the designer) saw the original Thrive logo, it is a really common text treatment to drop the line in the R and to do a stylized E.
As someone who has worked in branding for almost 20 years, it may be a common text treatment to do those things to those letters, it is not common practice to magically come up with the exact same logo, only with a few very very minor differences, out of the blue. If that is a custom-designed logo and not from some template somewhere (which is possible), there is no question that John or someone working for John pilfered it. They're simply too similar.

The standard for logo confusion is if a common person would see the two logos and think they were the same thing. On that, there's almost no question the two logos look almost identical. You have to actually stop and examine the two to discover the differences.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:31 pm
John Dehlin is to James Patterson as Roadrunner is to Wile E. Coyote.
consiglieri is to John Dehlin as Morty Tashman is to Mr Sneak

How much does John pay you for appearance fees by the way? I know he's paid Natasha a pretty penny to cover his behind over the years. So much backscratching going on in the exmo world.