Problematic John Dehlin, a short list

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
consiglieri
Prophet

Re: Problematic John Dehlin, a short list

Post by consiglieri »

Can you conceive that I see good things about John Dehlin to which you may be blinded?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

jpatterson wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:24 pm
How much does John pay you for appearance fees by the way? I know he's paid Natasha a pretty penny to cover his behind over the years. So much backscratching going on in the exmo world.
I read stuff like this and I think to myself: "Why doesn't this guy get a life?"
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

jpatterson wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:21 pm
Dwight wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:52 pm
I have worked for ad/design agencies. While it’s possible John (or the designer) saw the original Thrive logo, it is a really common text treatment to drop the line in the R and to do a stylized E.
As someone who has worked in branding for almost 20 years, it may be a common text treatment to do those things to those letters, it is not common practice to magically come up with the exact same logo, only with a few very very minor differences, out of the blue. If that is a custom-designed logo and not from some template somewhere (which is possible), there is no question that John or someone working for John pilfered it. They're simply too similar.

The standard for logo confusion is if a common person would see the two logos and think they were the same thing. On that, there's almost no question the two logos look almost identical. You have to actually stop and examine the two to discover the differences.
John Dehlin's deviance knows no bounds. What's next, eating children?
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:48 pm
jpatterson wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:37 pm

No, my question was why set up Thrive as both a non-profit and an LLC at the same time? And what assurance do donors have that their money is being funneled through the non-profit and not the for-profit? The website says Thrive is fully transparent in its finances, yet you can't find any finances anywhere.
It's not uncommon for someone to use a name as a DBA, then decide to make a new organization named after the original dba. It doesn't appear that anything is being done with the LLC. The IRS is almost a year behind in processing non-priofit paperwork. But of course, since it's Dehlin, it must be suspicious, amirite?
There can be a Thrive Inc that applies to be and NFP. There can be a Thrive LLS or a Thrive DBA. Legally the names are different so there is not a problem. Anytime an entity is set up the attorney has to do a name search to make sure the name is available. J Patterson wants to read nefarious behavior into anything Dehlin is involved in because he seems obsessed with the man. But there is nothing untowards here.
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

jpatterson wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:56 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:45 pm

So you had this information when you made your claim about Thrive not being a nonprofit?
No, I did not. I searched the database and didn't find a non-profit under the name of Thrive. Obviously I must have done the search incorrectly or misinterpreted the results.

Two Thrive organizations now exist, according to UDOC. One is a non-profit registered to Clint. One is a DBA owned by Center for Religious and Secular Progress, owned by John.
It's not uncommon for someone to use a name as a DBA, then decide to make a new organization named after the original dba. It doesn't appear that anything is being done with the LLC.
That's good information, thank you. If that was the case, though, why wouldn't the original DBA be shut down?
The DBA does not have to be shut down. It is a different legal entity than the NFP Corp.
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:31 pm
John Dehlin is to James Patterson as Roadrunner is to Wile E. Coyote.
Bwaahaaahaha! :D
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:50 pm
jpatterson wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:21 pm

As someone who has worked in branding for almost 20 years, it may be a common text treatment to do those things to those letters, it is not common practice to magically come up with the exact same logo, only with a few very very minor differences, out of the blue. If that is a custom-designed logo and not from some template somewhere (which is possible), there is no question that John or someone working for John pilfered it. They're simply too similar.

The standard for logo confusion is if a common person would see the two logos and think they were the same thing. On that, there's almost no question the two logos look almost identical. You have to actually stop and examine the two to discover the differences.
John Dehlin's deviance knows no bounds. What's next, eating children?
Now wait a sec, lets not start any vicious gossip... was he using barbeque sauce or hot sauce? This is vital to know....
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:07 pm
Can you conceive that I see good things about John Dehlin to which you may be blinded?
So that's in the thousands or tens of thousands? John Larsen, for example, is getting paid $1K per podcast appearance. What's your going Dehlin rate?
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:17 pm
jpatterson wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:24 pm
How much does John pay you for appearance fees by the way? I know he's paid Natasha a pretty penny to cover his behind over the years. So much backscratching going on in the exmo world.
I read stuff like this and I think to myself: "Why doesn't this guy get a life?"
It will never stop being entertaining that a board full of apologist obsessed nit pickers think the outside world wouldn't think they need to get a life.

Physician, heal thyself.
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

jpatterson wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:02 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:17 pm

It will never stop being entertaining that a board full of apologist obsessed nit pickers think the outside world wouldn't think they need to get a life.

Physician, heal thyself.
I don't post here much so your attempt at deflection rings hollow to me. I pointed out a number of flaws in your rants about the Thrive Inc, Thrive DBA under and LLC that Dehlin has. There is nothing uncommon about such things at all. Dude, you are obsessed. You try to see malfeasance and corruption in anything Dehlin does. Even when its clear to rational minds that there is none. What did Dehlin do to you to earn such spite and hatred?