Problematic John Dehlin, a short list

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Re: Problematic John Dehlin, a short list

Post by jpatterson »

Jason Bourne wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:22 am
jpatterson wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:02 am

It will never stop being entertaining that a board full of apologist obsessed nit pickers think the outside world wouldn't think they need to get a life.

Physician, heal thyself.
I don't post here much so your attempt at deflection rings hollow to me. I pointed out a number of flaws in your rants about the Thrive Inc, Thrive DBA under and LLC that Dehlin has. There is nothing uncommon about such things at all. Dude, you are obsessed. You try to see malfeasance and corruption in anything Dehlin does. Even when its clear to rational minds that there is none. What did Dehlin do to you to earn such spite and hatred?
I acknowledged those flaws but you, of course, want to throw the baby out with that bath water, as if one bad records search negates every point brought up about John. That's just lazy.

At this point you spend so much time telling me the same tired things over and over that I'm starting to get the feeling you're obsessed with me.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

jpatterson wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:09 am
Jason Bourne wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:22 am

I don't post here much so your attempt at deflection rings hollow to me. I pointed out a number of flaws in your rants about the Thrive Inc, Thrive DBA under and LLC that Dehlin has. There is nothing uncommon about such things at all. Dude, you are obsessed. You try to see malfeasance and corruption in anything Dehlin does. Even when its clear to rational minds that there is none. What did Dehlin do to you to earn such spite and hatred?
I acknowledged those flaws but you, of course, want to throw the baby out with that bath water, as if one bad records search negates every point brought up in

At this point you spend so much time telling me the same tired things over and over that I'm starting to get the feeling you're obsessed with me.
We’ve demolished Rosebud’s claims, we’ve negated this new tax claim in the space of a few minutes. You’re left with a possible trademark infringement claim.

Keep in mind Rosebud was saying Dehlin was a potential pedophile earlier when she thought she could get away with it. You keep coming back here and being surprised when we don’t bite.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

jpatterson wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:21 pm
As someone who has worked in branding for almost 20 years, it may be a common text treatment to do those things to those letters, it is not common practice to magically come up with the exact same logo, only with a few very very minor differences, out of the blue. If that is a custom-designed logo and not from some template somewhere (which is possible), there is no question that John or someone working for John pilfered it. They're simply too similar.

The standard for logo confusion is if a common person would see the two logos and think they were the same thing. On that, there's almost no question the two logos look almost identical. You have to actually stop and examine the two to discover the differences.
We are left with a possible trademark infringement, but let me blow that up.

JP here defers to my potential expertise, sort of. It really isn't that surprising to me that the two logos are so similar, though I have seen so many variations and workshopping of logos that I am definitely not the layperson. He does correctly know the standard that can be applied to logos (though with word marks again it can get less clear, and when there are distinct differences they can be enough). I searched the trademark database now on my computer and it seems Thrive the financial entrepreneur event looks to be on the same level as Thrive the religious related thing. They have no trademark on Thrive for financial related things, they have not sought protection for their logotype. So they legally have no legs to stand on. Their only hope would be to sue and in discovery find that the designer of Thrive religious thing definitely had Thrive financial thing's logo on their hard disk, or in an email or something that was like "hey this is what I am thinking, but we should just make enough changes to make it unique."
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

jpatterson wrote:
It will never stop being entertaining that a board full of apologist obsessed nit pickers think the outside world wouldn't think they need to get a life.

Physician, heal thyself.
You only say that because you are too busy obsessing about John Dehlin to read the board. This place, to you, is just your occasional dumping ground.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

jpatterson wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:24 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:31 pm
John Dehlin is to James Patterson as Roadrunner is to Wile E. Coyote.
consiglieri is to John Dehlin as Morty Tashman is to Mr Sneak.
No way. Consiglieri is the painted mountain tunnel for Patterson's Wile E. Coyote.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:34 am
jpatterson wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:24 pm

consiglieri is to John Dehlin as Morty Tashman is to Mr Sneak.
No way. Consiglieri is the painted mountain tunnel for Patterson's Wile E. Coyote.
At some point I'll be challenging consig to a live debate about the Rosebud incident and demonstrating how his episode was an absolute farce, Natasha lied her way through it and John made him his patsy and consig took it hook line and sinker.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

jpatterson wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:15 pm
At some point I'll be challenging consig to a live debate about the Rosebud incident and demonstrating how his episode was an absolute farce, Natasha lied her way through it and John made him his patsy and consig took it hook line and sinker.
Isn't it sufficient that this farce gets forum attention at Discuss Mormonism?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Tator
CTR B

Post by Tator »

jpatterson wrote:

Physician, heal thyself.
You are such a butt-hurt hypocrite.

You still won't answer my simple question, why don't you and all your talented butt-hurt friends start your own show and run Johnny out of business?

JP is it:
nit picker
nit-picker
or
nitpicker?

John Dehlin lives in your head, I bet it's cramped in there.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tator wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:49 pm
You still won't answer my simple question, why don't you and all your talented butt-hurt friends start your own show and run Johnny out of business?
Funny you say that. I was just on the phone with consiglieri saying exactly the same thing.

Let's the see jpatterson's Dehlin Obsession Podcast! What will it be called?

Tainted Love?
Boil My Bunny?
Rosebud's Lament?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Tavares Standfield
Sunbeam

Post by Tavares Standfield »

I've said it before, and I will say it again:

John Dehlin is the best ex-Mormonism has to offer. He is eloquent, well-read, and an expert in Mormon doctrine and history. Indeed, this very board would not exist were it not for the efforts to establish ex-Mormons as legitimate participants in the larger coversation.

God bless John Dehlin and God bless Mormon stories.