Problematic John Dehlin, a short list

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Problematic John Dehlin, a short list

Post by Kishkumen »

Tavares Standfield wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:14 am
Indeed, this very board would not exist were it not for the efforts to establish ex-Mormons as legitimate participants in the larger co[n]versation.
Um, no. This board existed independent of John Dehlin, and it would continue to exist without John Dehlin.

John Dehlin certainly deserves kudos for his accomplishments, which are not insignificant, but this board is here because of Dr. Shades and the many people who have contributed to it in various ways. John Dehlin has contributed a few posts to it here and there, but it would be just fine without him.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

jpatterson wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:09 am
Jason Bourne wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:22 am

I don't post here much so your attempt at deflection rings hollow to me. I pointed out a number of flaws in your rants about the Thrive Inc, Thrive DBA under and LLC that Dehlin has. There is nothing uncommon about such things at all. Dude, you are obsessed. You try to see malfeasance and corruption in anything Dehlin does. Even when its clear to rational minds that there is none. What did Dehlin do to you to earn such spite and hatred?
I acknowledged those flaws but you, of course, want to throw the baby out with that bath water, as if one bad records search negates every point brought up about John. That's just lazy.

At this point you spend so much time telling me the same tired things over and over that I'm starting to get the feeling you're obsessed with me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

jpatterson wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:15 pm
Moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:34 am

No way. Consiglieri is the painted mountain tunnel for Patterson's Wile E. Coyote.
At some point I'll be challenging consig to a live debate about the Rosebud incident and demonstrating how his episode was an absolute farce, Natasha lied her way through it and John made him his patsy and consig took it hook line and sinker.
I hope he takes you up on it. ;) :roll:
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Indeed, this very board would not exist were it not for the efforts to establish ex-Mormons as legitimate participants in the larger coversation.
Wrong. This very board would not exist if FAIR hadn't permanently banned me.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:21 am
This very board would not exist if FAIR hadn't permanently banned me.
A great number of the current MD&D posters would be banned at the old FAIR board since they brooked no truth. Greater light and knowledge have been allowed into the Mormon sphere since the arrival of the LDS essays. Young apologists no longer have to worry about forging such ponderous chains in the afterlife, unless they are seeking employment with the More Good Foundation.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

John Dehlin is the best ex-Mormonism has to offer. He is eloquent, well-read, and an expert in Mormon doctrine and history.
Umm....crap! if this is true, we're all in trouble.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:06 pm
John Dehlin is the best ex-Mormonism has to offer. He is eloquent, well-read, and an expert in Mormon doctrine and history.
My daughter and I were watching YouTube tonight and some dude's channel randomly popped up. He announced that his guest was a TikToker and she was the foremost ex-Mormon. Her name was Lexi. So, John Dehlin can be let off the hook on this point. Jpatterson would do well to train his sights on this Lexi. I'm guessing that she has not accepted any Rosebud bid to take over the TikTok world.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:54 am
dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:06 pm

My daughter and I were watching YouTube tonight and some dude's channel randomly popped up. He announced that his guest was a TikToker and she was the foremost ex-Mormon. Her name was Lexi. So, John Dehlin can be let off the hook on this point. Jpatterson would do well to train his sights on this Lexi. I'm guessing that she has not accepted any Rosebud bid to take over the TikTok world.
Yes. I've heard of ex-mo Lex...but haven't seen anything from her. She may be taking over?

To clarify so I don't get confused with Jpatterson:

"He is eloquent, well-read, and an expert in Mormon doctrine and history."

Of those three I would say Dehlin is most definitely not an expert in Mormon doctrine and history. I can agree he's at least fairly eloquent and he's well-read at least on pscyhology issues (I'd hope). But expert on Mormon doctrine and history? nah...not even close.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Tavares Standfield
Sunbeam

Post by Tavares Standfield »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:48 pm
Um, no. This board existed independent of John Dehlin, and it would continue to exist without John Dehlin.
Dear Reverend -- what I mean to say, of course, is that John Dehlin established both the epistemological and pedagogical framework through which Mormon Discussions -- *discussions* -- can occur.

John provided the Mormon world with the first serious critical view of Mormonism that didn't involve bold and CAPITALIZED text.
John Dehlin certainly deserves kudos for his accomplishments, which are not insignificant, but this board is here because of Dr. Shades and the many people who have contributed to it in various ways. John Dehlin has contributed a few posts to it here and there, but it would be just fine without him.
Potato, potato, as they say.

Again, this is more about the intellectual culture around ex-Mormonism that Dehlin developed and promoted.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:50 am
John provided the Mormon world with the first serious critical view of Mormonism that didn't involve bold and CAPITALIZED text.
Do you mean like writing with crayons? It must be understood that prior to the coming of John Dehlin there were both the aviation advances at Kitty Hawk North Carolina, and the field outside of Provo called FARMS. The daring young men in their flying machines did not use crayons, so the pre-Dehlin world got that from FARMS. Hey, you go with what you know.