Problematic John Dehlin, a short list

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Problematic John Dehlin, a short list

Post by huckelberry »

Tavares Standfield wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:50 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:48 pm
Um, no. This board existed independent of John Dehlin, and it would continue to exist without John Dehlin.
Dear Reverend -- what I mean to say, of course, is that John Dehlin established both the epistemological and pedagogical framework through which Mormon Discussions -- *discussions* -- can occur.

John provided the Mormon world with the first serious critical view of Mormonism that didn't involve bold and CAPITALIZED text.
John Dehlin certainly deserves kudos for his accomplishments, which are not insignificant, but this board is here because of Dr. Shades and the many people who have contributed to it in various ways. John Dehlin has contributed a few posts to it here and there, but it would be just fine without him.
Potato, potato, as they say.

Again, this is more about the intellectual culture around ex-Mormonism that Dehlin developed and promoted.
Mr standfield your image of John Dehlin is overblown to the point of absurdity. Perhaps when you think of intellectual culture around exmormonism you are thinking of some tiny subgroup of the category of people who are ex Mormons.

I have not followed mr Dehlin. I sat through most of an interview with Bart Ehrman by John Dehlin. It was ok sort of. Ehrman is more entertaining presenting himself.

////
I rather read Fawn Brodie or Sterling McMurrin.But I have no interest in being part of an exmomom community. My best exmomon friend has died and others have been out of touch for a long time.

////
I decided to check when Mormon stories started and found that the message boards this board derived from predate Mormon stories by a number of years. If there is a dependence. Dehlin in riding upon what has happened on the message boards.(Utah lighthouse begat Zion lighthouse which begat this board, at least partially. There were some others as well)
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Re: Problematic John Dehlin, a short list

Post by bill4long »

Dehlin is just a guy, who makes a product. He's not a child molester or a rapist or anthing close to it. He didn't rape that weirdo "Rosebud." She was an obvious climber who was an equal partner in whatever happened between them. The record is clear. If you like him, support him. If not, don't.

It really is that simple. But don't go pulling the morality card. TBMs who hate him are no better in general. For a lot of reasons. They support lies and the lying liars who lie at the top of lying Joe's church. In others words, GFY.

Hope that's no too harsh for the Terrestrial forum.

P.S. I don't know Dehlin personally. Never met him. Never communicated with him. Nor do I have a dog in the fight, so to speak. I'm not in love with John Dehlin in any way, fashion or form. I just can't stand whiny little _____ with drama agendas. Well, you can fill in the blank.

--Bill
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.