were Jesus apocolyptic projects fullfilled by the destruction of the temple.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

were Jesus apocolyptic projects fullfilled by the destruction of the temple.

Post by huckelberry »

This question is linked to a couple of previous discussions about Carrier and whether Jesus reported sayings go back to a real individual. I think the problematics of apocalyptic expectation Jesus sayings indicate an existing obligation to the thinking of a specific individual Jesus.Gospel writers could not simply disregard the phrases.

New Testament Wright views Jesus apocolypse as the replacement of the temple with a complete reboot of Gods covenant. In a way that holds to a conventional Christian reading except sort of sidelining the second coming idea.

I have an associated idea which is maybe a bit risky. I have no reputation to loose so can be a bit risky. In celestial. Philo started a thread looking at sacrifice examples as a start to understand Jesus atonement. Shulem ) waxed eloquent over the excess of Old Testament sacrifices. Constant blood and smoke becoming repulsive. Now I feel I have some sense of meaning for sacrifice. It is a very widespread observance but yes the Old Testament rules are excessive. I found myself thinking that only under a powerful king would all those animals to kill be practical. In fact I could not avoid thinking the amounts seem to express power of a king and perhaps inspire fear of that kingly power. It fits Josiah time and perhaps others with a need to express monarchic power. Rather like the time of Herod.

Jesus is wary of expressing difference with the law of Moses but he touches the edge of that sometimes. His attack on the money changers at the temple is what really gets him in trouble, along with comments he made about the temple being destroyed and replaced. What does he mean with this whip for the temple? I have heard some people suggest that the money changers were not honest. I think that is a very weak suggestion. The act which Jesus made , which cost him his life. suggests a deeper criticism of the temple than that there could be some dishonest attendants. I think Jesus is pointing to a deeper inadaquacey of the temple. Herod ( and perhaps predecessors)_expressing their power through the use of religious rites.