Ideological Fault Lines in (Post-)Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Mayan Elephant
CTR A

Re: Ideological Fault Lines in (Post-)Mormonism

Post by Mayan Elephant »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 6:24 pm

I’d like to point out that the only raving lunatic on this thread and the split-off thread has been, ME. “Elections are no longer credible.” :roll:

- Doc
Also from Doc
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:27 pm
I will make it my life's mission to crap all over you every time you post on this forum if you don't start acting your age.

- Doc

While, this may be a cross post, it is from the thread that was referenced by Doc. He needs this. I think we can all let him have it. I am cool with that.

I am acting my age by the way, but his evacuation is still happening.
"Everyone else here knows what I am talking about." - jpatterson, June 1, 2021, 11:46 ET
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Mayan Elephant wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:11 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 6:24 pm

I’d like to point out that the only raving lunatic on this thread and the split-off thread has been, ME. “Elections are no longer credible.” :roll:

- Doc
Also from Doc
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:27 pm
I will make it my life's mission to crap all over you every time you post on this forum if you don't start acting your age.

- Doc

While, this may be a cross post, it is from the thread that was referenced by Doc. He needs this. I think we can all let him have it. I am cool with that.

You’ve been an adversarial name-calling asshole the moment you showed up. I and others have interacted with you politely despite it, and then I gave you fair warning to knock it off after repeated insults. And you kept at it. You aren’t the victim here, buddy. If you’d like a reset and start posting with civility we can do that. Be advised, though. You start up with that BS again you’ve, and it’s back on.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Mayan Elephant
CTR A

Post by Mayan Elephant »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:19 pm

You’ve been an adversarial name-calling asshole the moment you showed up. I and others have interacted with you politely despite it, and then I gave you fair warning to knock it off after repeated insults. And you kept at it. You aren’t the victim here, buddy. If you’d like a reset and start posting with civility we can do that. Be advised, though. You start up with that B.S. again you’ve, and it’s back on.

- Doc
Definitely an asshole. Yes. But not adversarial. No.

Some have been polite, you have not. Not even close. And, I told you many times that is fine and why.

I am definitely not the victim. On that we agree. Not a victim at all. I agree on the asshole part and the victim part of your post. Yes.

I do not need a reset at all. I am doing just fine.

Really Doc Cam. You were always going to defend the hard fault line, at any price, no matter what. That was the whole point, right? It was about how awful the other side is and you cannot have that here. So, you crap on anything that represents the other side, and you are proud of that and will do it again. And, what is so bad about that? You seem to want that, and nobody but me seems to tell you no. So if I stay, it will be back on. I believe you. You are the enforcer, with our without reason.
"Everyone else here knows what I am talking about." - jpatterson, June 1, 2021, 11:46 ET
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What are you on about, ME? You’re the one talking about “the other side” and you’re the one that placed me as the Other. THAT is what the OP is talking about. If asking for proof is the exemplar as being part of an ideological divide, then guilty as charged. Whatever it is you think you’re demonstrating here you’re creating an unnecessary division, unless of course it has something to do with elections and women. <- interesting how you immediately back patted cinepro for his remarks that stigmatized an entire gender

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Mayan Elephant
CTR A

Post by Mayan Elephant »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:27 pm
Whatever it is you think you’re demonstrating here you’re creating an unnecessary division, unless of course it has something to do with elections and women. <- interesting how you immediately back patted cinepro for his remarks that stigmatized an entire gender

- Doc

I think you meant to say say something clever or insulting and instead you said something that, when interpreted into English, says that while I create unnecessary division, that is not the case when I am discussing elections and women. You follow that with something that appears to suggest that you arrived at your conclusion based on a "back pat" for a stigmatizing remark regarding an entire gender.

I take back what I said about you defending the ideology and holding the metaphorical fault line. I regret saying it. You may have thought you were doing that, but you are not. You just want to be a pain in the ass - and you are good at that. But this nonsense about division and stigmatizing women and stuff is just more of your imaginary stuff going on. You are really good at buzzy words though. You are a pain in the ass too, no doubt. When you type words, they sure do get on the page. You are good at that, too. Pat yourself on the back for that. However, try to avoid complicated sequences and logic for now, it is not working out at all.

Oh, Doc. Go f**** yourself again. I am not creating unnecessary division. You and gummy and infecto can stew all you want. I am different from you and others on this board. And I can live with that. You telling me I am the source of "division" is offensive to the board and the english language. I disagree with probably every person on this board, that is not a division. You need a division that is not there and you are determined to sh*t on someone to make it happen. You are pretending to be an asshole, but you are just a pain in the ass. Stop it.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Morley wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:39 am
CP Snow or not, the counterpart query to "Can you read?" would not be "Can you define acceleration?" It would be "Can you do math?"
What do you mean by, "do math?" No-one can do all of math. If you mean arithmetic, then no, arithmetic is not like reading. It's maybe like holding a pencil. Any child who can read will at least be able to sound out some words in any English text, and will understand at least the odd word or two. Without enough understanding of quantitative change to define acceleration, however, one will gain flat zero information from any mathematical statements in science, like a child who can only read English facing a page in Chinese.
Likewise, the counterpart to "Have you ever read a play by Shakespeare?" would not be "Explain the Second Law of Thermodynamics." It would be "Have you ever read about Newton and the theory of gravity?" If you're going to ask someone to explain the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the counterpart would be to ask them the meaning behind Marc Antony's soliloquy about Julius Caesar.
No, Snow was closer to right about this. It might at least be arguable that the difficulty of understanding the Second Law is comparable to the difficulty of appreciating Antony's deadly irony, rather than to the challenge of merely sounding out the words through a whole five-act play. To compare the Second Law to any one soliloquy out of Shakespeare's many is absurd, however, because the Second Law is not one law among many. Thermodynamics is the one subject which is fundamental to all natural science, and the Second Law is the one scientific law which must inevitably be on every shortlist for the most important law.

Shakespeare and the Second Law are to English-language culture and science what the Eiffel Tower is to Paris. You can't go to Paris without seeing the Tower, and not even just because it's de rigeur. It's dramatically visible from most of the city.
Math and science are as old as language. They're not alien to human nature, anymore than using fire is (science). ... If the social sciences are, as you suggest, more natural to learn, why did Galileo precede Freud?
This is like asking: if heavier-than-air flight is more unnatural to humans than running, why did the Wright brothers precede Usain Bolt? Progress happens in all fields, and in general there is no correspondence between advances in different fields.

One case in which one can compare advances in different fields, however, is in the case where one field has experienced a huge and radical night-and-day revolution to which nothing in the other field is comparable. Then the judgement can be made that there is no comparison. In natural science nothing before Newton matters at all. Nobody studies any of it as science today; it is history of science. The history of science is interesting, and of course the closer one looks at anything the further back its roots seem to go. The continuities between pre- and post-Newtonian science are footnotes, however, while the discontinuities are—and should be—the headlines.

Nothing like that kind of utterly radical change has happened in other disciplines, because the humanities and social sciences are so largely concerned with human nature which has not changed so much, if at all. The radical change that made science was the clumsy human adoption of conceptual tools which have nothing to do with human nature.
Math and science are not harder than the social sciences or humanities, except in the minds of scientists and mathematicians who are trying to explain how smart they are.
It has nothing to do with how smart people are or how hard the disciplines are. Wrestling and biathlon are both Olympic sports. One just needs more infrastructure.

I completely endorse Symmachus's interpretation:
Symmachus wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:29 pm
I would say that is more like the difference between learning to play the piano as compared to the violin. The piano is much easier to learn in the beginning because one only needs to press the finger against the keys to make a series of sounds on the scale, which is a motor action one does all of the time. Someone with no training can do that just by going one after the other and putting the fingers in the right place, though not as smoothly or with the control of someone with years of finger training. One cannot do that on a violin, however. Just to play a scale requires a certain amount of training. But when it comes to playing either well and at a high level, that initial difference does not matter at all.
Because of the need for mathematical and technological infrastructure, natural science is harder to do at all than the humanities are. It is by no means any harder to do science well. In fact I'm inclined to suspect that it's easier. Scientific discoveries made largely by luck are still counted as great science, for one thing, but I can't imagine how one could make a major contribution in any humanities discipline by sheer luck. Perhaps by stumbling on a vital historical document? Even then, I think the skill needed to recognise how important an old document was might be more than it takes to recognise some lucky scientific observations.

The unnaturalness of science works in our favour: a lot of clumsiness is excused because we're all too clumsy to notice it. We get points just for not breaking a string or playing wildly off key, so to speak. To put a good analogy to better use than the stupid misogynistic one it had originally, humans doing science are kind of like dogs walking on their hind legs:
Samuel Johnson wrote:It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Symmachus
Valiant A

Post by Symmachus »

Analytics wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 5:18 pm
That's an interesting perspective. I happen to live in Kansas, which is pretty far on the conservative end of the scale. For example, in 2005 the state board of education decided that evolution had been proven false and Intelligent Design would now be taught in high school biology classes. Or the 2012 "Kansas Experiment" where some Republican true-believers apparently sincerely thought that by giving massive tax cuts to rich, business owners would "shoot adrenaline" into the state economy, which would magically balance the budget.

Perhaps my liberal bias is best explained by an old Scott Adams observation--the stupidity surrounding you is easier to perceive than the stupidity in the distance. Maybe if I was on a college campus dominated by unchallenged liberals who thought America was fundamentally evil, then I would be oversensitive to liberal stupidity.
I share a lot of your frustration with Republican stupidity. The capture of the Republican party by this free-for-all libertarianism (on a generous interpretation) and the slash-and-burn approach to government isn't an alternative to what we see with the current Democratic party because it's animating spirit is primarily destructive rather than constructive.
Analytics wrote:
But isn't a fundamental part of this simply tribalism? People choose a side, and then their views across the board are molded into the views that are preached by that side. People didn't sit down and rationally decide they were in favor of obscene military spending, prayer in school, cheap energy (with a dirty environment), low taxes for the rich, and an inefficient healthcare system; they didn't then shop around and become Republicans. Rather, for psychological and sociological reasons they came to the conclusion that Republicans were the God-fearing true patriots, and conformed to what "their" side--the good side--was preaching. It isn't a coincidence that, for example, Sean Hannity begins his show with patriotic music, continuously compliments the patriotism of his guests, and is never seen without a flag pin--these are all deliberately engineered cues for his audience about his side's righteousness.
I wouldn't call it tribalism per se, at least not initially; this is just the coalition dynamics of electoral politics. I agree with most of this but the bolded parts need some commentary. What is rational depends on different factors. For example, it was and remains a rational choice for religious people or people who think that a traditional family life is best for society as a whole to choose the Republican party because these things are highly important to how they live their lives, how they view the world, and how they maintain their communities. For someone who believes that abortion is a form of murder, it is a value-based rational choice when one party openly celebrates abortion, particularly when those same people say that men can have abortions and call you a bigot for disagreeing or even failing to acknowledge that. But it is not an interest-based rationality as it turns out, though, because the Republican party doesn't actually care about these things between campaigns. And in the meantime, people who don't have a pre-existing allergy to higher tax rates or whatever have, over decades, moved to support positions that have nothing to do with their traditional beliefs and practices and are even hostile to them. It takes on a tribalist tinge, by necessity, because the other party is interested neither in adjusting its position to attract these voters nor in moderating its hostility to them. They have structural incentives for this.
Analytics wrote:
Given how that tribe has so annoyingly appropriated patriotism for their partisan purposes, it shouldn't be surprising that their antagonists knee-jerk against it.
I can see that to an extent, but I think this is not a function of partisan politics and reaction. The hostility to the United States is much deeper than that; it is a hostility to a lot more than just the United States, not a reaction to flag pins and "freedom fries."
Issenberg’s book, then, serves as a 900-page case study of what the sociologist Tina Fetner refers to as the “symbiotic” relationship between conservatives and queer activists. The religious right told us we couldn’t have marriage, so we decided we needed it.

If that’s the case, gay couples owe no organization more than the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In great detail, Issenberg demonstrates exactly how the Mormon Church constructed a secretive campaign in Hawaii, built an ecumenical alliance of anti-marriage churches and led the mammoth crusade in favor of Proposition 8, the California ballot proposal that added a gay marriage ban to the state Constitution in 2008. In that brawl, Mormons contributed half of the $40 million raised to support the measure. Later, after being accused of “money laundering” and concealing the sheer magnitude of their political activism, the Latter-day Saints paid a fine of just over $5,000 to California’s Fair Political Practices Commission.
(Emphasis added)
"Anti-marriage" churches? Yes, there's just opposed to marriage in general. Whatever. This as ideologically charged as anything in a conservative news-entertainment rag. Do you see how the framing works? Same-sex "marriage" is just taken as part of the ordinarily understood and widely practiced "marriage," which it is not for most people on this planet or even in this country. And as for the rest of this paragraph, the only criterion that people apply when it comes to church involvement in politics is whether they agree with the position a given church takes. This is completely self-serving, but it is farther down from the shifts I am talking about.

Let me use this to try to illustrate what I'm talking about, an example of a process: notice that, among the justifications made for polygamy by the Church in the 19th century, none of them were "love is love" or other such tautological jingoism. There's a reason for that: it wouldn't have made any sense. The idea that marriage should be the culmination of the romantic affection between a man and woman was a shift in the consumerist cultures of the European west starting in the early 20th century, but it is quite opposite to how marriage had been understood not only in western countries but still is in most cultures. It was a shift that privileged individual desires and emotions (temporary at that), just like a market transaction, and minimized the stabilizing good that marriage was supposed perform for society. The fumes of the old understanding were breathed in until the end of the 20th century, but by the time of the first genuinely post-Christian generation (the late millennials), it been nothing but an affirmation of individual desire: we privilege individual autonomy so greatly, that we have a special ceremony to mark when a person decides to cede just a little bit of it to some greater cause beyond themselves—at least until they decide to take it back in a few years. If that's what marriage, so there is no coherent reason it should be man-woman and not man-man or woman-woman.

One can agree that this is progress or not, and one can ask how far that understanding of marriage actually reflects the reality of family life and serves those needs, but this is basically the attitude that everyone has towards marriage—including the LDS church. So on what basis can they tell a gay couple that they can't also fulfill their desires? So you see the point is that a general social shift, seen as innocuous, has created a cultural split when led to one of its logical conclusions. Where does one draw the line once that shift has happened? Now, cultural conservatives, by buying into the premise that the maximization of individual autonomy should form the basis of social interaction could naturally ally themselves with libertarians on economics, premised on the same understanding of the individual in relation to the community. And what have they conserved all these years as a result? When I hear conservatives complain about "Critical Race Theory," I have to wonder what their alternative is. They see it as an attack on American culture but what is that culture? At the same time, I am amazed that liberals are fine with using state power to enforce their conception of the maximization of individual autonomy but not for conservatives but not in the economic sphere. Liberals really have no coherent response as to why this should not be so either.

One can go through this issue by issue, but if it all boils down to individual preference, de gustibus non est disputandum. "As long as you don't hurt anyone else..." is not a governing framework for an ordered society, because what constitutes "hurt" will depend inversely on one's individual preference. This is why liberals increasingly are comfortable using institutional power to enforce preferred pronoun usage (in the 3rd person, so when the subject isn't even around). There is no shared conception across of what the good is across the whole, only within demographic and sub-cultural silos. All of this is item A.

Add this to the structural changes to politics, which is item B. You mention the fact that a representative can't introduce legislation without the endorsement of party leaders. That is not exactly true; they can write whatever legislation they want and market it to the public and their colleagues. Whether it comes up for a vote is different, though, and you are right here. But the structural shift was the movement away from the committee system (which by nature are bipartisan) and towards the centralization of power in the Speaker's office and Majority leader in the Senate. Republicans started that with Gingrich, but Democrats held power from 2007-2011 and now from 2019 to today—show me the steps they have taken to decentralize power. They didn't make the rules; they just enjoy them.

This has a further consequence: candidates who are interested in problem-solving are discouraged from running at all because of this fact, and a significant portion of new house members (and even in the senate) instead use these institutions to build their own celebrity careers. Jason Chafetz is an excellent example, but Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the champion brand-builder. The boundary, indeed, between entertainment and politics continue to blur. The party leaders you think are so powerful are actually beholden to media narratives; during the Trump presidency, the most powerful person in the world was whoever controlled the teleprompter at Fox and Friends, and more than once we have already seen the Biden administration shift course because of a bad day on Twitter instigated by journalists. Consider the issue of the supposedly undemocratic nature of the senate and filibuster: this is an issue entirely driven by the agenda of journalists. Hardly any voter could tell you much about the filibuster, and few would know that the word "cloture" is not Mitch McConnell's Kentucky pronunciation of the word "culture." Yet Joe Manchin is daily asked by journalists about this, something no voter in West Virginia knows or cares about. One could find other issues that are driven by journalists and media organizations.

One can find many of instances of political operatives moving into the media sphere (George Stephanopoulos being the most successful, but there have been many before him, like Jack Valenti, Diane Sawyer, and so on). How can anybody see him as impartial moderator in these debates? But then there are small time attempts to break into media: retired military and national security types becoming "commentators" on Fox and CNN and elsewhere. One hardly needs to mention the collusion in tech media that led to the suppression of the New York Post story and the removal of a former president from Twitter on grounds that it ignores in the case of, e.g. Khameini. It's not just an influence on politics but a blurring of the boundaries between media and politics. A former president but one has started his own media company now and joined the ranks of the ultra wealthy, and the preeminent example of all of this is of course Donald Trump, whose only real accomplishment was maintaining media stardom for having done nothing but being a convincing everyone that he was a media star. We may not have a state-run media in the US, but we don't need it, because we are a media-run state.

I don't know whether things are worse than when an elected president had to leave the White House to go to J. P. Morgan in his private train and ask for money on behalf of the American government. Surely they are not better. But it is not just that the scale of American power is so much greater now than it was then; these structural changes in government are such that the framework of traditional party politics—item B—might not be able to contain the conflict that is breaking out in item B. I'm sure that sociology has nothing to help here because sociology in the American context is completely politicized. This will be instantly obvious to a conservative who peruses the bios of your typical sociology department, especially the "public scholarship" that is all in vogue there. I don't now about game theory though. I know nothing about it, so I welcome your explanation of how that could explain these phenomena and predict where it is going. To me, the question is whether the political system and manage the metastasizing cultural conflict in a post-Christian USA.
(who/whom)

"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."
—B. Redd McConkie
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Great response, Physics guy. I'll try to address it.

Morley wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:39 am
CP Snow or not, the counterpart query to "Can you read?" would not be "Can you define acceleration?" It would be "Can you do math?"
Physics Guy wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:24 pm
What do you mean by, "do math?" No-one can do all of math. If you mean arithmetic, then no, arithmetic is not like reading. It's maybe like holding a pencil. Any child who can read will at least be able to sound out some words in any English text, and will understand at least the odd word or two. Without enough understanding of quantitative change to define acceleration, however, one will gain flat zero information from any mathematical statements in science, like a child who can only read English facing a page in Chinese.
Agreed. And I might ask, 'What do you mean by reading?' Reducing literacy to the reading that a child can do in sounding out words has the same problem. No one will ever write the perfect poem (or, as I used to argue, be able understand what the hell Faulkner is saying). Dismissing literacy by suggesting that most everyone can read is the same sin as shrugging off math as arithmetic. Don't you think?

Physics Guy wrote:
No, Snow was closer to right about this. It might at least be arguable that the difficulty of understanding the Second Law is comparable to the difficulty of appreciating Antony's deadly irony, rather than to the challenge of merely sounding out the words through a whole five-act play. To compare the Second Law to any one soliloquy out of Shakespeare's many is absurd, however, because the Second Law is not one law among many. Thermodynamics is the one subject which is fundamental to all natural science, and the Second Law is the one scientific law which must inevitably be on every shortlist for the most important law.

Shakespeare and the Second Law are to English-language culture and science what the Eiffel Tower is to Paris. You can't go to Paris without seeing the Tower, and not even just because it's de rigeur. It's dramatically visible from most of the city.
Ha. Comparing any law in physics to literacy about one poet in one language is absurd. I think the example you give by CP Snow is unappreciative of the complexity of the humanities.

You focus on the Second Law of Thermodynamics and Shakespeare because you're a Canadian physicist. An Iranian biologist would be talking about organic evolution and the Shahnameh. My guess is that both the Second Law and the Theory of Evolution are both more foundational and universal to science than having read Shakespeare sometime in your life is to all of literature and the humanities.

However, I think your analogy about the Eiffel Tower holds. The Eiffel Tower is significant to Paresians, but in much of Paris, you can't see it--it might as well not be there.

Morley wrote:Math and science are as old as language. They're not alien to human nature, anymore than using fire is (science). ... If the social sciences are, as you suggest, more natural to learn, why did Galileo precede Freud?
Physics Guy wrote:

This is like asking: if heavier-than-air flight is more unnatural to humans than running, why did the Wright brothers precede Usain Bolt? Progress happens in all fields, and in general there is no correspondence between advances in different fields.
There was running before Usain Bolt. Psychoanalysis didn't exist before Adler and Freud. My point was that, if disciplines in the social sciences are more natural than those in hard science, why were they so late in developing?

I'm not saying one thing is more unnatural than another. You are. My argument is that your assertion that science and math are unnatural to humans is mistaken. I don't believe that (to use your example) flying in an airplane or typing out a sonnet are unnatural for our species.
Physics Guy wrote:

One case in which one can compare advances in different fields, however, is in the case where one field has experienced a huge and radical night-and-day revolution to which nothing in the other field is comparable. Then the judgement can be made that there is no comparison. In natural science nothing before Newton matters at all. Nobody studies any of it as science today; it is history of science. The history of science is interesting, and of course the closer one looks at anything the further back its roots seem to go. The continuities between pre- and post-Newtonian science are footnotes, however, while the discontinuities are—and should be—the headlines.
Kind of like biology before Darwin or mathematics before Pythagoras.

Physics Guy wrote:

Nothing like that kind of utterly radical change has happened in other disciplines, because the humanities and social sciences are so largely concerned with human nature which has not changed so much, if at all. The radical change that made science was the clumsy human adoption of conceptual tools which have nothing to do with human nature.
Maybe I'm not getting this. Why do you say that human nature is opposed to the conceptual tools of science? Since humans existed for millions of years without writing, are we also opposed to the conceptual tools of literacy? Does this also apply to agriculture? Photography? Belly dancing?

Physics Guy wrote:

It has nothing to do with how smart people are or how hard the disciplines are. Wrestling and biathlon are both Olympic sports. One just needs more infrastructure.

I completely endorse Symmachus's interpretation:
Oh, I agree. That was the point I was awkwardly trying to make.

Physics Guy wrote:

Because of the need for mathematical and technological infrastructure, natural science is harder to do at all than the humanities are.
So you say. I'm not seeing where you demonstrate it.
Physics Guy wrote:

It is by no means any harder to do science well. In fact I'm inclined to suspect that it's easier. Scientific discoveries made largely by luck are still counted as great science, for one thing, but I can't imagine how one could make a major contribution in any humanities discipline by sheer luck. Perhaps by stumbling on a vital historical document? Even then, I think the skill needed to recognise how important an old document was might be more than it takes to recognise some lucky scientific observations.
Or it could be that science and math are neither harder nor easier to do than social science or the humanities. I don't think you've made your case that they are.

Stumbling upon greatness is not unique to science. Artists have done it throughout history. (Edit: You're going to ask for an example, so I'll say look at Jackson Pollock.)

Physics Guy wrote:

The unnaturalness of science works in our favour: a lot of clumsiness is excused because we're all too clumsy to notice it. We get points just for not breaking a string or playing wildly off key, so to speak. To put a good analogy to better use than the stupid misogynistic one it had originally, humans doing science are kind of like dogs walking on their hind legs:
You haven't noticed the clumsiness evident in the humanities?

Rather than viewing humans working with math being like dogs walking on their hind legs, maybe doing science and math are kind of like homo sapiens walking on their hind legs. Perhaps surprising, but in the end, it is something quite natural to our species.

Ramus_Stein wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 5:03 pm
ETA: Oh, Morley, I love your avatar. Kandinsky, right?
Excellent!

Edit for bad prose and to apologize if my tone is snippy and self-righteous. I respect you and enjoy your posts, PG.
Last edited by Morley on Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Ramus_Stein wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 5:03 pm
ETA: Oh, Morley, I love your avatar. Kandinsky, right?
Morley's posts are generally excellent, and even when he's responding to a topic I don't particularly care about I frequently look at them if only to see what cool avatar he's currently running with. (Sometimes they are so cool I forget myself and end a sentence with a preposition.)
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:19 pm
Mayan Elephant wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:11 pm

Also from Doc

You’ve been an adversarial name-calling asshole the moment you showed up. I and others have interacted with you politely despite it, and then I gave you fair warning to knock it off after repeated insults. And you kept at it. You aren’t the victim here, buddy. If you’d like a reset and start posting with civility we can do that. Be advised, though. You start up with that B.S. again you’ve, and it’s back on.

- Doc
Yer not holding yer own.