Challenge For Sledge

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Challenge For Sledge

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Sledge wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:30 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote: Sledge,

What do you make of a newspaper article being written in a locally accessible newspaper that contained the very information Joseph Smith used four days later with regard to his revelation?

- Doc
I think tensions at the time rumored of war, certainly. I think serious discussions about war being on the horizon were happening in some places. According to this, the Telegraph reported that president Jackson issued a proclamation that warned South Carolina that their rejection of federal tariffs could end in bloodshed.

The article says
Without ever mentioning President Jackson by name, the prophecy on war made the president’s conditional promises inevitable.
I think that's important to note. Joseph Smith issued a specific prediction that came to pass. Not all prophecies are specific, of course. This one was, and there is no doubt Joseph was interested in and influenced by the news at the time.
Well. Hold onto that thought with regard to specificity for a second. What do you make of the local newspaper publishing their article on the 21st, and then four days later Joseph Smith had his revelation?

Follow-on question. Why do you believe the revelation wasn’t included in the first couple of D&C publications?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Well. Hold onto that thought with regard to specificity for a second. What do you make of the local newspaper publishing their article on the 21st, and then four days later Joseph Smith had his revelation?
The article wasn't specific. Joseph's prophecy was.
Follow-on question. Why do you believe the revelation wasn’t included in the first couple of D&C publications?

- Doc
I don't know. It was circulated elsewhere, though, so it wasn't hidden.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Sledge wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:36 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
The article wasn't specific. Joseph's prophecy was.

- Doc
I don't know. It was circulated elsewhere, though, so it wasn't hidden.
I’ll try this once again. What do you make of the local newspaper publishing their article on the 21st, and then four days later Joseph Smith had his revelation?

My guess is Joseph Smith Jr. thought the nullification crisis was going to kick off the civil war. SC was basically in open rebellion, so it’s not odd that there was a crisis, and Joseph Smith would predict the CW was goingto kick off there. Additionally, CW didn’t kick off until 29 years later, so the question was rather open-ended. Anyway. His ‘prophecy’ was not published until 1851, in Great Britain, for whatever reason, and wasn’t until 1870-something when it was added to the D&C as section 87.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

What about the second coming and end of the world prophecy?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace