Challenge For Sledge

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Challenge For Sledge

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I would like to keep this thread professional and free from personal attacks.

Sledge, please list some accurate prophecies made in the last 200 years by the Prophet and let’s discuss.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Sledge
Area Authority

Re: Challenge For Sledge

Post by Sledge »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:38 am
I would like to keep this thread professional and free from personal attacks.

Sledge, please list some accurate prophecies made in the last 200 years by the Prophet and let’s discuss.
I don't do personal attacks; I never have on this board.

The church essay entitled Prophecies of Joseph Smith sheds some light on this topic. It first lists the Civil War prophecy
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints | Prophecies of Joseph Smith wrote:On December 25, 1832, Joseph Smith received a revelation prophesying that a war between the northern and southern U.S. states would begin in South Carolina and that wars and uprisings throughout the earth would finally result in the “end of all Nations” at the time of the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. At the time the revelation was received, South Carolina and the federal government of the United States were involved in a dispute, but it was peacefully resolved the next March. Years later, Joseph reiterated his prophecy that war would break out in South Carolina over slavery debates, as it did nearly 20 years after Joseph Smith’s death.
And next, this
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints | Prophecies of Joseph Smith wrote:Joseph Smith also prophesied frequently concerning the future destiny of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its role in the last days. Perhaps the most beloved of these prophecies was contained in an 1842 letter addressed to Chicago newspaper editor John Wentworth. “No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing,” Joseph affirmed, despite the adversity the young Church had already faced. “Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done.”
After Joseph Smith, it's hard to find anything except a few little things here and there, like the Proclamations and the home-centered church. That's okay though, hundreds of years elapsed between prophecies in the Bible.

Those are probably good places to start. But I predict that I will be the only one defending these prophecies.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

I don't believe LDS Prophets prophesy at all anymore. Havent for a long time.

Didn't Holland recently make a prophecy/prediction about the number of FT missionaries that has come woefully short of coming true.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Stake President,

The BYUI convention hall is a sign of prophecy according to Henry J Eyring.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well. It’s an interesting coincidence that yonder up the road in Painesville, OH the Painesiville Telegraph printed a story from the New York Courier and Enquirer entitled “The Crisis.” The article spoke of the “probabilities of dismemberment” stemming from discontent in South Carolina and Georgia over states rights. Most notably the date of this article is Friday, December 21, 1832, four days before Joseph Smith received his Christmas “prophecy.”

It’s almost as if Joseph Smith followed a pattern of taking information from local sources that were available to him and, you know, coming up with inspiration and revelation.

That said, I wonder how many prophecies he got wrong now that we’re on the topic?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Can I play?

I prophesy this will be an epic thread. I'd say, right around 20 pages.

Sledge wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:03 am

That's okay though, hundreds of years elapsed between prophecies in the Bible.
Kinda un-handy for an 'end-times' themed church.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
That said, I wonder how many prophecies he got wrong now that we’re on the topic?

- Doc
That isn’t an interesting conversation at all. In fact it would be downright boring.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

What is the point of having a prophet, seer, and revelator on Earth if that individual couldn't foresee an event as huge and significant as COVID-19?

The church has made some feeble attempts at saying the LDS Prophet did know - he mysteriously cancelled some of his overseas trips in early 2020.

This brings up even more questions, why was cancelling his trips the most important thing for a prophet to do in preparation for COVID?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Sledge wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:42 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
That isn’t an interesting conversation at all. In fact it would be downright boring.
Ok. Address this then re: the civil war prophecy:

“Well. It’s an interesting coincidence that yonder up the road in Painesville, OH the Painesiville Telegraph printed a story from the New York Courier and Enquirer entitled “The Crisis.” The article spoke of the “probabilities of dismemberment” stemming from discontent in South Carolina and Georgia over states rights. Most notably the date of this article is Friday, December 21, 1832, four days before Joseph Smith received his Christmas “prophecy.””

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I checked the knowit all machine, google, and found that just like my understanding the term prophet has two meanings.
I found:
proph·et

a person regarded as an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God.
"the Old Testament prophet, Jeremiah"
h
Similar:
seer

soothsayer
forecaster of the future

oracler
(among Muslims) Muhammad.
singular proper noun: Prophet; noun: the Prophet
(among Mormons) Joseph Smith or one of his successors.
a person who advocates or speaks in a visionary way about a new belief, cause, or theory.
"a prophet of radical individualism"
a person who makes or claims to be able to make predictions.
"the anti-technology prophets of doom"
///////////////
I notice that a person could be a prophet and never on any occasion predict a future event.