The Mopologists Face a "Do Or Die" Moment as "Witnesses" Hits Theaters

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

The Mopologists Face a "Do Or Die" Moment as "Witnesses" Hits Theaters

Post by Doctor Scratch »

It would appear that the Mopologists have done nearly everything in their power to help ensure that their feature film, Witnesses, will be a success. The film has been promoted as being "based on a true story," (rather like the Oscar-nominated film Fargo, one imagines), and its importance to Mopologetics was such that Dr. Peterson essentially ignored his duties as President over the "Interpreter" journal-blog, openly admitting that he hadn't bothered to read at least one of the articles, while yet another was savaged publicly by David Bokovoy, forcing major revisions from the author and a public retraction by one of the Editors.

So, what will happen with "Witnesses"? It has been dubbed as the "The Family Movie Event of the Summer" at times (see below), which, frankly, seems like a bit of an exaggeration. (Is the movie suitable for young children? It's rated PG "for violence and thematic elements," the latter part of which sounds especially ominous.) And there have been moments where you could practically sense the desperation, with pleas for "SeN" readers to request that the film be shown in their area. This seemed to have worked to some degree--the movie will be playing in 40 states. But there were also signs that the film will face difficulties: to date, there have been zero reviews of the movie. There is nothing to be found on either IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes. But it's only a matter of time.

Meanwhile, Dr. Peterson posted this offer:
This announcement is important enough and fun enough and (in a sense) urgent enough
that I thought I should give it its own blog entry. And I'll give you the text from the image
above in slightly larger font:

Who do you study church history with? Bring your family or class or group of
friends to June 2nd Premiere showing of Witnesses Film and the popcorn is on us!
We need feedback on how Witnesses Film brings Come Follow Me to life! So gather
your friends, your class or your family and enjoy The Family Movie Event of the
Summer. ($25 concessions gift card for groups of 6+.) Message this page when
booking. Tickets at

https://www.megaplextheatres.com/film/HO00001567/true?
fbclid=IWAR23ynMdj_xYtto TuPSh5BWE8f30H001WM0575aG8bjtc15MjTliwobWFiW
#bearwitness (https://www.Facebook.com/hashtag/bearwitness)
Kind of a strange deal, no? For what it's worth, that $25 gift card--should you manage to wrangle up 5 or more of your friends in order to attend--won't net you all that much. A large popcorn will run you $7.50, though I assume that a party of 6+ would most likely spring for the "MegaDeal," which, as far as I can tell, nets you an enormous popcorn (perhaps with refills), plus a couple of gigantic sodas. Meanwhile, a whole Pickle is $2.41. Given its symbolic meaning in this case, I would urge attendees to opt for the Whole Pickle. There is just something about a lacto-fermented vegetable that helps to summon the spirit for a movie screening like this.

Dr. Peterson continues to express amazement that people are turning out for this debut, but of course, the big test will be the larger "first run." How much money was spent to distribute the film to 40 states, and will the producers recoup those expenditures? Perhaps more importantly, what will the reviews say? And if the film is a smashing success, what will the future hold for Mopologetics? This is a crucial time for the field, my friends. To quote the incomparable Samuel L. Jackson in Jurassic Park: "Hold on to your butts!"
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Dr Exiled
God

Re: The Mopologists Face a "Do Or Die" Moment as "Witnesses" Hits Theaters

Post by Dr Exiled »

I don't think I can hold it that long ..... says one of the main Witnesses demographic audience members.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

I haven’t seen any reviews this morning aside from a handful of positive reviews from audience members posted on Rotten Tomatoes. I will note that one of the co-executive producers recently commented: “Frankly, we're expecting mostly negative reviews.

The hardcore online critics will hate it, of course.

Some because they hate the Church, some because they hate me and all my works. If there are any, non-LDS reviewers won't be particularly sympathetic. And there are only a few believing LDS reviewers -- and, obviously, being LDS doesn't guarantee that you'll like any given LDS-focused film.”
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

An early independent review of the movie...
As is customary with movies that cover the history and doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the drama “Witnesses” will have different meaning and impact depending on whether the viewer is a believer in the faith.

For members, there’s nothing new in the movie’s overview of the church’s early history. They will nod with recognition at the steps of Joseph Smith’s journey — receiving the golden plates on which were written The Book of Mormon, working to translate the ancient language on those plates, and how he and his flock were persecuted across New York and the Midwest.

Non-members will likely get stuck on how director Mark Goodman shows details of that history that, from an outside perspective, seem a little ludicrous. One example: The part where Smith (played by Paul Wuthrich) is looking at a “seer stone” in his hat as he translates the golden plates.
https://moviecricket.net/blog/2021/6/2/ ... ll-details

The reviewer (Sean P. Means*) on Twitter headlines the link to his review with "An uneven telling that will appeal to the faithful."
https://Twitter.com/SeanPMeans/with_replies
Sean P. Means has been a reporter, editor and critic at The Salt Lake Tribune since 1991. For 25 years, from 1993 to 2018, he was that paper's full-time movie critic, writing thousands of reviews, interviewing the occasional celebrity, and covering the Sundance Film Festival.
https://moviecricket.net/about
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Let's take the other view and ask whether Witnesses might actually turn into a financial home run?

Look at the situation:

1) While most big budget film release dates remain out on the horizon, people are starting to go back to theaters and desperate for good films to see.

2) North America has, what, 2 million active Mormons? If 2/3 of those are age 8+, tickets monetize at $7 (after exhibitor cut), then we are talking about a $9-10 million revenue opportunity in the next 2 months.

If I was Dan Peterson, I would be doing anything and everything to make that happen. Would be a heroic, if not mythic, level Mopologetic enterprise. In a class all of its own. Like summiting Everest.

Even if Witnesses delivers only half or a quarter of that outcome, it would be an absolute grand slam.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

The reviewer (Sean P. Means*) on Twitter headlines the link to his review with "An uneven telling that will appeal to the faithful."
Wait. Wasn't this supposed to be a tell all totality of explanation from all sides, covering every issue, with no stone unturned, and a full disclosure?? It appears it has already failed to live up to its billing. If you can't make it so full disclosure as to shut the mouths of critics, then that is a fail isn't it?
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wait. Wasn't this supposed to be a tell all totality of explanation from all sides, covering every issue, with no stone unturned, and a full disclosure?? It appears it has already failed to live up to its billing. If you can't make it so full disclosure as to shut the mouths of critics, then that is a fail isn't it?
Anderson’s “Investigating the Book of Mormon Witnesses” is all that and more. Not even the greatest anti-Mormons who ever lived could dispute it.
Equality
CTR B

Post by Equality »

Sledge wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:29 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Anderson’s “Investigating the Book of Mormon Witnesses” is all that and more. Not even the greatest anti-Mormons who ever lived could dispute it.
Where can I access the definitive list of Greatest Anti-Mormons Who Ever Lived?
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Where can I access the definitive list of Greatest Anti-Mormons Who Ever Lived?

UTLM.org
Last edited by Sledge on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

The Facebook page for the film reports that "[m]ore than 1,000 people gathered for the nationwide premiere" and that "[d]ue to demand many theaters opened a day early." It quotes the following from Sean Means' review: "Dramatically compelling ... Spiritually inspirational."
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857