Stephen Smoot's LGTB Presentation At The Upcoming FAIR Conference

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Stephen Smoot's LGTB Presentation At The Upcoming FAIR Conference

Post by Dr Exiled »

I wonder how poor Smoot navigates his biology with the current position of the LDS. Perhaps his presentation will shed a little light on this? It has to be tough. One wonders how he stays, what he tells himself to justify putting himself through the constant shame from the ignorant.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:20 pm
I wonder how poor Smoot navigates his biology with the current position of the LDS. Perhaps his presentation will shed a little light on this? It has to be tough. One wonders how he stays, what he tells himself to justify putting himself through the constant shame from the ignorant.
Couldn't this comment be on par with John Dehlin's comments about Black folks and being Mormon? His comments were taken to be racist - can this not be taken to be a little bit, I dunno, condescending to LGBTQ+ types who choose to be Mormon?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:37 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:20 pm
Couldn't this comment be on par with John Dehlin's comments about Black folks and being Mormon? His comments were taken to be racist - can this not be taken to be a little bit, I dunno, condescending to LGBTQ+ types who choose to be Mormon?

- Doc
I guess anything can be offensive.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:20 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
Oof. Imagine if John Dehlin had responded with this.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:20 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
I think it is a legitimate question to ask why someone is a member of an organization known to have or had views, policies, or committed actions which are/were critical of that persons race, gender or sexual persuasion. How one asks the question is critical. For example, I am interested in how any member sees the church's priesthood ban on blacks, but the opinion of a black member would include perspectives that a non-black simply could not provide. Do we simply avoid asking such a person about his/her views simply because of their race?
Last edited by Fence Sitter on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Fence Sitter wrote:
I think it is a legitimate question to ask why someone is a member of an organization known to have or had views, policies, or committed actions which are/were critical of that persons race, gender or sexual persuasion. How one asks the question is critical. For example, I am interested in how any member sees the church's priesthood ban on blacks, but the opinion of a black member would be include perspectives that a non black simply could not provide. Do we simply avoid asking such a person about his/her views simply because of their race?
There's a difference between asking someone directly, in a conversation with that person, and speculating publicly about it on a message board.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Sledge wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:40 pm

There's a difference between asking someone directly, in a conversation with that person, and speculating publicly about it on a message board.
I agree but given that the person in question is using his own name to make a public presentation on the subject discussed, it would seem to be a topic he himself has made open to public discussion.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I think we need to be able to ask these sorts of questions and I don't see a problem with it. How does one stay with a group that continually goes against one's identity? I think we all wonder this. How does a non-member live in Utah County?