WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

Post by Jersey Girl »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:36 pm
This weekend's numbers will put the nail in the coffin if we're lucky.
What do you mean "if we're lucky"? Are you a competing film maker or something?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:41 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:36 pm
This weekend's numbers will put the nail in the coffin if we're lucky.
I don't try to hide the fact that I'll be happy as a clam to see Peterson's and The Interpreter's propaganda go down in flames.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:44 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:41 pm

I don't try to hide the fact that I'll be happy as a clam to see Peterson's and The Interpreter's propaganda go down in flames.
That's nice. Would you answer the questions I posed to you now?
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

drumdude wrote:
How many movies have you made? Were they successful?
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:41 pm
I think there's a delay in reporting. The Numbers has posted estimated box office figures for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Friday:

Gross: $35,000
Theaters: 84
Per Theater: $417
Total Gross: $286,159

Saturday:

Gross: $40,000
Per Theater: $476
Total Gross: $326,159

Sunday:

Gross: $25,000
Per Theater: $298
Total Gross: $351,159

Comments: I have doubts about the accuracy of these numbers. It doesn't seem plausible, for example, that the Sunday gross was $25,000. The previous Sunday's gross was $6,924.
The Numbers website reports updated box office figures:

Friday

Gross: $35,596
Theaters: 90
Average: $396
Total: $286,755

Saturday

Gross: $40,106
Average: $446
Total: $326,861

Sunday

Gross: $4,306
Average: $48
Total: $331,167
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:58 pm
Here's a similar film in the genre - "Genesis: Paradise Lost (2017)," an evangelical screed against evolution that was released in heart-pounding 3D!

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl1057326593/

$1,575,000 53 days/7 weeks 419 theaters

It also has a very high audience rating, and zero reviews from any professional critics.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/genesis_paradise_lost

So measured against even this tiny benchmark, Witnesses(2021) fails spectacularly.
How does Witnesses fail compared to this movie about Genesis? 1.5 million over 7 weeks? That's 200,000 a week roughly. I wouldn't doubt if after 7 weeks Witnesses doesn't quite reach the 1.5 million, but it's far less theatres and far less religious adherents to Mormonism. But it could be after 7 weeks Witnesses might out-earn this Genesis movie. I'm guess DCP and company would see that as some level of a success, even if they had higher hopes.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

I don't think the movie was a failure, it reached a Mormon audience in a reasonable way. There was honestly no expectation it would do otherwise, despite what the Distribution company told Peterson. I feel like Peterson lost a considerable amount of control over this project, and has been struggling to maintain his position over it for some time.

First, the script seemed to have been suddenly re-written, as though someone else told him what it had to be, then he was unable to get the full polygamy and banking stories in even though he posted multiple times that it would be so, then the donations making up the financing suddenly seemed to be swept away into an LLC that he may or may not control, and in spite of his insistence it would be strictly historical the director said in an interview that it was of course only based on a true story and was dramatized (i.e. NOT historically accurate), then the distribution company tried to convince him to raise and/or spend another almost quarter of a million on publicity, a request based on very dubious assumptions regarding a world-wide opportunity. Under the circumstances, I think Peterson did the best he could.

One thing I have a hard time with is Peterson's statement that none of the "Principals" (his word) are taking any royalties on this movie, with all proceeds being channeled into future projects. I find that a little difficult to believe.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Maybe "Meet the Mormons (2014)" is a better benchmark

$6,047,363 - 448 days/64 weeks - 317 theaters

DCP said he expects that the movie will only stay in theaters a few weeks, as most titles do these days. The cinema landscape has changed a bit from 2014, or even 2017. COVID certainly could have played a large role in the poor showing.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Sledge wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:48 pm
How many movies have you made?

> be me

> be LA Rams fan

> talk crap about about NFC West roster moves

> AZ Cardinals fan spergs out, “hOw mANy pRoFesSiOnAL fRaNcHiSeS hAvE yOu rAn?!?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

That you?

Cute