WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Area Authority

Re: WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:56 pm
Last week, the executive producer announced that Witnesses "will commence screening for the first time at the Avon Theater [sic] up in Heber, Utah, later this week." Unfortunately, that wasn't accurate. I am informed that the Relief Society sister in Hideout made a special trip to the Avon last Friday, expecting to see Witnesses, and learned that the film wasn't showing. Needless to say, she was not happy.

However, I am pleased to announce that the film will be shown at the Ideal Theatre beginning on August 6. Be sure to stop at Corner Sweet Treats for homemade ice cream and candy before or after the show.
The executive producer has issued a correction of sorts:
I would like to remind you that the Interpreter Foundation’s dramatic film, Witnesses, which is slowly ending its theatrical run, will actually be opening in Heber, Utah, later this week. So, if you live in Heber or Midway or somewhere else in that vicinity and you haven’t yet seen Witnesses or you would like to see it again, this is a good chance for you. I understand now that it will be screened at the Ideal Theater [sic].
Well now. It’s a bit unusual (perhaps Orwellian) to issue a reminder of something you didn’t previously announce.

I do hope that after he saw my note here, the executive producer reached out to the Relief Society sister in Hideout to patch things up.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:19 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:00 pm
Especially if it ensures paid lunches and travel for staff and executives, which includes keeping the rewards points growing that can be used to offset costs of personal travel.
This is a great point, and raises a very serious moral question: in the Celestial scheme of things, which is the greater offense--outright priestcraft? Or finding "loopholes" in the rules so that one can engage in priestcraft in an "under the radar" sort of way?
One wonders when, if, a transparent financial accounting will be given...
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Latest numbers:

Aug. 2, 2021

Gross: $1,787
Theaters: 12
Avg. per theater: $149
Total: $817,658
Day: 60

Aug. 3, 2021

Gross: $2,195
Avg. per theater: $183
Total: $819,853
Day: 61

Aug. 4, 2021

Gross: $2,377
Avg. per theater: $198
Total: $822,230
Day: 62

Aug. 5, 2021

Gross: $1,765
Avg. per theater: $147
Total: $823,995
Day: 63

Aug. 6, 2021

Gross: $3,147
Theaters: 8
Avg. per theater: $393
Total: $827,142
Day: 64

Aug. 7, 2021

Gross: $2,321
Avg. per theater: $290
Total: $829,463
Day: 65

Aug. 8, 2021

Gross: $86
Avg. per theater: $11
Total: $829,549
Day: 66

Aug. 9, 2021

Gross: $2,869
Theaters: 9
Avg. per theater: $319
Total: $832,418
Day: 67
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Witnesses is a flop.

I know for a fact that I won't be seeing it. I have absolutely no interest in watching that kind of propaganda created by apologists who are trying to keep people in the church or gain new converts. I have no interest in seeing Witnesses and refuse to bother with it. From what little I've seen in the clips and the reviews, it totally turns me off.

No thanks to Witnesses. They can keep their witness. You'll all can go watch it as many times as you want. I don't care.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

An important update from one of the film's co-executive producers (I've highlighted a few details):
After a respectable theatrical run that began on 2 June, “Witnesses,” the Interpreter Foundation’s dramatic feature film, has been slowly winding down. (For a list of remaining theaters where “Witnesses” is still playing, see “Get Tickets,” at witnessesfilm.com, [sic]) Theaters are full right now with big studio films. It’s a very competitive time in cinemas, with more movies than screens. Which means, of course, that “Witnesses” is likely to finish its theatrical run very soon.

It will eventually come out on DVD and via streaming, but it’s a visually beautiful film that is quite striking on the big screen, [sic]

Of course, many people live in areas where “Witnesses” wasn’t shown, or where it was only shown in theaters that were very far away. With that in mind, Purdie Distribution has negotiated a last hurrah for “Witnesses” in four theaters near the campus of BYU during 2021 Education Week (which runs from Monday, 16 August, through Friday, 20 August). We know that many come from long distances to attend Education Week, and we wanted to give them a final opportunity to see “Witnesses” in a movie house:

Here are the four BYU-area theaters in which “Witnesses” will be screened during Education Week:

AMC Provo 12, at the Riverwoods Mall (4925 N. Edgewood Dr, Provo, UT) — Friday, 13 August, through Thursday, 19 August.
Megaplex, at its Geneva location in Orem/Vineyard (600 N. Mill Rd., Vineyard, UT)— Friday, 13 August, through Thursday, 19 August
Cinemark, at its University Mall location (1010 S 800 E, Orem, UT) — 7 PM daily, from Monday, 16 August, through Thursday, 19 August
Cinemark, at its Provo Towne Centre Mall location (1200 Towne Centre Blvd., Provo UT) — 7 PM daily, from Monday, 16 August, through Thursday, 19 August
A few comments. First, I would note the co-executive producer's comment that Witnesses had a "respectable theatrical run." As of Wednesday, Witnesses had grossed $835,657 over 69 days. (Its final budget has not been disclosed, but I would guess it's in the neighborhood of $1.4 million.)

Second, I would caution that the referenced "list of remaining theaters where 'Witnesses' is still playing," posted at witnessesfilm.com, is not completely accurate. For example, the website indicates that the Avon Theatre in Heber is playing the film. It's not. (As I've noted on this board, the Relief Society sister in Hideout learned that fact the hard way.)

Third, with regard to Interpreter films, I've been informed that one of Witnesses' co-executive producers recently demanded that Dr. Midgley spend hours in front of a film crew answering questions about his missions to New Zealand. Will the Interpreter Foundation put out a short film on Dr. Midgley as part of its film series, "Foundation Stones: Exemplary Individuals"? See https://interpreterfoundation.org/vid-n ... e-of-music. If so, perhaps M. Newton, G. Colvin, I. Barber, P. Lineham, S. Tanner, T. Alexander, D. Peterson, M. Roper, V. Burrinho, R. Joseph, some former classmates, some former students, and gemli will be interviewed as part of the film project.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

I regret to report that data for Witnesses since last Wednesday are not available on Box Office Mojo. (The Numbers' most recent report is for last Monday.) That is puzzling. Here are the film's most recently reported numbers:

Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2021

Daily gross: $2,075
Theaters: 10
Avg. per theater: $207
Total: $834,493
Day: 68

Wednesday, Aug. 11, 2021

Daily gross: $1,164
Avg. per theater: $116
Total: $835,657
Day: 69

I would guess that the film will be available in only a few theaters next week. See it while you can.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I'd rather see it when its on a free format, that way I don't contribute to their priestcraft... :D
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Philo Sofee,

If Cassius decides to hold a symposium on the film this fall, you should have the opportunity to take in a free screening very soon.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:55 pm
Philo Sofee,

If Cassius decides to hold a symposium on the film this fall, you should have the opportunity to take in a free screening very soon.
Please don’t. Do you know what kind of mess those things create for me and my staff? (The popcorn spills alone, oy vey!)
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

I'm pleased to report that the numbers from Witnesses are flowing once more.

From Box Office Mojo:

Thursday, Aug. 12, 2021

Gross: $884
Avg. per theater: $88
Total: $836,541
Day: 70

Friday, Aug. 13, 2021

Gross: $1,601
Theaters: 7
Avg. per theater: $228
Total: $838,142
Day: 71

Saturday, Aug. 14, 2021

Gross: $1,915
Avg. per theater: $273
Total: $840,057
Day: 72

Sunday, Aug.15, 2021

Gross: $137
Avg. per theater: $19
Total: $840,194
Day: 73

Monday, Aug. 16, 2021

Gross: $1,357
Theaters: 11
Avg. per theater: $123
Total: $841,551
Day: 74

Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2021

Gross: $2,101
Theaters: 11
Avg. per theater: $191
Total: $843,652
Day: 75