WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Sledge
Area Authority

WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

Post by Sledge »

Negative audience reviews for our favorite movie are rolling in! I’m sure everyone here is champing at the bit to see how this pans out.
Noel H wrote: *
Really bad script and the acting wasn't professional. This movie had a lot of money and potential. Wasted opportunity to tell an important story.
John P wrote: *
Not a very accurate portrayal. The villains all had Southern accents. Not a good movie.
For me, this makes me want to see the movie even more!
Sledge
Area Authority

Re: WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

Post by Sledge »

In all seriousness, screw Noel H and John P! I’ll bet nothing ever satisfies them. Could you imagine living with people like that?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well. Let’s check out Rotten Tomatoes:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/witnesses_2021

As of this posting the reviewers have it rated at 86%. Not too shabby. Let’s take a looksee:
Well acted and a fair depiction of what these men and women went through in the early days of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Definitely worth the investment of a person's time, whether a member of that church or not.
It showed the Witnesses in a light that many people have may not expect. They were men who went through a lot of trial and tribulation. I couldn't help but empathize with them and respect them.
I may be biased... but I found this film inspiring, deeply human, and beautiful
Really bad script and the acting wasn't professional. This movie had a lot of money and potential. Wasted opportunity to tell an important story.
Phenomenal movie that delivers a powerful look at the lives of the three Witnesses. A stellar job all around. Amazing performances, believable dialogue, emotional, entertaining, and inspiring. This is a must-see movie. Well Done.
Not a very accurate portrayal. The villains all had Southern accents. Not a good movie.
Great moving story about standing up for what one believes. Shows what it takes to have true integrity. Great movie to take the family to. Great message that never feels "preachy". Amazing what these people went through and how they remained steadfast in what they saw.
A very good movie about the life and trials of the 3 witnesses to the Book of Mormon.
Only movie where I've seen grown men cry. the music is a standout....all of it really...Well Done!
Excellent treatment of the story of the 3 witnesses, their real struggles with faith, and their unwavering convictions of what they saw.
All the positive reviews are 5 stars. The two negative reviews are a 1/2 star each. Interestingly enough most of the profiles only have this one review under their belts. Polarizing!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

This is one that will be difficult to judge based on the reviews. Reviews will often be gushing LDS reviews or hypercritical ex-Mo reviews. Blows any hope of a credible average?

Still eager to see it when I can rent it. If it is still in Utah theaters in July, I will try to catch it then.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

From RT, ChrisP, who reviewed three movies 9 hours ago - Trek: The Movie (2018), The Saratov Approach (2013), and Witnesses (2021) - saved his most effusive praise for Witnesses:
I really appreciated this movie. It provides a different perspective on the past events related to the origins of the Church of Jesus Chris of Latter-day Saints (Mormons). It looks through the eyes of the original three witnesses of the golden plates that later became the Book of Mormon. The movie shows how the three witnesses had many struggles but never denied their miraculous experiences working with Joseph Smith. The movie humanizes the witnesses, which have become two-dimensional over the passage of time, and the telling and retelling of their stories. I would recommend this for members of the church and people outside of the church. It provides an insightful perspective on U.S. history generally and specifically related to this church's background.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I'm going to wait and see. DCP, I hope the faithful come see the movie and you make your money back. I have my doubts but some hope remains.

Hopefully most put on their rose colored glasses when viewing this. Are they given at the theater Iike 3D glasses are?

Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

"I really liked how the aliens beamed up the artifacts and then the witnesses. It takes a courageous movie to show that aspect of upper New York State."
Now I really want to see this movie.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

It was a very passionate love story between Joseph and Emma and 34 other women that Emma had no knowledge about. Treasure digs, seer stones, a Caucasian Native American angel, and all kinds of tomfoolery and shenanigans. Two thumbs up!
I’m definitely going to watch this movie on Saturday. It sounds like it’s going to be a great spiritual experience.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I'm sitting alone in a theater for a 10 am showing of the Witnesses. I'm very excited but sad to see no one else has made this a priority.

Never had a theater showing all to myself. I feel like a prince.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

All caps?