WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Craig Paxton
Sunbeam

Re: WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

Post by Craig Paxton »

Let me see if I've got this right...it's one of those movies that uses a historical setting about people that actually lived to tell a fictional story involving these same historical figures. Kind of like Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer or how Raiders of the Lost Ark used a historical setting to tell a fictional story. How'd I do?
"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Craig Paxton wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:43 pm
Let me see if I've got this right...it's one of those movies that uses a historical setting about people that actually lived to tell a fictional story involving these same historical figures. Kind of like Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer or how Raiders of the Lost Ark used a historical setting to tell a fictional story. How'd I do?
Very poorly. It tells a true story using real historical figures.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:02 pm
That's pretty hilarious. I have never understood people who get so worked up about the mistakes their ancestors made. What is that, five generations separating Martin and this person? I am sure my ancestors were all kinds of flawed and strange. One of my ancestors was ambushed and killed by Native Americans on his way to General Conference, and he has been blamed for getting himself and his travel companions killed ever since. For some reason, that really doesn't bother me. I find it kind of humorous, in fact.

Martin Harris is a wonderfully entertaining character. I would be thrilled to have an ancestor as colorful as he was, warts and all.
It’s hard if you are a white descendant of slave owners—very hard.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Sledge wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:19 pm
I dunno. The Young family seems to have done well for themselves.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Sledge wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:19 pm
I would be very interested to hear about how you struggle with that, Sledge.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:58 pm
Tom wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:48 pm
Box Office Mojo reports that the film grossed $36,000 on Monday. That seems to be an overly-round figure, and I wouldn't be surprised if the number is revised soon. In any case, here are the other stats from the site:

Theaters: 84
Average: $428
To date: $162,928
Tuesday’s numbers:

Daily gross: $36,500
Average: $434
Gross to date: $206,990
Wednesday:

Daily gross: $23,500 (6th place for U.S. domestic box office on Wednesday)
Average: $279
Gross to date: $230,490

How long will it run?

I know some Canadians who are anxiously waiting for it to arrive.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:40 am
How long will it run?
Everybody Wang Chung posted this announcement. No idea where he got the information from.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=926
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Thank you. I should have been clearer. Predictions for how long it will be in theaters?

Megaplex is now showing it through June 15, but there could be an extension.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Witnesses is #6 on boxofficemojo.com today but the $230k box office take is anemic. All the other films in the top 10 have made $millions. I guess the sun peeks through the clouds occasionally Dr. P.

I'm going to try to see the movie this Saturday. I hope it isn't a rehash of Saints or other seminary nonsense. Luckily we can have an adult beverage in theaters in Las Vegas if it is.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I was just looking at the other offerings in Las Vegas and I kept coming back to "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Hate the Witnesses." We'll see what happens on Saturday.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.