WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

Post by Dr Exiled »

I just had a vision of Mormon Jesus Dr. P. He has a tepid response to Witnesses so far. But if it catches fire, you know Mormon Jesus, through the brethren, will be all over it. You know how Mormon Jesus do, working through the brethren 'n crap.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:14 am
Thank you. I should have been clearer. Predictions for how long it will be in theaters?

Megaplex is now showing it through June 15, but there could be an extension.
Apologies! I misunderstood! :oops:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:37 am
I was just looking at the other offerings in Las Vegas and I kept coming back to "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Hate the Witnesses." We'll see what happens on Saturday.
I must admit that after some debate last Sunday, my ward elders quorum voted to see the faith-based indie The Girl Who Believes in Miracles rather than Witnesses this coming Saturday night. The film, which stars Mira Sorvino (Romy and Michele's High School Reunion) and Kevin Sorbo (Hercules: The Legendary Journeys), has been a small success, grossing more than $3,000,000.
Last edited by Tom on Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:28 am
Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:14 am
Thank you. I should have been clearer. Predictions for how long it will be in theaters?

Megaplex is now showing it through June 15, but there could be an extension.
Apologies! I misunderstood! :oops:
Don’t mention it! :D
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Kishkumen wrote:
I would be very interested to hear about how you struggle with that, Sledge.
I found out, through Ancestry.com after doing some family research, that many generations back I had an uncle who likely was a slave owner.

I live in a multicultural area with a lot of First Nation friends (some whom I would consider family), and I interact with people from all walks of life and culture through my profession. So I have a lot of "white guilt" I guess you could say.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Sledge wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:07 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
I would be very interested to hear about how you struggle with that, Sledge.
I found out, through Ancestry.com after doing some family research, that many generations back I had an uncle who likely was a slave owner.

I live in a multicultural area with a lot of First Nation friends (some whom I would consider family), and I interact with people from all walks of life and culture through my profession. So I have a lot of "white guilt" I guess you could say.
I'm not aware of any slave owners among my ancestors, so I don't have to suffer that way.

I do salute you, though, for acknowledging your situation.

I can only think that it may somewhat heighten your sensitivity in some respects when interacting with people from other cultures.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

An interesting exchange on Sic et Non:
Defund the Police: ... I saw your movie. It could have been better and less confusing with a few rewrites and edits. For example, the Carthage jail scene will be very confusing to any non-member. They won’t understand why Joseph was in jail and will be confused about Oliver’s flashback dream sequence about the mob killing Joseph. I think your film could have benefited from a little explanation about why Joseph was in jail and why the mob stormed Carthage. And the scene where David and Joseph have a short discussion about Fanny Alger is going to be very confusing for a non-member. Fanny isn’t in the movie and outside of the short discussion, there is no mention of polygamy in the movie. I was hoping your film would have addresses this difficult issue and how divisive it was for three witnesses to grapple with. There are many other issues that could have been handled much better in the film that I would like to discuss with you if you are game.

[Executive Producer]: We decided not to make the film six hours long. It doesn't cover the Nauvoo period.

We had to tell the basic story of four protagonists, focused on the Book of Mormon witnesses.

I'm satisfied with our coverage. I'm happy if it raises questions.
Of course, DTP wasn't suggesting that the film "cover the Nauvoo period" or that it be six hours long. He was suggesting that some additional explanation on some points could have benefited the film. He was suggesting that polygamy should have been addressed beyond a short discussion.

An additional response to Defund the Police's comment worth noting:
Ruprecht Donavan Defund The Police • 9 hours ago
|there is no mention of polygamy in the movie

Why bring up an irrelevant plot point?
In a strange development, the executive producer upvoted Ruprecht Donavan's response.

I am reminded of something that the executive producer wrote last year after a screening of a not-yet-final version of the film:
I like the honesty of it--I always insisted that matters like the introduction of early plural marriage and the failure of the Kirtland Bank had to be mentioned, if not comprehensively addressed--and it does that. Truth be told, there was no push-back against me on that point. They could not really be avoided, because they played a significant role in the departure of Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, and David Whitmer from the Church. We know full well that, if we try to sugar coat or whitewash things, our credibility will be irreparably damaged. Besides, I've always been for full disclosure. I'm confident that the Church's truth claims will withstand scrutiny, and I think that attempting to hide difficult or challenging is a recipe for disaster in the long term.
I'll be interested to see whether the film tries to "sugar coat or whitewash things." Is polygamy an "irrelevant plot point"?
Last edited by Tom on Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Tom wrote: Of course, DTP wasn't suggesting that the film
DCP’s evil(er) twin?
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

I counted 9 megaplex theaters playing witnesses once per day in the Phoenix area- I could be wrong on the number of times per day.

However i am surprised when i asked my TBM and Stake President son at Sunday dinner, are you going to see the Witnesses movie. Deer in the headlight look from him. Now he is very well connected with Area and some general authorities so i was very surprised when he said he knew nothing about it. i gave him the details. But this leads me to believe that the Brethren kept this movie tight and did not endorse it nor mention to members to go and see it or take a friend and invite them to a Gospel moment. So the Brethern have not skewed the number of theater goers and have left DCP to sink or swim on his own. Actually that if true was a wise move by Russell M. Nelson and company because if it sinks they are safe on shore.If it succeeds they can grab it from DCP and put it in the propaganda machine.

i predicted early on that if an apostle or two saw the movie privately they would encourage DCP to abandon it. So an apostle did not see it or he saw it and felt it was not bad enough to warrant yanking from the members seeing it in theaters. ion any event DCP can hope that Bedwetter quotes it in the
next general conference- that would bring in a few streaming nickels.

i told early Tad Walsh? that it was being made and suggested he review it! by the way any reviews good or bad gone viral.

k
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:40 am
Tom wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:58 pm

Tuesday’s numbers:

Daily gross: $36,500
Theaters: 84
Average: $434
Gross to date: $206,990
Wednesday:

Daily gross: $23,500 (6th [edit: actually, 7th] place for U.S. domestic box office on Wednesday)
Average: $279
Gross to date: $230,490
Thursday:

Daily gross: $20,669 (7th place)
Average: $246
Gross to date: $251,159