WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

Post by Rivendale »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:48 pm
Shulem wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:41 pm
And give it 5 STARS no matter what you think of the movie. No need to be honest and say what you really think.
And please verify whether the scene depicting Joseph Smith hitting a ruffian upside the head with the golden plates was included in the final version or whether it's part of the comedic outtakes at the end of the film.
I still don't understand the logic of multiple bad guys hiding incognito along the pathway rather than a swarm attack.
Last edited by Rivendale on Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Tom wrote:
Shulem wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:41 pm
And give it 5 STARS no matter what you think of the movie. No need to be honest and say what you really think.
And please verify whether the scene depicting Joseph Smith hitting a ruffian upside the head with the golden plates was included in the final version or whether it's part of the comedic outtakes at the end of the film.
Its not in there. Had to fix that. It shows he's gripping the plates and swings at the guy, but then he gets up and finds the plates a few feet away. Kind of awkward like they had him hitting the guy with the plates them tries to fix that afterword.

The scene with the guy hitting Joseph with the gun is in there. Joseph got hit, but came up looking as if nothing happened. It took him one swift punch back at the guy and the guy was out cold. I mean it'd be a difficult scene to get to look authentic. A better part is just after that, it shows another guy looking around a tree, as if he has eyes on JOseph. He looks again and gets confused, as he backs again behind the tree. Suddenly from behind Joseph is there, plates in one had and the stick in the other. Joseph clubs him. The guy goes down and Joseph continues on his way. It was terribly executed, but really silly looking.
Last edited by dastardly stem on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I have not been loosing any sleep anticipating this movie. I was positively surprised that the subject was an extended view of the life experience of these witness. That gives the movie some positive value.

I told myself that I would not fuss about cinematic accomplishments and expertise. Why not just give the film a bit of slack and let it tell its story. Then some teenage part of my brain jumped up ........then I later decided to go back and snip my teenage comment about white shirts. It was out of character of my first comment.
Last edited by huckelberry on Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:41 pm
Tom wrote:

Its in there. Joseph got hit, but came up looking as if nothing happened. It took him one swift punch back at the guy and the guy was out cold. I mean it'd be a difficult scene to get to look authentic. A better part is just after that, it shows another guy looking around a tree, as if he has eyes on JOseph. He looks again and gets confused, as he backs again behind the tree. Suddenly from behind Joseph is there, plates in one had and the stick in the other. Joseph clubs him. The guy goes down and Joseph continues on his way. It was terribly executed, but really silly looking.
Thanks for the review, Stem! Like Tom, I also had a question: Were you able to see the "wireless mic" strapped to the back of Martin Harris's trousers during one of the praying scenes?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:19 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:41 pm

Its in there. Joseph got hit, but came up looking as if nothing happened. It took him one swift punch back at the guy and the guy was out cold. I mean it'd be a difficult scene to get to look authentic. A better part is just after that, it shows another guy looking around a tree, as if he has eyes on JOseph. He looks again and gets confused, as he backs again behind the tree. Suddenly from behind Joseph is there, plates in one had and the stick in the other. Joseph clubs him. The guy goes down and Joseph continues on his way. It was terribly executed, but really silly looking.
Thanks for the review, Stem! Like Tom, I also had a question: Were you able to see the "wireless mic" strapped to the back of Martin Harris's trousers during one of the praying scenes?
Oh. I missed that. Wouldn't surprise me. Whitmers scene repenting to Joseph after having lost the plates was priceless though.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

A “Daniel P” posted this 5-star review:
2 hours ago "Witnesses" tells a powerful story with humor, honesty, and emotion. It frankly acknowledges difficult issues such as the advent of plural marriage and the failure of the Kirtland Bank, as well as bruised egos in the early history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Against a background that mingles friendship, family, and remarkable spiritual manifestations with violent persecution, enormous internal and external stress, interpersonal strife, and even alienation, the continued insistence by Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, and David Whitmer that they, with Joseph Smith, had seen an angel and the golden plates and had literally heard the voice of God is deeply impressive. So is the fact that a movie as good and as visually beautiful as this one was created on what was, by Hollywood standards, an extremely modest budget. That's a tribute to Mark Goodman, James Jordan, Russell Richins, and to the wonderful people who worked with them.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

A couple of additional nuggets....

When Oliver confronted Joseph about fanny, he responds to Oliver with a claim that they were sealed by the power of God. Of course were aware that conflicts with the timing. The sealing power came later.

The scene where the 3 witnesses experienced an angel was bad. It only showed them looking up and seeing a light. Martin's lines about "tis enough" doesn't fit. He's standing looking at the light with Joseph looking at Martin with a smile. I think the accounts as recorded would depict a personal internal spiritual encounter with Martin coming out of it with a "tis enough..."
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Thank you for the detailed review and comments, dastardly stem. If you were rating it on a scale of 0-5 stars, how many stars would you give it?
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:33 pm
A couple of additional nuggets....

When Oliver confronted Joseph about fanny, he responds to Oliver with a claim that they were sealed by the power of God. Of course were aware that conflicts with the timing. The sealing power came later.

The scene where the 3 witnesses experienced an angel was bad. It only showed them looking up and seeing a light. Martin's lines about "tis enough" doesn't fit. He's standing looking at the light with Joseph looking at Martin with a smile. I think the accounts as recorded would depict a personal internal spiritual encounter with Martin coming out of it with a "tis enough..."
That's an interesting point. Would a person without some Mormon knowledge know that an angel was implied? Or would they think something else?
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Did we expect stem’s review to be anything but negative? I certainly didn’t. Unfortunately the closest cinema to me is 75+ miles away so I’ll have to wait for it to be available on the BYUTV app.