WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Regional Representative

Re: WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

Post by Tom »

I would guess that Witnesses is currently being shown in four theaters: the Paramount, in Idaho Falls; the Kaysville 3, in Kaysville, Utah; the Megaplex 18 Theatres at Thanksgiving Point, in Lehi, Utah; and the Movie Mill, in Lethbridge, Canada. A word of warning: don't go to the Worm Creek Opera House in Preston, Idaho, expecting to see the film. It's not showing there.

Some numbers:

Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2021

Gross: $2,828
Theaters: 12
Avg. per theater: $235
Total: $846,480
Day: 76

Thursday, Aug. 19, 2021

Gross: $1,689
Theaters: 12
Avg. per theater: $140
Total: $848,169
Day: 77

For unknown reasons, more recent box office numbers (e.g., from last weekend) are not available from either Box Office Mojo or The Numbers.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I must admit that Witnesses' health took a sudden turn for the worse this past week. According to the co-executive producer, Witnesses will have its final theatrical showings this Thursday. In any case, it's been a remarkable run.

Personally, I hope the Interpreter Foundation will now begin work on a Louis Midgley biopic, an epic film depicting the beginnings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints among the Māori in New Zealand, or a Hugh Nibley biopic depicting an NDE.

The latest numbers:

Friday, Aug. 20, 2021

Gross: $1,336
Theaters: 6
Avg. per theater: $222
Total: $849,505
Day: 78

Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021

Gross: $1,168
Avg. per theater: $194
Total: $850,673
Day: 79

Sunday, Aug. 22, 2021

Gross: $41
Avg. per theater: $6
Total: $850,714
Day: 80

Monday, Aug. 23, 2021

Gross: $720
Avg. per theater: $120
Total: $851,434
Day: 81

Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2021

Gross: $350
Avg. per theater: $58
Total: $851,784
Day: 82

Wednesday, Aug. 25, 2021

Gross: $481
Avg. per theater: $80
Total: $852,265
Day: 83

Thursday, Aug. 26, 2021

Gross: $341
Avg. per theater: $56
Total: $852,606
Day: 84

Friday, Aug. 27, 2021

Gross: $319
Theaters: 3
Avg. per theater: $106
Total: $852,925
Day: 85

Saturday, Aug. 28, 2021

Gross: $466
Avg. per theater: $155
Total: $853,391
Day: 86

Sunday, Aug. 29, 2021

Gross: $75
Avg. per theater: $25
Total: $853,466
Day: 87

Monday, Aug. 30

Gross: $381
Avg. per theater: $127
Total: $853,847
Day: 88

Tuesday, Aug. 31

Gross: $636
Theaters: 5
Avg. per theater: $127
Total: $854,725
Day: 89

Wednesday, Sep. 1

Gross: $431
Avg. per theater: $71
Total: $855,156
Day: 90
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I’m pleased to report the film’s final day and final numbers:

Thursday, Sep.2

Daily gross: $609
Avg. per theater: $102
Grand total gross: $855,765
Day: 91

It’s been quite a ride.

Looking at box office for films released in 2021, Witnesses is in the 66th spot. See https://m.the-numbers.com/box-office-re ... ed-in-2021. It takes sixth place among 2021 limited release movies. See https://m.the-numbers.com/box-office-re ... ed-in-2021.

The film is now available on DVD and Blu-ray at your local Deseret Book. Used copies should be available at Deseret Industries by Monday. No word yet on streaming.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

66th place in a year with zero competition. Oof.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

An interesting update provided by one of SeN’s commenters:
Kenneth Gourdin to the inestimable Professor Sham Wow

This will be my final reply to you. I try not to make a habit out of wasting my time attempting to communicate with the deliberately obtuse (or those who are feigning obtuseness). I think it is perfectly clear to anyone who can read and who can reason that you are sneering. I am not. I saw the movie several times. I have purchased several DVDs of the movie. While my resources are limited, I have done my best to "put my money where my mouth is" in an effort to ensure that the movie performs well at the box office and in post-release media sales such as DVD. I doubt, notwithstanding your allegedly-laudatory comments regarding the movie's box office performance, that you can say the same.
This is eye-opening. How many Mormons who saw Witnesses felt the ‘call to arms’, put down their trowels, and threw money at the MI’s endeavor so it’d be successful?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:26 pm

This will be my final reply to you. I try not to make a habit out of wasting my time attempting to communicate with the deliberately obtuse (or those who are feigning obtuseness). I think it is perfectly clear to anyone who can read and who can reason that you are sneering. I am not. I saw the movie several times. I have purchased several DVDs of the movie. While my resources are limited, I have done my best to "put my money where my mouth is" in an effort to ensure that the movie performs well at the box office and in post-release media sales such as DVD. I doubt, notwithstanding your allegedly-laudatory comments regarding the movie's box office performance, that you can say the same.
This is eye-opening. How many Mormons who saw Witnesses felt the ‘call to arms’, put down their trowels, and threw money at the MI’s endeavor so it’d be successful?

- Doc
And is it really success if a whole bunch of folks are putting their thumbs on one side of the balance?

Methinks Bro Gourdin is cheating in the hopes of creating the mere appearance of success.

They cannot even claim that such actions are needed to redress cheating by critics who are not going to the movies and not buying post-release media - it simply doesn't work that way.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:26 pm

- Doc
Exactly right (to plagiarize a comment from Lou Midgley - he can sue me when he wishes to). It is always about appearance, never reality or truth. If only 100 extras did this in order to bolster the stats (its always all about stats, not reality), then it did even worse than its already dismal performance by a very large part.
Bill Reel personally told me on the phone how he got FAIR's podcast rated to #1 in the nation during his last year. All of the FAIR volunteers visited the FAIR podcast as many times as they could and upvoted it 24/7. While it looked like hundreds of thousands were enjoying the FAIR message, in actuality it was probably a few mere hundred - and those were realistically the majority of FAIR members, not anyone else on the entire planet. It is as the old FARMS scholarship was - merely inbred.
So the podcast got a whopping rating! Everything looked fabulous! FAIR appeared as a force not to be tangled with or taken on, the giant had awoken, and he was marching! Marching onto a glorious victory of influence, savvy, keen intelligence, and just rockin truth! And it was literally a complete farce - but man did it look great on stats and paper!

And that's all they ever want in Mormonism... just a show... just an appearance or semblance of truth and power. It is a placebo. There is nothing real there to sink your teeth into. It's not even on par with being either a red pill or a blue pill, it's smoke and mirrors. And these days, even the lil ole gray haired lady chapel Mormons aren't being take in by the ruse, let alone the good ole boy farmer "I don't read nuthin" types of men either.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:17 pm

Thursday, Sep.2

It’s been quite a ride.

Looking at box office for films released in 2021, Witnesses is in the 66th spot. See https://m.the-numbers.com/box-office-re ... ed-in-2021. It takes sixth place among 2021 limited release movies. See https://m.the-numbers.com/box-office-re ... ed-in-2021.

The film is now available on DVD and Blu-ray at your local Deseret Book. Used copies should be available at Deseret Industries by Monday. No word yet on streaming.
Sweet! I am happy to be able to buy the film on Blu-ray!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:33 pm
Tom wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:17 pm

Thursday, Sep.2

It’s been quite a ride.

Sweet! I am happy to be able to buy the film on Blu-ray!
Please be sure to buy one copy only, Rev.

You don't want to be accused of making the movie have the form of success, but denying the power thereof (with apologies to Paul).
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I only need one Blu-ray for myself, but I may get one for my mom for Christmas! :D
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow