WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
kairos
CTR B

Re: WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

Post by kairos »

Has any LDS critic reviewed this film? Results?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:40 pm
I could see it reaching $1 Million, after a long grind. I bet there might be some downloads from the interpreter site and deseret book that may keep it chugging along. DCP said he had a deal with the BYU religion department. However, I seem to recall that the church loves donations and doesn't like paying for things or paying full price.
After all, when they say they need some help with money they come to you, yet when you go to them with money help they say turn to God...
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:12 pm
Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:07 pm
Thursday, June 17

Gross: $16,228
Theaters: 90
Per Theater: $180
Total Gross: $419,005

$16,228 is the third-lowest daily gross for the film since its opening. (Sunday, June 6 and Sunday, June 13 had lower daily grosses.)

Predictions for the weekend:

Friday: $27,000
Saturday: $30,000
Sunday: $2,900
I didn't do too bad with a prediction of $59,900. Actual results for the weekend, according to The Numbers website:

Friday: $25,081 ($374 per theater)
Saturday: $31,136 ($465 per theater)
Sunday: $2,208 ($33 per theater)

Total weekend gross: $58,425
Total gross: $477,430

One note here: the number of theaters dropped on Friday from 90 to 67.

Prediction for Monday: $19,000
Here's how the Exec. Co. Prod. views those numbers...
Witnesses had quite strong numbers at the box office over the past weekend.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... ching.html

According to Box Office Mojo "Witnesses" ranked 18th for the weekend.

Contextually, the film "Queen Bees" (After reluctantly agreeing to move in to a senior's home, a woman encounters a clique of mean-spirited women and an amorous widower) has nearly topped the million dollars after 10 days and is showing in 600 theatres. 100 more than opening.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

On a separate note, considering the media were invited to opening night, there appears to be a void of film critic reviews of "Witnesses".
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:Prediction for Monday: $19,000
Candidly, I did not expect that 300 members of the Tumbleweed 176th ward would watch the film for Family Home Evening last night. Still, I must admit that my prediction was off.

Monday

Gross: $22,583
Theaters: 78
Avg. Per Theater: $289
Total: $500,013

Note: the numbers of theaters rose from 67 over the weekend to 78.

Prediction for Tuesday: $21,000
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:56 am
On a separate note, considering the media were invited to opening night, there appears to be a void of film critic reviews of "Witnesses".
True. Does the Provo Daily Herald have a movie critic? How about the Deseret News? (I understand that The Church News fired its movie critic after he panned The Book of Mormon Movie, Volume 1: The Agony.) I wonder why Sean Means' review hasn't been posted to Rotten Tomatoes. Has the distributor lobbied for it to be added?
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Tom wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:23 pm
(I understand that The Church News fired its movie critic after he panned The Book of Mormon Movie, Volume 1: The Agony.) I wonder why Sean Means' review hasn't been posted to Rotten Tomatoes. Has the distributor lobbied for it to be added?
Sean Means wrote a nice memorial, in the Tribune, for Jeff Vice when he died.

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php? ... type=cmsid
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:Prediction for Tuesday: $21,000
Missed again. According to The Numbers, the film's Tuesday's numbers beat Monday's and even beat out Crack House of the Dead, which grossed $172 in five theaters on Tuesday.

Tuesday

Gross: $23,712
Theaters: 67
Avg. Per Theater: $354
Total: $523,725

The movie is chugging along. Perhaps it will be screened in Chicken Creek in August after all, and I'll be able to experience all the magic of the Family Movie Event of the Summer myself.

Prediction for Wednesday: $19,000
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Verily it is the stone cut out of the mountain with no hands!
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Tom wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:23 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:56 am
True. Does the Provo Daily Herald have a movie critic? How about the Deseret News? (I understand that The Church News fired its movie critic after he panned The Book of Mormon Movie, Volume 1: The Agony.) I wonder why Sean Means' review hasn't been posted to Rotten Tomatoes. Has the distributor lobbied for it to be added?
It's been out 2 weeks and no serious film critic has seen or reviewed it. Despite there being an opening night for the media. Did Interpreter carefully restrict invitees to the powder puff brigade from Deseret News and LDS Mag?