WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Sledge
Area Authority

Re: WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

Post by Sledge »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:24 am
The Witnesses has been very disappointing on many different levels. At the premier, DCP told two of my friends/colleagues that he was anticipating the film would bring in around 4-5 million in box office revenue. As usual, DCP was spectacularly wrong.
That’s funny, because he told three of my friends/colleagues that he was anticipating the film would not quite break even.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Sledge wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:52 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:24 am
The Witnesses has been very disappointing on many different levels. At the premier, DCP told two of my friends/colleagues that he was anticipating the film would bring in around 4-5 million in box office revenue. As usual, DCP was spectacularly wrong.
That’s funny, because he told three of my friends/colleagues that he was anticipating the film would not quite break even.
It looks like he was spectacularly wrong on both accounts. Now that’s funny!
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I will take the other side on “crashes and burns”. If Witnesses can come close to breaking even financially, that is perpetually recyclable money that donors will be thrilled to see double and triple dipped.

Maybe not a “home run” but a solid base hit for their first at bat with film venturing.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:00 am
I will take the other side on “crashes and burns”. If Witnesses can come close to breaking even financially, that is perpetually recyclable money that donors will be thrilled to see double and triple dipped.

Maybe not a “home run” but a solid base hit for their first at bat with film venturing.
I wonder if we all could put a film together on something?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

So, assuming reasonable success, what is the next project? Three Nephites roaming the earth doing good deeds and getting into adventures, bearing testimony, fighting sasquach (Cain) their nemesis?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Dr Moore wrote:

We've seen rough calculations that the film would need to deliver $3-4 million (perhaps more) at the box office to recoup the $1 million it supposedly cost to make. That looks unlikely.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Last week, the executive producer announced that Witnesses "will commence screening for the first time at the Avon Theater [sic] up in Heber, Utah, later this week." Unfortunately, that wasn't accurate. I am informed that the Relief Society sister in Hideout made a special trip to the Avon last Friday, expecting to see Witnesses, and learned that the film wasn't showing. Needless to say, she was not happy.

However, I am pleased to announce that the film will be shown at the Ideal Theatre beginning on August 6. Be sure to stop at Corner Sweet Treats for homemade ice cream and candy before or after the show.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

What do you all make of how a donor to the Witnesses project feels as reviews and financials come in? If you gave as donation of say $5-10k to the project would you want the executive producer to do some 'splaining?
Would you want your money back or would you be less likely to answer a new call for donations to fund a new production?

k
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dr Moore wrote:

Especially if it ensures paid lunches and travel for staff and executives, which includes keeping the rewards points growing that can be used to offset costs of personal travel.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:00 pm
Dr Moore wrote:

Especially if it ensures paid lunches and travel for staff and executives, which includes keeping the rewards points growing that can be used to offset costs of personal travel.
This is a great point, and raises a very serious moral question: in the Celestial scheme of things, which is the greater offense--outright priestcraft? Or finding "loopholes" in the rules so that one can engage in priestcraft in an "under the radar" sort of way?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14