WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: WITNESSES CRASHES AND BURNS!

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

“Tom” wrote:As for me and my house, I plan to make a special trip to Panguitch tomorrow night with my soulmate and helpmeet to see Witnesses while feasting on the Gem’s famous salmon tacos (blackened salmon gently laid on a warm flour tortilla, blanketed with generous helpings of pickled onions and shredded cabbage, and crowned with a drizzling of Utah’s very best fry sauce), and finishing off several bottles of caffeine- and alcohol-free rhubarb Fresca. Life is good.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Now that I have arrived in Utah, I hope to catch a showing of Witnesses in Payson. I will probably go with my father-in-law, who is active LDS, and any other family and friends who are interested. Then I will share my review here, along with any noteworthy comments from members of my viewing party.

I am excited to see the film!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Fun times Kish! Yesterday, I took my lovely bride to see Black Widow at the Valley Fair mall, located in West Valley City, Utah. I just love to see Jason Bourne Natalia Romanova fight a bunch of brainwashed CIA Russian assassins as she takes down Operation Treadstone the Red Room. This was not my first choice of venue, mind you, since the Megaplex at the Gateway mall in Salt Lake City is closed, ostensibly due to post-Covid economics. Nevertheless, if you’re ever looking to get your eyebrows threaded, buy some knockoff soccer jerseys, and shop for your daughter’s quinceanera the Valley Fair mall is kino.

But I digress.

I noticed as I was buying tickets ($10.85 apiece for a matinee showing!) Paul Wuthrich staring at me from his small 2” by 2” selection box at the e-kiosk. I had an irresistible urge to troll my beautiful better half by buying two tickets to Witnesses, but then I remembered how Mr. Peterson has treated this forum, years of badmouthing the trailer park, refusing to practice his priestcraft here on the Celestial forum, defending the flanks of a $100B+ corporation, and allowing his sycophants to harangue good-faith posters in the comments section of his vanity blog. Sadly, I watched the Black Widow kill a bunch of people, instead.

Anyway. I hope you enjoy the movie!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:21 am
.... I had an irresistible urge to troll my beautiful better half by buying two tickets to Witnesses, but then I remembered how Mr. Peterson has treated this forum, years of badmouthing the trailer park, refusing to practice his priestcraft here on the Celestial forum, defending the flanks of a $100B+ corporation, and allowing his sycophants to harangue good-faith posters in the comments section of his vanity blog. Sadly, I watched the Black Widow kill a bunch of people, instead....
:lol: Somehow, I am getting the sense that in this case "sadly" means "happily"....
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Personally, I’m looking forward to the sequel:

Witnesses 2: Enter the Wagon

It’s a fight tourney hosted by a mad man in an isolated US territory who discovers one of the fighters is there to avenge a sister who fell into the clutches of their cult. Brigham Young will be played by Russell Crowe, Porter Rockwell will be played by Sam Rockwell (of course), and Tom Holland will play our young pugilist looking to come out of this mess with his testicles in tact.

The budget will be $900,000.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Everybody Wang Chung's comment earlier in the thread about the break even point for Witnesses being someway north of the $1 million of donations that have gone (will go?) towards funding the film got me wondering if there had been any research into what portion of box office takings will eventually drop into the LLC company account that has been set up for Witnesses. I found a helpful article in that regard...
On the face of it, the first question seems simple: how is box office ticket income divided? However, it has proved an ongoing controversy, with some filmmakers claiming that cinemas keep most of it and some cinema staff claiming that they hand almost all of it over to filmmakers. I have heard people on both sides wax lyrical about how they have the raw end of the deal.

In order to answer the question, I have been speaking to a number of people in both the distribution and exhibition sectors in the UK and I think I have uncovered what’s really going on (and why both sides think they’re right).

The second question of how much money ends up with the filmmakers presents a different challenge: namely that the economics of each film are unique. However, most films go through the same basic steps of recoupment, meaning we can trace the common route between box office income and profit for the filmmakers and investors.
https://stephenfollows.com/how-a-cinema ... stributed/

From a brief reading of the examples given, Interpreter will likely only recoup circa 5% of the box office takings. Even at 10% they'd need takings of $10 million to get the donations back.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

I note that Mitch Davies (writer) is notably absent from the credits on IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13820428/f ... _=tt_cl_sm
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I gave up following this too much since the viewing of the film seems so long ago. But looking back at the numbers I spotted the astounding figure from last Monday the 5th of July. That day the movie made 699 dollars per theater. That outpaces every day other than opening night. This is what I get out of that:

1. Work holidays are a great day for movies.
2. Dan's continued promotion of the movie has paid off. The trend leading up to that was not looking so good.

I'm feeling less negative about the movie's success as others here. I get it certainly did not/will not make back the kind of money that was put into it. But those were largely donations anyway. It's not as if Dr. Peterson and other producers are going to owe anyone anything. And as he's noted, thousands of people have viewed the film. I'm guessing most of those are faithful members and were quite pleased with the results. I mean, the movie came and went. It was largely a disappointment to me, but it had it's positive aspects. I hope to see more. Perhaps the next movie, if they do an 8 witnesses or something, comes out a little stronger.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:31 pm
I gave up following this too much since the viewing of the film seems so long ago. But looking back at the numbers I spotted the astounding figure from last Monday the 5th of July. That day the movie made 699 dollars per theater. That outpaces every day other than opening night. This is what I get out of that:

1. Work holidays are a great day for movies.
2. Dan's continued promotion of the movie has paid off. The trend leading up to that was not looking so good.

I'm feeling less negative about the movie's success as others here. I get it certainly did not/will not make back the kind of money that was put into it. But those were largely donations anyway. It's not as if Dr. Peterson and other producers are going to owe anyone anything. And as he's noted, thousands of people have viewed the film. I'm guessing most of those are faithful members and were quite pleased with the results. I mean, the movie came and went. It was largely a disappointment to me, but it had it's positive aspects. I hope to see more. Perhaps the next movie, if they do an 8 witnesses or something, comes out a little stronger.
Given that a strong part of the push was a call for wealthy members to buy out whole screenings, I don't think we can rely on the number of tickets sold as a measure of how many people have seen this film.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:19 pm
Given that a strong part of the push was a call for wealthy members to buy out whole screenings, I don't think we can rely on the number of tickets sold as a measure of how many people have seen this film.
Fair enough. I know when I've mentioned it to family and friends who are members, they weren't aware of it.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos