This is not my thread! I am not the OP.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: This is not my thread! I am not the OP.

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:53 pm
What did I miss? What are you all talking about?

We are talking about Facsimile No. 3 and how Dan Peterson knows the name. He came on this board last night and was going to tell us the name.
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:53 pm
What did I miss? What are you all talking about?
The original OP's screenname was "DanPeterson". I do not think that under any circumstances Dr. Peterson would post here again and certainly he would not start a thread showing a YouTube clip of the portion of the Witnesses movie dealing with the Fanny Alger sordid affair. Shulem was the second person to post in the thread so when Shades deleted the OP post, Shulem become the OP.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

I didn’t delete the opening post; the opening poster must’ve deleted it himself.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I deleted it from my other account because I don't see Shades around much and it was really the only call. I'd suggest the 'fake' username ought also be deleted, but I stopped short of that. It's the only moderator act I've performed on the board thus far.

I hadn't clicked on the link prior, otherwise I would have done it sooner. I'd been informed that a certain blog proprietor was unhappy about it, and then I checked it out. As I would say to whoever it is who sends the silly emails -- why given them any credible reason to perceive themselves as victims, or exaggerate their own legal standing?

Especially since it's so unnecessary. Believe me, they love it when stuff like this happens because it's something that they could at least hypothetically actually win against. There isn't anything they like better than somebody shooting 5 minutes of their film from a bad angle within a theater, such that it is of no actual material threat, but such that it crosses a legal line. Why give them the satisfaction?

It's been far more epic watching the meltdown due to the fake movie reviews. I'm neutral on that one. lol. There are really only a few of them, and has been pointed out, there isn't that much difference between that and the Saints bearing testimony with 5 stars rather than actually reviewing the movie. Or shilling for your own film? Talk about crossing an ethical line.

It was fun watching Gemli getting falsely accused of posting one of those reviews when it's obvious to anyone who isn't a total moron that those reviews were fake also. The proprietor at least saw through that one. But wow, you ought to see the meltdown some of his team are having over the last name of the latest critic "Mr. Malice". They're really disparaging this person for his or her last name. Somewhere this is a staunch Latter-day Saint with that last name, just look it up on the NY phonebook online. At least as many Malice's out there as Midgley's.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Dan, I just noticed the entire movie is available on a popular video/social media site, which I will not link to. As of a few minutes ago, it had 326 views. Many people, and I would guess most of them LDS, are watching the movie for free.

I certainly don’t condone movie pirating. Good luck Dan.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:36 pm
Dan, I just noticed the entire movie is available on a popular video/social media site, which I will not link to. As of a few minutes ago, it had 326 views. Many people, and I would guess most of them LDS, are watching the movie for free.

I’m in your camp. I think it’s thievery to not only take someone’s property without their consent, but to also use the stolen goods - in this case watch it. A lot of people put a lot of effort into this film, and they shouldn’t have their labor, creativity, and intellectual property taken from them without recompense.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:36 pm

But the movie was just released! Who would do that? That's terrible. It's just not right. It's dishonest and downright criminal if you ask me.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Shulem post” wrote: But the movie was just released! Who would do that? That's terrible. It's just not right. It's dishonest and downright criminal if you ask me.
The pirated Witness view count is now up to 413. Probably lots of Mormon families watching this film together on Sunday.

I have no idea who would do this. My guess is one of the thousands of people who DCP has slandered, defamed or personally attacked over the last 40 years. Or, a very zealous Mormon who wants to share the Witnesses with everyone.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:12 pm
Shulem post” wrote: But the movie was just released! Who would do that? That's terrible. It's just not right. It's dishonest and downright criminal if you ask me.
The pirated Witness view count is now up to 413. Probably lots of Mormon families watching this film together on Sunday.

I have no idea who would do this. My guess is one of the thousands of people who DCP has slandered, defamed or personally attacked over the last 40 years. Or, a very zealous Mormon who wants to share the Witnesses with everyone.
Regardless of who it is, this is just WRONG. It infuriates me because if this is allowed, then nothing is safe anymore. One can't just photocopy a new book being sold and share it for free on the internet, authors, and film makers deserve to make their money. They legitimately put their time, efforts, talents, and money into making it, to steal it like this is horrendous and entirely illegal and unethical. If this was an over-zealous Mormon attempting to do good, they need to be excommunicated for stealing, at the very least severely reprimanded. Jail would work. If it is an anti-Mormon, send them to jail. This kind of dishonesty and thievery simply cannot be allowed to stand, no matter who the guilty party is. I couldn't possibly get away with anything like this on my You Tube channel.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Regardless of who it is, this is just WRONG. It infuriates me because if this is allowed, then nothing is safe anymore. One can't just photocopy a new book being sold and share it for free, authors, and film makers deserve to make their money. They legitimately put their time, efforts, talents, and money into making it, to steal it like this is horrendous and entirely illegal and unethical. If this was an over-zealous Mormon attempting to do good, they need to be excommunicated for stealing, at the very least severely reprimanded. If it is an anti-Mormon, send them to jail. This kind of dishonesty and thievery simply cannot be allowed to stand, no matter who the guilty party is.
Oh, I don't know, Philo. If you're making a movie these days, then you know before the fact; you know very well that it's going to be pirated. I personally have never watched a pirated movie. I'm not sure that's out of an ethical commitment, but it is a statement of fact. Every movie that goes to the theater ends up on a streaming site. There are so many of these; they get shut down, and then others pop right back up. You'd be sending millions of people to jail. There are equally, cable services and apps that integrate with Amazon Fire or Roku that are based on illegal streaming and customers have no idea. I've been approached twice in the last couple years by people in my HOA about cable services that are too good to be true.