All 11 Megaplex Theaters To Pull Witnesses On Thursday

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: All 11 Megaplex Theaters To Pull Witnesses On Thursday

Post by Dr Moore »

Of course, while ticket sales may fall short of the wished-for grand slam, domestic box office is just one way to monetize film assets. There is international box, the holiday DVD run at Deseret Book, maybe a bit of rental income, and then the silver bullet of streaming rights. Is VidAngel still around? If not then maybe the church will step in for a global youth fireside showing. Not a few stake presidents may decide to show the film in a youth fireside. What about a license for annual seminary and institute streaming rights? I wouldn’t count the chickens just yet. It may very well be that by Christmas 2021, Witnesses comes out to better than gross break even, if only a small but tidy profit. But we all know it isn’t about the money, just in case, right? ;)
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:44 am
Of course, while ticket sales may fall short of the wished-for grand slam, domestic box office is just one way to monetize film assets. There is international box, the holiday DVD run at Deseret Book, maybe a bit of rental income, and then the silver bullet of streaming rights. Is VidAngel still around? If not then maybe the church will step in for a global youth fireside showing. Not a few stake presidents may decide to show the film in a youth fireside. What about a license for annual seminary and institute streaming rights? I wouldn’t count the chickens just yet. It may very well be that by Christmas 2021, Witnesses comes out to better than gross break even, if only a small but tidy profit. But we all know it isn’t about the money, just in case, right? ;)
I agree Dr. Moore. I can see them making their money back, after a long slog, after many, many, many pleas to the black and white narrative of go watch it because the antis hate it.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:21 am
Dr Moore wrote:
I agree Dr. Moore. I can see them making their money back, after a long slog, after many, many, many pleas to the black and white narrative of go watch it because the antis hate it.
That Mormons themselves have to be begged, pleaded with, and coddled to see something so testimony building is itself fascinating...
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

I don't think it is accurate to speak of recouping one's investment, or 'making money back' on this movie, as the million plus dollars it cost were donated, tax free, to a nonprofit. In that sense, those making the donations have already received their return, in the form of a tax deduction.

Prior to the LLC being formed and all of the donations removed from the Interpreter's control, I would have said that any profit made by this movie would go to the Foundation. Now that the private LLC has been formed, however, I would assume all profits would go to it. The listed contact or manager is Peterson, If I recall correctly, but the agent in control of the LLC is a lawyer associated with the church's Intellectual Reserve.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Lem wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:27 am
I don't think it is accurate to speak of recouping one's investment, or 'making money back' on this movie, as the million plus dollars it cost were donated, tax free, to a nonprofit. In that sense, those making the donations have already received their return, in the form of a tax deduction.

Prior to the LLC being formed and all of the donations removed from the Interpreter's control, I would have said that any profit made by this movie would go to the Foundation. Now that the private LLC has been formed, however, I would assume all profits would go to it. The listed contact or manager is Peterson, If I recall correctly, but the agent in control of the LLC is a lawyer associated with the church's Intellectual Reserve.
Im wondering now if this moving of funds to a separate entity was to protect Interpreters funds and to distance themselves from any further financial liability.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr Moore wrote:
There is international box, ...
With the right dubbing (like with the Woody Allen movie What's Up, Tiger Lily?) it could be a big hit in China and Dubai.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I was a teenager before it was cool.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Lem wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:27 am

Is it a Utah LLC? What's the name of it? Also, my guess is that the church lawyer is merely the resident agent, so designated to receive legal papers if the LLC is sued for some reason.

The interesting questions come from having a for profit LLC supposedly getting the profits from a film financed by money donated to a 501(c)(3). I am not a tax lawyer or accountant, but maybe those who donated money to Witnesses should check on whether their donations are still tax free? Also, what is DCP going to do with the money? Who else is involved in the LLC? DCP is the named manager but others could be involved holding membership interests in the entity. Is the church involved? Is this why the intellectual reserve lawyer was chosen to be the resident agent? Was the church involved on the script?
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

The film’s weekend gross has been revised from $155K down to $126,370 on Box Office Mojo. Previously, Sunday’s estimated gross was $40K. That figure is now $6,459. I believe Friday’s gross was revised up by $5,000.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/r ... e_table_11

The Megaplex Theatres website now lists the film as playing through Tuesday, June 15.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Tom wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:45 pm
The film’s weekend gross has been revised from $155K down to $126,370 on Box Office Mojo. Previously, Sunday’s estimated gross was $40K. That figure is now $6,459.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/r ... e_table_11

The Megaplex Theatres website now lists the film as playing through Tuesday, June 15.
I didn't realize until just now that Megaplex is obviously possessed by Satanic forces. And who is this box office mojo, a child of satan?