All 11 Megaplex Theaters To Pull Witnesses On Thursday

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: All 11 Megaplex Theaters To Pull Witnesses On Thursday

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:51 pm
I feel like I did a disservice to the film by not predicting some of the pitfalls and warning SeN about it.

Here is the movie description on IMDB:
For nearly 200 years, skeptics and critics have been trying to explain away what many Book of Mormon witnesses stated-that they had seen angels and hefted golden metal plates containing ancient inscriptions.
that's a terrible way to promote the film to non-members. good heavens.
Oh my good gadfry... who on earth thought up that description?! Ayiyi, so much for them to learn, so little time...
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:45 pm
Unless something changes, Thursday will be the last day all Megaplex Theaters are showing "Witnesses."

I wonder if the other theaters will follow suit or if they stop showing the film sooner?

I wish I knew more about the movie industry. Is this normal, good news or bad news?
Frankly, I am disappointed. I hope this isn't true. I was hoping to see the film during my July trip to Utah. I wanted to see this on the big screen. Now I will be stuck streaming it as a rental through Amazon vel sim. Ugh.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:45 pm
Unless something changes, Thursday will be the last day all Megaplex Theaters are showing "Witnesses."

I wonder if the other theaters will follow suit or if they stop showing the film sooner?

I wish I knew more about the movie industry. Is this normal, good news or bad news?
This is very typical. I am a fan of rock and roll documentary movies about Journey, Motley Crue, Rush, etc. They'll roll the movies out for a day, or three days, to the big megaplex theaters and then pull them.

There's a guy in my old ward who was a studio exec. He made animated films. They'd run for a couple of days and then adios. To video.

I went to see a great indie movie in a megaplex last week; Dream Horse, about a race horse syndicate organized by a Welsh town. It lasted a week. Great flick but hard for my ears to understand Welsh English.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:55 pm
This is very typical. I am a fan of rock and roll documentary movies about Journey, Motley Crue, Rush, etc. They'll roll the movies out for a day, or three days, to the big megaplex theaters and then pull them.

There's a guy in my old ward who was a studio exec. He made animated films. They'd run for a couple of days and then adios. To video.
Oh well. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. It was unrealistic to think I could see it in July.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:38 pm

Ouch! Also keep in mind that those box office proceeds have to be shared with the movie theater. The total amount that the movie has made is probably closer to $40,000.
Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:17 pm
I believe exhibition will take 30-50% depending on the studio relationship.
Will the distributor also be taking a cut?
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

For a tiny, niche movie like "Witnesses", this probably isn't unexpected. You always hope you've got the next "Blair Witch Project" on your hands, but I guess it isn't to be.

But it looks like there's a movie about Emma coming out in August. It's quite a unique take on the story. But they spelled her name wrong in the trailer.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:42 pm
The whole movie was a dumb idea in the first place. Stoopid.

That's my take.
The movie will be shown to LDS seminary and institute classes for years to come. I am hoping it finally comes to YouTube.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

Ramus_Stein wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:54 pm
I mean, how can you take a story about angels, gold books, and treasure diggers and make it sound completely boring? Let an apologist describe it to you.
Excellent.

Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Kishkumen wrote: Oh well. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. It was unrealistic to think I could see it in July.
What if we arrange a private viewing in the home theatre of one of the producers? I hear has 8K.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Sledge wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:39 pm
Kishkumen wrote: Oh well. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. It was unrealistic to think I could see it in July.
What if we arrange a private viewing in the home theatre of one of the producers? I hear has 8K.
If you can pull that off, I am game. That would be amazing.