My Review of the Witnesses

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: My Review of the Witnesses

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

That really is hilarious — and more than a little sad. How would it be to be that obsessed with tearing down the church? www.discussmormonism.com? Mr. Peterson’s obsessive, decades-long crusade against Cassius both here and on the board’s prior iteration, is a sad and sordid affair more akin to addiction and mental illness than virtuously defending the Lord’s kingdom.

:(

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:52 pm
That really is hilarious — and more than a little sad. How would it be to be that obsessed with tearing down the church?"
So the (mis)identification of stir fry in a film is on the level with tearing down the church? That seems a bit too sensitive, if not mildly cultish.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:31 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:52 pm

So the (mis)identification of stir fry in a film is on the level with tearing down the church? That seems a bit too sensitive, if not mildly cultish.
Not when one comes to the testimony that Daniel C. Peterson and anything he writes, produces, sings, or belches IS Mormonism.
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

Thank you for the review, Everybody Wang Chung. It seemed like a fair assessment to me - perhaps because it's about what one familiar with DCP's overall approach to his work would expect. I especially appreciated your description of the ambiance in the theater itself. That said a lot. Your time and effort are appreciated by many of us who live outside the Mormon Curtain.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Is this what is supposed to be Dinty Moore stew from a can? I would have avoided it also. Image
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

The scene with the seer stone and top hat is one that would be easy to get right. Light coloured top hat, face placed right in it to seal out the light - these are well known historical facts that the movie should have gotten right. That they didn’t can only be deliberate. In the recent Nelson video put out by the church, they got the top hat prop right, it was light coloured. But Nelson couldn’t bring himself to properly demonstrate how Joseph used it. He was awkwardly hesitant about being it close to his face.

Why are they scared of showing what the records show actually happened? Why didn’t “Witnesses” get this simple thing right?