Church discontinues Saturday Evening Conference Sessions

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Church discontinues Saturday Evening Conference Sessions

Post by Dr Exiled »

I understand the lack of complaints at having less church. It's less time to have to fake perfection. It's less time where leaders point out made up faults like failure to bring non-members to the boring, repetitious, fault-finding meetings. It's less time having to contemplate impossible to prove claims or nonsensical claims about how God supposedly couldn't forgive sins without Jesus' blood sacrifice. However, there still will be the 10 minutes of imposed guilt during the passing of the sacrament.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:16 pm
I understand the lack of complaints at having less church. It's less time to have to fake perfection. It's less time where leaders point out made up faults like failure to bring non-members to the boring, repetitious, fault-finding meetings. It's less time having to contemplate impossible to prove claims or nonsensical claims about how God supposedly couldn't forgive sins without Jesus' blood sacrifice. However, there still will be the 10 minutes of imposed guilt during the passing of the sacrament.
Dude, have you ever been in a business meeting?
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Sledge wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:24 pm

People get paid to go to those. :twisted:
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Sledge wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:24 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:16 pm
What do you mean by this? I've certainly been in boring business meetings and less is definitely more. Is this what you mean?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Lem wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 pm
Beginning with October’s general conference and continuing thereafter, the Saturday evening sessions will be discontinued. Previously, a Saturday evening session was held for women (in October) and priesthood holders (in April). This change is being made because all sessions of general conference are now available to anyone who desires to watch or listen.
“This change is being made because...”

I don’t get the logic of that sentence. What does that mean?
I'm still wondering about this. Were they previously holding Saturday sessions because all sessions were NOT available to all? Does this mean they decided there was no reason to hold a men's/women's session if they couldn't restrict the audience?
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Dr Exiled wrote:
What do you mean by this? I've certainly been in boring business meetings and less is definitely more. Is this what you mean?
Church is boring! There is no argument from me about that.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Sledge wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:43 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
Church is boring! There is no argument from me about that.
I have yet to find a church that isn't boring. Mormonism certainly doesn't have a monopoly on that.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Lem wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:12 am
I'm still wondering about this. Were they previously holding Saturday sessions because all sessions were NOT available to all? Does this mean they decided there was no reason to hold a men's/women's session if they couldn't restrict the audience?
I don't think we can say for sure. The church is still patriarchal in it's thinking and how it runs the church, but it does like to pay some lip service to women. They would tell us priesthood session were for men to learn how to be good priesthood holders, and while women were not invited to attend, sometimes you would see the occasional women there. They also told us the women's session is for women to learn how to be better women and mothers. Men were not invited other then the men that were needed to be in charge of the session, because we all know women cannot lead or have the priesthood. hehe
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

Reverse course Russel at it again. Saturday evening session is back on. It is amazing how badly god has gotten it when Nelson is talking for him (re: November policy is revelation, but then rescinded) Saturday evening session of conference was cancelled for roughly 50 days and no conference actually occurred during the time it was cancelled.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Dwight wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 am
Reverse course Russel at it again. Saturday evening session is back on. It is amazing how badly god has gotten it when Nelson is talking for him (re: November policy is revelation, but then rescinded) Saturday evening session of conference was cancelled for roughly 50 days and no conference actually occurred during the time it was cancelled.
In June 2021, we announced changes to the next general conference wherein the Saturday evening session would no longer be held. This decision was based on changes in technology that make it possible for all members and friends to view each session of general conference, including the women’s session and the priesthood session.
We recognize the increasing challenges facing members of the Church worldwide in our day. An important way to fortify against these challenges comes through hearing the word of God (see Alma 31:5). Therefore, after additional study and prayer, we have felt impressed to continue to hold the Saturday evening session of general conference, albeit in a different format than in the past.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ion-update
“Holding this session will allow for more gospel topics to be taught and permit more general leaders to address the conference”
This, I think is the real reason behind this bizarre and speedy flip flop. The discontinuing of the Saturday evening session meant either fewer female speakers (reducing it to barely 1 or 2) or giving over more of the other sessions to female speakers. Clearly they've faced a backlash and don't want to relinquish male domination of the main stream sessions. (By "more general leaders" they mean female speakers but daren't say that).
Last edited by IHAQ on Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.