Church discontinues Saturday Evening Conference Sessions

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Mixman76
Nursery

Church discontinues Saturday Evening Conference Sessions

Post by Mixman76 »

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... -june-2021

Looks like TSCC no longer wants to broadcast it’s segregated Conference sessions. Good riddance. The priesthood session was a shame fest for young men, bad PR ever since Kate Kelly and the women’s session was just plain demeaning to women as they still had to answer to men. Thoughts??
Kishkumen
God

Re: Church discontinues Saturday Evening Conference Sessions

Post by Kishkumen »

Looks like a smart move. It really doesn't impact me since I don't waste my time on GC anymore. I struggle to get through podcasts critiquing GC, even by the the best podcasters like RFM.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

The Saturday evening session has been discontinued completely, I see.

I like how the newsroom says it is because the priesthood session can now be seen by anyone.

Was that it's only value?

And we have been having women’s sessions for many years now. They have always been viewable by all.

A complete discontinuation sounds a bit priesthood-centric.

I guess it’s only value was keeping out the women folk.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I prophesy that within the next 10 years, conference will only be once per year.

In the name of Cheese and Rice, Ramen.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

First church goes from three hours to two.

Now conference goes from ten hours to eight.

I predict much rejoicing among the natives.
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

I always got a lot out of the Priesthood session on a number of topics but still dreaded attending.
Mixman76
Nursery

Post by Mixman76 »

consiglieri wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:23 pm
First church goes from three hours to two.

Now conference goes from ten hours to eight.

I predict much rejoicing among the natives.
Hahaha! Love it (cue the laugh track Bill!)

And yes, it does seem very priesthood centric. That sacred “priesthood only” meeting where they made young boys feel absolutely worthless because they masturbate can’t be broadcast to the world.

And Sledge, using the TSCC abbreviation references the fact that this church claims to be the ONE and ONLY true church of an Israeli god that was appropriated by the Roman Empire who used that new religion to conquer other countries and oppress dissenters. Christianity owes more to Constantine than to Peter or Paul.
Anyway, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is not true so, yeah, The So Called Church.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Beginning with October’s general conference and continuing thereafter, the Saturday evening sessions will be discontinued. Previously, a Saturday evening session was held for women (in October) and priesthood holders (in April). This change is being made because all sessions of general conference are now available to anyone who desires to watch or listen.
“This change is being made because...”

I don’t get the logic of that sentence. What does that mean?
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Lem wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 pm
Beginning with October’s general conference and continuing thereafter, the Saturday evening sessions will be discontinued. Previously, a Saturday evening session was held for women (in October) and priesthood holders (in April). This change is being made because all sessions of general conference are now available to anyone who desires to watch or listen.

A classic non sequiter generally used to hide the true reason.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Lem wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 pm

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014